[Ppnews] Pawns in a Failed Experiment: Craig Haney on Solitary Confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 1 14:12:50 EDT 2011

“Pawns in a Failed Experiment”: Testimony of Dr.
Craig Haney on Solitary Confinement

September 1, 2011
http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/

by Sal Rodriguez

Dr. Craig Haney, Professor of Psychology at the
University of California at Santa Cruz, testified
before the California Assembly’s Committee on
Public Safety on August 23rd, 2011 regarding the
issue of California’s Security Housing Units
(SHUs). Dr. Haney provides a historical overview
of the use of solitary confinement, litigation
and research on solitary confinement, and
comments on the current state of the California prison system.

A Word Document of this testimony can be
downloaded here:
http://solitarywatch.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/statement-of-professor-craig-haney-to-california-assembly-committee-on-public-safety.docx

Statement of Professor Craig Haney at Hearing of
California Assembly Public Safety Committee, August 23, 2011

My name is Craig Haney. I am a Professor of
Psychology at the University of California, Santa
Cruz. I have been studying the psychological
effects of prison confinement, including the
effects of solitary confinement, for well over 30
years. That research has included in-depth
analyses of the conditions of confinement in many
if not most of the facilities in the California
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
(CDCR), including the Pelican Bay Security
Housing Unit. I have testified as an expert
witness in most of the major prison conditions
lawsuits that have occurred in California over
the last several decades, including ones directly
pertinent to today’s hearing­Toussaint v.
McCarthy,<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn1>[i]Coleman
v.
Gomez,<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn2>[ii]Madrid
v.
Gomez,<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn3>[iii]
and the most recent case of Brown v.
Plata.<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn4>[iv]
In the 10 short minutes I have available to me I
want to make several brief points that hopefully
will put today’s important issues in a somewhat larger context.

The first is some historical context. It is that
CDCR officials certainly knew­or should have
known­at the time they created the Pelican Bay
Security Housing Unit in the late 1980s, that it
would expose prisoners to psychologically
dangerous conditions of confinement. Indeed, as a
society we have known since at least the mid-19th
century that the practice of solitary confinement
was psychologically harmful and could
significantly damage those persons who were
subjected to it on a long-term basis. Indeed, a
hundred or more years before Pelican Bay was
designed and built, public figures like Charles
Dickens and Alexis De Tocqueville wrote
eloquently about the evils of prison solitary
confinement and its power to drive prisoners mad.

Our own United States Supreme Court acknowledged
as much in an 1890 case known as In re Medley,
when Justice Miller wrote that this form of
imprisonment had been universally abandoned
because, in his words: “A considerable number of
the prisoners fell, after even a short
confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from
which it was next to impossible to arouse them,
and others became violently insane; others still,
committed suicide; while those who stood the
ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in
most cases did not recover sufficient mental
activity to be of any subsequent service to the
community.”<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn5>[v]

If CDCR officials were unaware of these vivid
historical precedents, they certainly were aware
of many more immediate ones. Indeed, for the 10
years preceding the construction of Pelican Bay,
the Department was engaged in continuous and
contentious litigation­ from the late 1970s
through the 1980s­that focused on exactly these
issues: the harmful effects of solitary or
isolated confinement and the wrongheadedness of
attempting to use it as a technique to control
prison gangs. Both issues were at the very heart
of a federal court case in which federal judge
Stanley Weigel repeatedly chastised the
Department of Corrections for the inhumane
conditions that were being operated in the
so-called lockup units in San Quentin, Folsom,
Soledad, and DVI. I know this personally because
I provided much of the testimony that helped to establish many of those facts.

Instead of taking that expert information and
those judicial admonitions to heart, CDCR
officials simply and cynically ignored them, and
moved on to create yet another lockup unit, this
one on a vast, unprecedented scale that was
explicitly designed to impose hitherto unimagined
levels of isolation in the “supermax” prison at
Pelican Bay. There can be no doubt that they knew
the risks they were taking with the psyches of
the prisoners who were confined there; as I say,
I and many other experts, and at least one
federal judge, had clearly and repeatedly told
them so throughout the Toussaint litigation. In
fact, in the entire 10-plus year period of that
litigation, the Department never presented one
single expert witness to dispute the facts that
we presented about this potential to do great
harm. They just deliberately and indifferently ignored them.

Indeed, notwithstanding the clear and undeniable
evidence that long-term solitary confinement
exposed prisoners to extreme psychological
dangers, and despite the unprecedented and
uncharted levels of nearly complete isolation to
which they knew Pelican Bay would expose
prisoners, there is no evidence that CDCR
officials ever bothered to consult with any other
psychological or mental health experts about the
design of the facility to obtain advice about
what the effects of the kind of isolation they
were planning to impose might have on the
prisoners in order to determine how those effects
might be ameliorated by one or another design
feature or approach. As one sign of how little
they appeared to care, CDCR officials chose to
open Pelican Bay prison and operate it for well
over a year with only one single master’s level
psychologist on staff to administer to the needs
of the entire population of approximately 4000
prisoners at the entire prison, including the
1500 who were housed under truly dangerous levels of isolation in the SHU.

When those isolated and deprived conditions and
their psychological effects were finally
scrutinized in federal district court a few years
later, Judge Thelton Henderson acknowledged that,
in his words, the Pelican Bay SHU “may press
against the outer limits of what humans can
psychologically
tolerate.”<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn6>[vi]
As you no doubt know, Judge Henderson ordered
some significant changes in certain practices
that took place at the prison, most notably in
its use-of-force policies and the screening and
removal of the most seriously mentally ill
prisoners. He did not shut the prison down,
although perhaps in retrospect wonders if he should have.

What is important to keep in mind, however, is
that although he did not shut the Pelican Bay SHU
down, the facility had only been in operation for
a few years at the time of the hearing in Madrid,
and had been operating for a mere 6 years at the
time of he issued his strongly worded Madrid
opinion. Back then, in 1995, as Judge Henderson
himself noted, “[we could] not begin to speculate
on the impact that Pelican Bay SHU conditions
[might] have on inmates confined in the SHU for
periods of 10 or 20 years or
more.”<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn7>[vii]
Of course, it is now more than20 years since the
facility was opened. Unfortunately, we no longer
need to speculate. Indeed, some of the men who
were on that first busload of prisoners brought
to this stark, barren, and desolate place in the
late 1980s are still there, never having left.

It is critically important in this hearing that
we not lose sight of the fact that all of the men
confined at the Pelican Bay SHU and in other
housing units like it in CDCR continue to be
treated very badly, routinely worse than
prisoners in any civilized nation anywhere else
in the world are treated, under conditions that
many nations and international human
organizations regard as torture. They live their
entire lives within the confines of an 80 square
foot windowless cell, which they leave for an
hour a day when are allowed to enter a concrete
encased but otherwise barren outdoor exercise
pen. Save the small glimpse of overhead sky they
have when they look directly up inside this pen,
they have no contact with the natural world, not
even to touch or see a blade of grass.

They have no contact with the normal social world
either. Indeed, the only regular physical contact
they have with another human being is the
incidental brushing up against the guards who
must first place them in handcuffs and chains
before they escort them out of their cells and
housing units. They visit loved ones through
thick glass and over phones, and are thus denied
the opportunity to ever touch another human being
with affection. This has gone on unabated, for
years and years, for some of these men for several decades now.

Not surprisingly, this mistreatment has had
terrible consequences for many of them. In our
studies of prisoners at Pelican Bay, we have
documented the multiple ways in which they are
suffering. The list of symptoms is far too long
for me to recite in the short time available to
me (but it is contained in the written material I
have provided to your
staff).<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn8>[viii]
In short, prisoners in these units complain of
chronic and overwhelming feelings of sadness,
hopelessness, and depression. Rates of suicide in
the California lockup units are by far the
highest in any prison housing units anywhere in
the country. Many SHU inmates become deeply and
unshakably paranoid, and are profoundly anxious
around and afraid of people (on those rare
occasions when they are allowed contact with
them). Some begin to lose their grasp on their
sanity and badly decompensate. Others are certain
that they will never be able to live normally
among people again and are consumed by this fear.
Many deteriorate mentally and emotionally, and
their capacity to function as remotely effective,
feeling, social beings atrophies

These prisoners are paying a terrible price as
pawns in this failed experiment, a price in terms
of the pain they feel during the time they are
housed in isolation, and a perhaps an even
greater price when they are released and find
they are unable to cope with the demands of a
normal social life outside prison. To my mind,
there is now clear and convincing evidence that
this misguided attempt at managing California
prison gangs simply does not work: when Pelican
Bay came on line in the late 1980s California had
a serious prison gang problem; it now has the
worst one in the entire nation. Indeed, do not
believe the CDCR can present one single shred of
reliable evidence that its
gang-control-through-isolation policy is
effective. In fact, I believe that a compelling
argument can be made that the SHU units actually
have made the state prison system’s gang problem
much worse rather than better. Thus, the
suffering of the SHU prisoners is not only in vain, it is counterproductive.

The specter of gangs is being used as a
justification to continue to impose these
draconian conditions, but it must not be allowed
to. People join gangs in prison for the same
reason that they join them on the streets­because
they believe their own safety and self defense
depends on it, and because they have no other way
to gain access to things they need (like a sense
of belongingness and purpose in a world that
seems to deprive them of it) and things they feel
they want (sometimes illicit things, ones that
are made more attractive by the deprived
circumstances under which they live). But this
also means that gangs can be effectively
controlled in prison in much they same way that
they are effectively controlled on the streets.
To be sure, steps have to be taken to make the
“neighborhoods” in which prisoners live as safe
as possible, by limiting access to the worst
aspects of gang life­weapons and drugs. (In
prison, frankly, this also means doing a better
job of policing correctional officers as well as prisoners.)

More importantly, however, gangs are effectively
controlled on the streets by providing members
and potential members with meaningful and hopeful
alternatives, pathways to genuinely better
futures that they can choose instead of gang
life, and which their gang involvement would
sacrifice. In prison, just as on the streets,
gangs flourish where these kinds of alternatives
are limited or non-existent. The overcrowded
wasteland that the California prison system has
become over the last 30 years, one almost
completely lacking in meaningful rehabilitation
programs, vocational or educational programming
goes a long way in explaining the proliferation of the gangs.

In 2002, for example, only a little more than
half of all prisoners in California were employed
in prison jobs of any
kind.<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn9>[ix]
By 2006, the situation had gotten worse rather
than better: more than 50% of California
prisoners were released from prison that year
without having participated in a single
rehabilitation or job training program nor having
had a single work assignment throughout their
period entire prison
sentence.<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn10>[x]

The gangs have stepped in to fill this void.
Because the CDCR offers most prisoners little or
nothing in the way of programming or pathways to
a better
future,<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_edn11>[xi]
many feel they have little or nothing to lose. In
the same way that gang abatement programs on the
street that focus entirely on punishment and
suppression are doomed to fail, the CDCR’s
SHU-based isolation- and deterrence-only model
will never work in the absence of genuine,
meaningful pathways for prisoners to do productive time.

Finally, I am aware that the CDCR intends to make
some due process modifications in the procedures
and practices that are in use in the Pelican Bay
SHU (and presumably the other SHU units in the
state), and that we are going to hear about them
momentarily from Department of Corrections
officials who will testify next. As best I
understand them, these changes represent first
steps along the path of creating a system that is
fairer and more humane. For this, the Department
is to be applauded. These new procedures suggest
that the CDCR has come a very long way since
those early days when it insisted on stubbornly
ignoring the warnings that many of them give them
about the path they had embarked on. It has taken
a long time­far too long, in my opinion­but at least the process has begun.

However, as a veteran of the process of trying to
create improved prison conditions and practices
in California, I have to remind you that
announcing intentions are not the same thing as
solving problems or actually making
changes.  Moreover, these first steps are not
final solutions and they do not begin to
effectively address the core injustice and
inhumanity of the Pelican Bay­the profound
isolation it imposes and the sheer lengths of
time to which so many men are subjected to it.

I have no reason to believe that Department
officials are insincere, and I am willing to take
them at their word that they are trying to
improve this notorious facility. But Pelican
Bay’s legacy­its history of mistreatment, misery,
and willful neglect­is long-standing. It will
take a great deal of effort, and oversight to
overcome the atmosphere of distrust and abuse
that has surrounded this place. I am hopeful that
this Committee will remain vigilant in this
regard, and help the Department follow through on
its new commitment, a commitment to at least
begin the process of meaningful change.

___________________________

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[i]
Toussaint v. McCarthy, 553 F. Supp. 1365 (1983);
722 F. 2d 1490 (9th Cir. 1984) 711 F. Supp. 536 (1989).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[ii]
Coleman v. Gomez, 912 F. Supp. 1282 (1995).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[iii]
Madrid v. Gomez, 889 F. Supp. 1146 (N.D. Cal. 1995).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[iv]
Brown v. Plata, 131 S.Ct. 1910 (2011).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[v]
In re Medley, 134 U.S. 160, 168 (1890).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[vi]
Madrid at 1268.

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[vii]
Ibid.

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[viii]
In my own study of a representative sample of
prisoners in the Pelican Bay SHU, for example,
every symptom of psychological distress that I
measured but one (fainting spells) was suffered
by more than half of the prisoners. Many of the
symptoms were reported by two-thirds or more of
the prisoners in this isolated housing unit, and
some were suffered by nearly everyone. Well over
half of the Pelican Bay SHU prisoners reported a
constellation of symptoms­headaches, trembling,
sweaty palms, and heart palpitations­that is
commonly associated with hypertension. I also
found that almost all of the prisoners evaluated
reported ruminations or intrusive thoughts, an
oversensitivity to external stimuli, irrational
anger and irritability, difficulties with
attention and often with memory, and a tendency
to socially withdraw. Almost as many prisoners
reported a constellation of symptoms indicative
of mood or emotional disorders­concerns over
emotional flatness or losing the ability to feel,
swings in emotional responding, and feelings of
depression or sadness that did not go away.
Finally, sizable minorities of the prisoners
reported symptoms that are typically only
associated with more extreme forms of
psychopathology­ hallucinations, perceptual
distortions, and thoughts of suicide. See Craig
Haney, Mental Health Issues in Long-Term Solitary
and “Supermax” Confinement, Crime & Delinquency
49, 124-156 (2003). [Previously provided to Committee staff.]

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[ix]
Specifically, only 53.6% of the more than 150,000
California prisoners were employed in any type of
work assignment at the end of the year 2002.
California Department of Corrections, CDC Facts,
January, 2003
(<http://www.cdc.state.ca.us/cdcfacts.htm>http://www.cdc.state.ca.us/cdcfacts.htm).

<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/09/01/pawns-in-a-failed-experiment-testimony-of-dr-craig-haney-on-solitary-confinement/#_ednref>[x]
California Department of Corrections and
Rehabilitation Expert Panel on Adult Offender
Reentry and Recidivism Reduction Programs, Report
to the California State Legislature: A Roadmap
for Effective Offender Programming in California (2007), at p. 7.