[Ppnews] Political Prisoner William ‘Lefty’ Gilday passes away

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 12 11:01:44 EDT 2011

William 'Lefty' Gilday


We are saddened to hear from friends at MCI-Shirley that our friend 
and comrade Lefty Gilday  passed away two nights ago in the "Health 
Services Unit." More information will follow.

Lefty was a revolutionary, pitcher, jail house lawyer extraordinaire. 
He was a friend to all Behind the Wall who kept a sharp sense of 
humor until health problems and medical neglect took their toll. I 
believe Lefty was 82. (His parents lived until ages 99 and 102!) To 
the end, the men at Shirley cared for him despite the hostility they 
encountered from guards and "medical staff."

William 'Lefty' Gilday is a 60s radical sentenced to death for his 
involvement in a bank expropriation while attempting to finance the 
anti-war movement during the Vietnam War. Gilday is a former minor 
league baseball player from A m e s b u r y, Massachusetts, who in 
his early to mid-thirties was arrested on robbery charges. While 
imprisoned he met up with Stanley Bond, a Vietnam helicopter pilot 
also in jail for robbery. The two became friends, and after their 
release, entered into the Student Tutor Education Program (STEP), a 
program designed to help former inmates enter into university level education.

Gilday enrolled in Boston's Northeastern University with another 
fellow inmate, Robert Valeri. Bond entered into Brandeis University. 
It did not take long before the three former inmates got involved in 
the student movements of the 1960s. William Gilday and friends became 
involved in the radical group known as the Students for a Democratic 
Society (SDS) and later moved into a militant offshoot of SDS, known 
as the Weather Underground.

Gilday began to organize around students' rights and the anti-war 
movement. During this period, the three met up with Susan Saxe, 
Katherine Power and Michael Fleischer. The three were college 
students from Brandeis University. According to the FBI, Gilday and 
friends were a "radical, revolutionary group dedicated to attacking 
the United States military system and undermining police powers."

The members engaged in an expropriation of funds from the Bell 
Federal Savings and Loan Association in Philadelphia on September 1, 
1970. They have also been connected with an assault on the National 
Guard armory at Newburyport, Massachusetts, on September 20, 1970, 
which left the armory heavily damaged by fire and explosions. 
Ammunition and a truck were seized during this action but were later 
recovered by authorities.

The Boston Robbery

On September 23, 1970, members of the group entered the State Street 
Bank and Trust Company in Boston with the intent to expropriate funds 
to help finance the movement against the Vietnam War. The group 
retrieved $26,585. As they left, a Boston police officer who had been 
alerted by a silent alarm was shot and killed by a Thompson .45 
caliber sub-machine gun.

Shortly after the incident, Boston police obtained warrants for two 
college students, Susan Saxe and Katherine Power, and former convicts 
Stanley Bond, Robert Valeri and William Gilday.

The five were charged with murdering the policeman during the 
robbery. Robert Valeri was quickly apprehended. Stanley Bond was 
apprehended at Grand Junction, Colorado, four days after the robbery 
while boarding an airplane.

The hunt for Gilday was the largest manhunt in New England history, 
with close to 3,000 police, game wardens, military troops and other 
personnel involved. For eight days, Gilday was successful in evading 
the authorities before being captured after a pursuit with police 
cruisers and a helicopter. He was placed on the 'Most Wanted' list 
approximately two hours prior to being arrested and by the time he 
was placed in custody, there were a total of 69 indictments against him.

In 1972 Bond was killed in an explosion in Walpole State Prison. The 
facts surrounding the explosion still remain in question. According 
to the authorities, Bond was making an explosive that was to be used 
during an attempted escape. Before the explosive could be used, it 
went off, killing Stanley Ray Bond. Some have suggested that 
authorities were aware of the planned escape and booby-trapped the 
explosive to go off when handled. Bond's body was cremated and his 
ashes were placed in Los Angeles National Cemetery at his mother's request.

Robert Valeri became a witness for the state against his accomplices. 
He was sentenced to ten-to fifteen years in prison for manslaughter 
and robbery, and after doing his time, was released. During his time 
in prison, Valeri changed his name to Christopher Alexander and 
served his time under that name.

Michael Fleischer, who was responsible for the actual shooting death 
of the officer in September 1970, also became a witness for the 
state. Fleischer had nine indictments totally dismissed after he 
testified against Gilday and Saxe six years later.

With the help of the testimonies of Fleischer and Valeri, the 
government was successful in framing the murder charge on William 
Gilday rather than Michael Fleischer. Gilday was tried and found 
guilty for the killing of the Boston police officer and was sentenced 
to death. His sentence was later reduced to life imprisonment.

The FBI claimed Saxe and Power were able to elude authorities because 
of the close relationships they developed within the women's 
movement. FBI agents flooded the women's communities of Boston, 
Philadelphia, Lexington (Kentucky), Hartford and New Haven. Their 
conspicuous interrogation of hundreds of politically active women, 
followed by highly publicized grand jury subpoenas and jailings, 
wreaked havoc in health collectives and other vital projects.

Activists and potential supporters were scared off, and fear spread 
across the country, hampering nationally organized women and lesbians.

In March of 1975, Susan Saxe was arrested in Philadelphia and served 
seven years in prison before finally being released. After 
twenty-three years on the run and five years on the 'Most Wanted' 
list, Katherine Power was arrested in 1993 after turning herself in 
to police. She was sentenced to eight to twelve years in prison and 
was released in October of 1999.

Gilday was the only one still held captive. He was incarcerated in 
MCI Shirley in Shirley, Massachusetts. He has had approximately nine 
appeals, having gone to the Supreme Court twice. Despite his 
imprisonment for thirty five years, Gilday remained steadfast in his 
convictions for revolutionary change.

William 'Lefty' Gilday Presente!

Freedom Archives
522 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

415 863-9977

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://freedomarchives.org/pipermail/ppnews_freedomarchives.org/attachments/20110912/0adcf336/attachment.html>

More information about the PPnews mailing list