[Ppnews] Attica Rebellion - New Recordings Reveal Nixon, Rockefeller Praise For Murder

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 13 12:51:56 EDT 2011

On Anniversary of Attica Rebellion New Recordings
Reveal Nixon, Rockefeller Praise For Crackdown

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/9/13/headlines#12

It was 40 years ago today when New York State
police raided a state prison in Attica, New York,
ending a prison uprising to protest inhumane
conditions at the facility. For four days the
unarmed prisoners held 39 prison guards hostage.
On Sept. 13, then New York Gov. Nelson
Rockefeller ordered armed state troopers to raid
the prison. Troopers then shot indiscriminately
more than 2,000 rounds of ammunition. In the end,
39 men would die, including 29 prisoners and 10
guards. After the shooting stopped, police beat
and tortured scores of more prisoners. Newly
uncovered audio recordings reveal that President
Richard Nixon enthusiastically supported the
violent operation when he spoke by phone with New
York Governor Rockefeller on the day of the raid.
Rockefeller confides in the president that before
the raid he thought it was possible that as many
as 300 prisoners could be killed, but went ahead
with the operation anyway. This tape was obtained
by University of New Hampshire at Manchester historian Theresa Lynch.

Operator: “I have Governor Rockefeller for you, sir. There you are.”

Richard Nixon: “Hello.”

Nelson Rockefeller: “Mr. President.”

Nixon: “I know you’ve had a hard day, but I want
you to know that I just back you to the hilt, and
I was sitting here talking to Bob Haldeman. I
didn’t get your call because I’ve had a Cabinet
meeting and then I had a meeting with business
leaders right afterwards and I’ve been ­ I just
got out. But the courage you showed and the
judgment in not granting amnesty, it was right,
and I don’t care what the hell the papers or
anybody else says. I don’t care what they say. I
think that you had to do it that way, because if
you would have granted amnesty in this case, it
would have meant that you would have had prisons
in an uproar all over this country.”

Rockefeller: “That’s right. Absolutely.”

Nixon: “You did the right thing. It’s a tragedy
that these poor fellows are shot, but I just want
you to know that’s my view, and I’ve told the
troops around here they’re to back that right to the hilt.”

Rockefeller: “Well, aren’t you great, Mr.
President. I only called you because I wanted to
alert you that we were going in, and when we went
in, we couldn’t tell whether all 39 hostages
would be killed and maybe two or three hundred prisoners.”

Throughout the tapes, President Nixon discusses
the racial component of the uprising, describing
the prison rebellion as, “basically a black
thing.” Nixon would go on to erroneously state
that all of the victims of crackdown were African
American, downplaying the multi-racial leadership
within Attica at the time of the uprising.

Nixon: “Tell me this, is this ­ are these
primarily blacks that you’re dealing with?”

Rockefeller: “Oh, yes, the whole thing was led by the blacks.”

Nixon: “I’ll be darned. Are all the prisoners
that were killed blacks? Or are there any...”

Rockefeller: “I haven’t got that report, but I’d
have to ­ I would say just off hand, yes. We did
though, only when they were in the process of
murdering the guards, or when they were attacking
our people as they came in to get the guards.

Nixon: “You had to do it.”

Rockefeller: “And otherwise we recaptured all the
cell blocks and so forth without shooting a shot.
And no troopers were wounded. One of them ­ well,
one of them was in the leg. But..."

Nixon: “Only one trooper was wounded?”

Rockefeller: “That’s right.”

Nixon: “Good, good, good.”

Rockefeller: “It really was a beautiful operation.”