[Ppnews] Save Troy Davis' life

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Sep 11 11:50:10 EDT 2011

URGENT ACTION NEEDED!

The state of Georgia has set Troy Davis's execution date for midnight
on September 21st, just two weeks from today.

<http://youtu.be/1DGqRFM443Y>Short video featuring Troy's sister
Martina Davis-Correia

Troy Davis is on death row for the 1989 murder of a police officer in
Savannah, GA. Troy has always maintained his innocence, and there was
never any physical evidence linking him to the crime.

Seven out of the nine non-police witnesses have since recanted or
changed their testimony, some citing police intimidation. A judge
labeled his own ruling as "not ironclad" and the original prosecutor
has voiced reservations about Davis's guilt. New witnesses have come
forth identifying another suspect.

Despite this, the state of Georgia has signed his 4th death warrant.

See below for actions you can take from the Troy Davis campaign,
National Coalition Against the Death Penalty, Amnesty International,
and NAACP.

Click here for info on
<http://blog.amnestyusa.org/category/deathpenalty/>Days of Solidarity
with Troy Davis Sept 16 - 19 called by Amnesty Intl

 From Amnesty Intl:  The Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles
will hold a
<http://www.ajc.com/news/parole-board-to-again-1162012.html>clemency
hearing for Troy Davis on Monday, September 19, two days before he is
scheduled to be executed at 7 pm on September 21. They have denied
him this request in previous hearings. During the days leading up to
this hearing we should declare our Solidarity with Troy. Come to
Atlanta for the big September 16 march and rally at Ebeneezer Baptist
Church, or
<http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/site/c.6oJCLQPAJiJUG/b.7724163/k.3B3A/Rally_to_Stop_Troy_Davis_Execution/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=6oJCLQPAJiJUG&b=7724163&en=8rLFLRNvG7IOI1MyE6ILJYNJLqJZL6NCLaLKJ3PQJvF&msource=W1109EADP01&tr=y&auid=9445275>organize
events in your own community for that day. Make the weekend of the
17th-18th a time for
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/InterfaithPrayer.doc>reflection
or prayer: for the Davis family, for the MacPhail family, and for
justice to prevail.

An Innocent Man Facing Execution in Georgia
<http://www.ajc.com/news/death-warrant-signed-for-1160699.html>4th
Death warrant signed for Troy Anthony Davis
Tuesday, September 6, 2011

<http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/troy-davis-finality-over-fairness/troy-davis-mosaic-lend-your-face-for-justice/page.do?id=1701026>TROY
MOSAIC: LEND YOUR FACE FOR JUSTICE

MY NAME IS TROY ANTHONY DAVIS, 41 YEARS OLD.
I HAVE BEEN ON DEATH ROW IN GEORGIA FOR 19 -+YEARS.
TROY A. DAVIS 657378
GDCP PO BOX 3877 G-3-79
JACKSON, GEORGIA 30233

Please write to Troy Davis sending letters of encouragement and support.

----------
4th Execution Date, Call to Action

<http://www.ncadp.org/#Troy_Front_Page>NCADP.Org Call to Action

<http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/cases/usa-troy-davis?id=1011343>Amnesty
International Call to Action

<http://www.naacp.org/campaign/davis>NAACP Help Save Troy Davis Call to Action

Troy Davis is scheduled to be executed on September 21st.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear his final appeal earlier this
year. But the story remains the same - Troy Davis could very well be innocent.

However, in the state of Georgia, the Board of Pardons & Paroles
holds the keys to Troy's fate. In the days before Davis' execution,
this Board will hold a final clemency hearing - a final chance to
prevent Troy Davis from being executed.

Davis was convicted on the basis of witness testimony - seven of the
nine original witnesses have since recanted or changed their testimony.

One witness said in a CNN news interview "If I knew then, what I know
now, Troy Davis would not be on death row."

I know it's difficult to believe that a system of justice could be so
terribly flawed, but keep in mind that Troy has survived three
previous execution dates, because people like you kept the justice
system in check!

We've been bracing for this moment and the time for action is now!
Here's what you can do to join the fight:
    *
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=khKPI1ODLgISKaJ&s=hkLYIcPRKkLXIdOUIsE&m=boILKWOsF4JFK1I>Sign
our petition to the Board of Pardons & Paroles urging them to grant
clemency! We'll deliver your signatures next week.
    *
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=nuIVJaPPKjLZIkI&s=hkLYIcPRKkLXIdOUIsE&m=boILKWOsF4JFK1I>Organize
locally for Troy: Take to the streets with us. Soon we'll be
announcing the date for the official Troy Davis Day of Action. Sign
up now to rally in the coming days to stop the execution of Troy Davis.
    * Tell everyone you know! Spread the word about this injustice on
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?status=No+physical+evidence.+Witnesses+recanted.+Stop+the+execution+of+%23TroyDavis%21+http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FTroyPetition+%23TooMuchDoubt>Twitter
by using the hashtag #TooMuchDoubt. Be sure to tell your
<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2Fo93bAE>Facebook
friends Troy's story too!

Thank you for fighting for Troy,

Laura Moye
Director, Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Amnesty International USA
<http://twitter.com/#%21/lauramoye>Follow my Troy Davis updates on
Twitter: @lauramoye