[Ppnews] Pelican Bay - Tortured SHU Prisoners Speak Out - The Struggle Continues

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 9 11:26:29 EDT 2011

Tortured SHU Prisoners Speak Out
The Struggle Continues

[September 2011]

             For the past 10-40 years thousands
of California prisoners have been confined in
CDC-SHU units indefinitely based on status [E.G.,
a gang label – active gang classification, based
on innocuous association activity, and
allegations from confidential inmate informants]
– wherein, they have been demonized as the
worst-of-the-worst, in order to justify decades
of human rights violations – including state
sanctioned torture for the purpose of breaking
the prisoners, and coercing them into becoming
known informants for the state –thereby placing
such prisoners, and their families in serious
danger of retribution; as well as, the
severe-permanent physical and psychological pain
and suffering to these long term SHU prisoners
and their families – directly related to CDCR-SHU
policies and practices, all of which violate U.S.
Constitutional, and international legal
principles [as summarized in the prior formal
complaint and 5-core demands available online].

             As of September 2011, these
SHU-prisoners continue to be subjected to CDCR’s
torturous human rights violations, in spite of
the July 2011 peaceful protest via hunger strike,
wherein thousands of prisoners of all
races/groups united in their effort to bring
mainstream exposure and force an end to such
barbarous policies and practices. [CDCR has
responded with more propaganda, lies, and vague
double talk promises of change in time].

             SHU prisoners are dissatisfied with
CDCR’s response to their formal complaint and (5)
core demands, and therefore will continue to
resist via peaceful protest indefinitely, until
actual changes are implemented as summarized below.

1.     The Formal Complaint and Five (5) Core Demands

Beginning Feb. 5, 2010, dozens of PBSP-SHU
prisoners and their family members and friends
began sending copies of the formal complaint to
numerous law makers, CDCR Secretary Cate, and to
many organizations. CDCR’s response was,..”file
and inmate appeal.” In May 2011, the formal
complaint, notice of hunger strike for July 01,
2011, and Five(5) core demands, were served on
CDCR Sec. Cate, and Warden Lewis. There was no
response
[notably, these documents were all posted on-line in March 2011].

2.     The July 1st Hunger Strike and CDCR’s Response(s)

The H.S. began on July 1st at PBSP-SHU, and
quickly spread to other prisons- at one point
more than 6,600 prisoners participated at
thirteen (13) prisons across the state!

On July 14, 2011, CDCR Undersecretary Kernan
spoke to the inmate representatives via phone
conference, promising them that the (5) core
demands would be addressed, with positive changes
occurring over time. The reps asked Kerman to put
details of the changes on paper for their review.

On July 15, 2011, the reps received the documents
provided by Kernan and determined the documents
were not satisfactory because they were very
vague and did not specify any changes of
substance in relation to the (5) core demands.

       On July 20th, Kernan and additional CDCR
administrators met with the inmate reps in the
PSB-SHU parole board hearing room. Kernan made
more assurances about positive changes to SHU
policies being in the works, and stated he would
meet with the reps again in a couple of weeks in
order to provide specifics as to each of the (5)
core demands re: changes and progress made. As
well as agreeing that, other than adding an extra
day of visiting each week
the rest of the demands
on (#5) re: programs/privileges, were reasonable
and would be granted, as a show of good-faith on CDCR’s part.

       All of the reps (14) then met and
discussed the proposals from Kernan, and then
decided to temporarily suspend the H.S., in order
to give CDCR “a couple of weeks” grace period to
keep their word on the (5) core demands [per Kernan’s request and assurances].

       On August 19th, Kernan and other CDCR
Administrators, met with the reps again, to
follow up on the July 20th assurances re:
specifically addressing the (5) core demands in detail.

       Kernan did not have anything on paper to
specifically address any of the (5) core demands.
The meeting consisted of Kernan’s words – in very
vague, general terms, about CDCR staff working to
come up with some type of step down program for
inmates to get out of SHU, which does not require
debriefing- informant status- and Warden Lewis
stating (SHU) inmates would soon be allowed to
purchase sweat suits, and have the use of a handball on the yard.

The reps pointed out that Kernan’s verbal, vague
presentation was not what was agreed to on July
20th. Kernan responded that “a step down” program
will be operational by the end of this year, or early next year.”

The reps asked for specific details to be
provided on paper to all SHU sections so all
inmates can have something tangible in their
hands. And Kernan eventually agreed to begin
providing this documentation within (2) weeks.
Instead, on Sept. 02, a memo dated Aug. 25th,
entitled gang mg. proposal was only issued to the
(4) principle reps; this document is again,
extremely vague and general. It is not adequate nor acceptable!

       On Aug. 23rd, Kernan appeared before the
Calif. Assembly Public Safety Comm., to answer
questions re: SHU policies and practices, that
were exposed to the world via the H.S
.according
to the transcript of this Aug. 23rd hearing,
Kernan was very vague, general, non-responsive,
and focused on propagating CDCR’s out right lies
about PBSP SHU policies, and the inmates subject
to the torture therein – examples are;
a.       “The courts have found PBSP-SHU policies
meet constitutional standards.” [This is false-
see e.g., Madrid v. Gomez 889 F. Sup. 1146, at
1270, fn 217; see also, Griffin v. Gomez; Lira v.
Cate, [cases cited in formal complaint!]. And,
Chambers v. Florida, 309, U.S. 227, at 237-328 [1940].
b.      “SHU houses (3,000) gang generals, who
spend 24/7 engaging in gang-activity which
threatens prison and public safety; and, we need
to isolate them in harsh conditions, to prevent
them from ordering other inmates to kill staff on
sight,” etc, etc, etc. [This is also false, There
are no rule violation reports/or criminal charges to support this claim!]

c.       When asked directly by the Assembly if
“debriefing places the inmate and his family in
danger?” Kernan failed to answer! Notably Kernan
stated that one certainty is CDCR’s plan to
expand the number of prisoners subject to
solitary confinement torture, by applying the
policies and practices currently reserved for
some suspected gang affiliates, to encompass all
inmates categorized as party to any type of
“disruptive group”[1] [e.g., the tens of
thousands of street gang affiliates in CDCR
prisons]; as well as, CDCR’s intent to continue
to rely on information from “debriefing” inmates,
to keep other inmates in SHU indefinitely!!

On Aug. 31st, PBSP-SHU staff issued (4) memos,
addressing the allowance of the following;
handballs on the yard; ability to purchase sweat
suits; and, with (1) year free of disciplinary
action and committee approval, the ability to get
a yearly photo taken and purchase art pens and
drawing paper from the prison canteen. [While
said memos were being passed out, a Sgt. Was
loudly telling staff to start writing up all
prisoner’s for any type of reason they can think
of, in order to prevent prisoners from getting their newly won privileges!]

3.     SHU Prisoner’s Dissatisfaction with CDCR’s
Response to the Formal Complaint and Five (5) Core Demands;

PBSP-SHU inmates have considered all facts and
circumstances, summarized above, and remain
united in our dissatisfaction with CDCR’s lack of
specific substantive action on our (5) core
demands. Our dissatisfactions are summarized below;

d.      Re: Core Demands #1-3

Our problem with CDCR’s response to core demands #1, 2, and 3 is this

             #1. We remain in (SHU) indefinitely,
deprived of our basic human rights – based on
illegal policies and practices, that amount to
torture; torture of us, as well as our family
members and loved ones on the outside. CDCR
remains in denial, and continues to propagate the
lies re: “worst-of-the-worst” 3000 gang generals,
etc. – in order to dehumanize/demonize us, so as
to maintain the status quo, and “continue to
hammer us” [per Sec. Cate’s press statement
earlier this year], and subject us to “harsh”
conditions [per Kernan’s Aug. 23rd testimony].
These terms “hammer” and “harsh” conditions, are
used in place of the word torture – and the fact
is, CDCR’s intent is to break us down, and coerce
us into becoming state informants! A violation of
international treaty law-period!! This is not acceptable!

             CDCR has failed to produce any
documentation re: details of how their so called
“step-down” program will work, who it will apply
to, exceptions-exclusions etc.; and our problem
is,
”step down” from what”? When someone has been
in (SHU) deprived of normal human contact-
especially the lack of any physical contact with
family/loved ones, for 10-40 years [based on a
“label” without being charged and found guilty of
illegal gang activity]; yet CDCR is dragging it
out, coming with nothing but words, and vague
“proposals,”
which indicate we will have to
remain in (SHU), jumping thru a bunch of CDCR’s
security hoops, to advance through
“steps”
inspite of (3 to 25+) years free of any serious rule violations!

             Plus, we’re certain that CDCR
Administrators have no intention of ever giving
most of us in PBSP short corridor, any real chance for general population!

             #2. CDCR has made clear that one
certainty is, their plan to substantially expand
on the use of “solitary confinement”, via
targeting all prisoners deemed “disruptive
groups” [security threat groups], which is
defined as: “2 or more inmates who are
collectively deemed to be a security threat” –
e.g., all street gang affiliates, prisoners
deemed political-revolutionary etc, etc, etc.
[see also; CCR Title 15; sec. 3000 “Disruptive
Behavior”] which with CDCR’s history of abuse of
policies re:”prison gangs” in solitary
confinement, it’s clear, things will get worse,
not better. This new policy is a way CDCR plans
to maintain their staff and funding status quo,
population – it costs nearly double to house prisoners in solitary confinement!

             Our position is, CDCR’s “plans” to
date, are not acceptable, and are another example
of their intent to maintain, and expand on,
“solitary confinement;” and demonstrate a failure
of the entire CDCR management to make positive
reforms! And, all long term (SHU) inmates should
be released to general populations!! ASAP!!

             #3. Also, the medical care problems
re: core demand #3, have not been resolved!! All
PBSP-SHU inmates suffering from chronic disease,
and denied adequate care at PBSP, due to
deliberate indifference, and efforts to coerce
them to debrief..should all be transferred to New
Folsom Medical SHU, while waiting to be released to general populations!!

e.       Re: Core Demand #4

This issue concerns our poor diet, small portions
– all watered down, dirty trays, etc
 and has not
been fixed- in fact, its gotten worse since we
came off the hunger strike on July 20th!! This
lack of adequate nutritional food/vitamins causes
all of us to lack energy and harms our
mental/physical health – which greatly increases
medical care costs! Plus, our lack of sunlight,
and related lack of vitamin D, is a problem
too..we need better food and portions, clean
trays, and ability to purchase healthy food items
and nutritional supplements ASAP!!

f.       Re: Core Demand #5

There remains a problem with many of our
program/privilege examples listed on demand #5,
not being implemented [e.g., phone calls, canteen
and package issues; T.V./Radio – channels; extra
visiting time- what about the ability to get
photos in visiting room, wherein c/o takes
picture of inmate and visitors thru the glass?].
And, the ones that have been implemented in
PBSP-SHU, have been done in a way that it makes
it real hard for most inmates to get a photo, or
art pens/drawing paper, because the warden has
state via memos, that inmates have to have (1)
year free of discipline, and they must first
“have to go to committee to get approved”
[Kearnan’s Aug. 29h memo to all SHU Wardens does
not say inmates “need to go to committee” for these.

And, having to get sweat suits in yearly
packages, equals another 40-50 ounces of weight,
which means less food items! This weight for
non-food items takes a lot out of food amount;
then, you add all the packaging [e.g. box, etc.],
and we will end up with very little food items in
our packages [e.g. packaging (50-ounces), tennis
shoes (50-ounces), sweat pants, shirt, shorts (40
ounces), thermals (18-20 ounces), equals 158
ounces of a max weight of 480 ounces!] An easy
fix for these non-food items, is that PBSP can
return to their old policy of allowing us to
purchase all “non-food” items, thru special
purchase, just like we continue to do when ordering books and periodicals

In closing, to all SHU-prisoners and all our
outside supporters,[2] we wanted to let you know
[as you can see from this], that this is far from
over..and once again, hopefully for the last
time, we will be risking our lives via a peaceful
hunger strike on Sept 26, 2011 to force positive
changes. Thus, we still need your support to
contact the governor, etc, to force CDCR to make
fair and reasonable changes to their policies, and indicated here. Thank you.

                                                             Respectfully
and in Solidarity,

                                                             From
all PBSP SHU H.S. Reps.

[1] See Cal. Code of Regulations, Title 15,
Section 3000, “Disruptive Group-1 means any gang, other than a prison gang.”
[2] “People” what’s right is right, and we the
people, should not, and will not, compromise
ours, and families, health, safety, and security,
to le CDCR continue to violate our human and
constitutional rights and U.s. international law.
This is wrong, and we the people need to end
these evil inhumane violations! If not now, when? The time is now!!!