[Ppnews] CIA Kidnapped, Tortured "the Wrong Guy"

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 24 12:04:59 EDT 2011

CIA Kidnapped, Tortured "the Wrong Guy," Says
Former Agency Operative Glenn Carle

Sunday 23 October 2011
by: Jason Leopold, Truthout | Video Interview and Report

http://www.truth-out.org/cia-kidnapped-tortured-wrong-man-says-cia-operative-glenn-carle/1319214209

Rob Richer, the No. 2 ranking official in the
CIA's clandestine service, paid a visit to
<http://glenncarle.com/>Glenn Carle's office in
December 2002 and presented the veteran CIA operative with an urgent proposal.

"I want you to go on a temporary assignment,"
Carle recalls Richer telling him. "It's important
for the agency, it's important for the country
and it's important for you. Will you do it?"

Richer, who
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090801796.html>resigned
from the CIA in 2005 and went to work for the
mercenary outfit Blackwater, told Carle that
agency operatives had just rendered a "high-value
target," an Afghan in his mid-forties named
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacha_Wazir>Haji
Pacha Wazir, who was purported to be Osama bin
Laden's personal banker as well as financier for
a number of suspected terrorists. Wazir was being
held at a CIA black site prison in Morocco, and
the agency needed a clandestine officer who spoke
French to take over the interrogation of the detainee.

Carle, formerly the deputy national intelligence
officer for transitional threats, who had no
prior interrogation experience, agreed, and
within 72 hours, he boarded a CIA-chartered jet bound for Morocco.

The Interrogator

Carle recounts what unfolded next in his riveting
book,
<http://www.amazon.com/Interrogator-Education-Glenn-L-Carle/dp/1568586736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319163473&sr=8-1>"The
Interrogator: An Education," which stands as a
damning indictment of the CIA's torture and
rendition program and the Bush administration's
approach to the so-called Global War on Terror.

Carle refers to Wazir in his book as CAPTUS. The
CIA, which did not respond to requests for
comment for this report, would not allow Carle to
print Wazir 's name in his book, nor was he
permitted to disclose the locations of the two
black site prisons where Wazir was imprisoned and tortured.

A report
<http://harpers.org/archive/2011/07/hbc-90008135>published
in Harper's in July first disclosed that
<http://harpers.org/archive/2011/07/hbc-90008135>CAPTUS
is Wazir and the
<http://harpers.org/archive/2011/07/hbc-90008135>location
of the CIA black site prisons where he was held.

During an on-camera interview with Truthout in
Washington, DC, Carle said he originally believed
the agency had captured a "significant Al-Qaeda
leader" who had been a concern to US intelligence agencies "for a long time."

"The assessment that was made of [Wazir] was
quite compelling and I accepted it," Carle said.
"I knew my colleagues to be hard-working and
careful and that they reviewed their assessments
regularly and the assessment was that [Wazir] was
one of the top players in Al-Qaeda."

Although Carle was told by a top agency official
that he should do "whatever it takes to get this
man to talk," which he said he understood meant
using torture to "break this fellow's will" and
obtain intelligence, Carle said he "would not do it [because] it was wrong."

Instead, Carle said he interrogated Wazir using
standard rapport-building techniques and
"psychological manipulation" that led the
detainee to believe Carle was his "friend."

Carle concluded not long after he began
interrogating Wazir that the agency had
"kidnapped" the "wrong guy" and Wazir, who ran an
informal money-transfer business known as a
<http://boingboing.net/2007/11/23/hawala-an-ancient-gl.html>Hawala,
was not a "committed jihadist" or Bin Laden's personal banker.

Wazir was "more like a train conductor who sells
a criminal a ticket," Carle writes in "The
Interrogator." "Slowly, progressively, first in
dismay, then in anger, I had realized that on the
CAPTUS case the Agency, the government, all of
us, had been victims of delusion."

Wazir's life had been "destroyed" based on what
Carle characterized as an "error."

But the CIA's position did not change. The agency
believed Wazir was withholding intelligence due
to the fact that he could not answer specific
questions. So in an attempt to convince him to
reveal information about Al-Qaeda, agency
operatives kidnapped his older brother, Haji
Ghaljai, in December 2002 and held him captive
for six months at the same black site prison.

Carle documented his conclusions about Wazir, and
called for his immediate release, in top-secret
cables he prepared that were supposed to be sent
to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.
However, Carle said when he later inquired about
his cables he discovered they "were never
transmitted so they never formally existed."

The US government eventually moved Wazir from
Morocco to the infamous Salt Pit prison in
Afghanistan, which Carle refers to as "Hotel
California," and then transferred him to the Bagram prison facility.

Psychological Torture

Carle described in great detail the conditions in
which Wazir and other detainees were held at the black site prisons.

“It was instantaneously, completely black,” Carle
said about the black site prisons. “Not dark,
black. A darkness where literally I could not see
my hand
Totally black. And there was loud
incessant noise or a series of other sounds.
Babies wailing, sounds that would appear to be
someone being hit or car crashes or wheels
screeching. The goal is to play upon the senses
so as to disorient the prisoner.”

Carle said he believed the psychological methods
used to disorient detainees rose to the level of
torture. He said that if "things got out of hand"
during an interrogation a CIA psychologist would
step in. Carle said, however, he “never saw any
of the physical techniques being administered [to Wazir]” while he was present.

“Whenever anything came up to make that possible
I wouldn’t allow it,” Carle said. “I stopped it.
So I wasn’t aware of that happening. But I don’t
know what happened to him after I left” the black site prison.

Habeas Denial

Blogger Marcy Wheeler reported that in September
2006 Wazir
<http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/07/11/how-the-government-hid-their-pacha-wazir-mistake-by-denying-habeas-corpus/>filed
a habeas petition and "his suit was ultimately
consolidated with the three Bagram detainees
whose DC Circuit habeas denial remains the
relevant decision denying Bagram detainees habeas."

"But Wazir’s petition was denied in spite of the
fact that a former Bagram detainee revealed that
Wazir had been told some time in June or July
2008 there was no evidence against him," Wheeler wrote.

Tina Foster, a constitutional attorney who
<http://harpers.org/archive/2011/07/hbc-90008135>represented
Wazir in his habeas petition against the US
government, told Harper's, “the Justice
Department maintained that Pacha Wazir was
legally detainable on unspecified grounds, but
that the determination had been properly made by
those with knowledge of his case.”

“Had the conclusions reached by [Carle in cable
assessments he sent about Wazir] not been
destroyed, and instead acknowledged and disclosed
by the government to the court, it would likely
have tipped the scales of justice in his case and
possibly also in other cases,” Foster said.

Wazir was not freed until February 2010, eight years after his capture.

Heavily Redacted

The CIA's Publications Review Board, "under the
guise of 'protecting sources and methods,'
imposed numerous redactions and elliptical
phrases on my manuscript," Carle writes in "The
Interrogator," which was published following a
year-long battle with the agency. "These have
eliminated or softened harsh facts about what our
government has done in pursuit of terrorists,
rounded edges of wrongdoing, and obscured the
corruption of our institutions and of our system
of government caused by the rendition, detention,
and coercive interrogation of terrorists or terrorist suspects."

Still, Carle footnoted the redactions and
summarized, in general terms, what the agency had
censored. For example, in response to a redacted
paragraph on page 134, Carle added this footnote:

The deleted passage concerns my assessment of why
Headquarters would persit in its conceptual and
operational errors in [Wazir's] case. The passage
is acidic. This is the only reason I can see why
it would be redacted, for it reveals no source or
method--other than contemptible institutional incompetence.

Carle told Truthout that since his book was
published in June, he has been the subject of a
"whispering campaign," where "unnamed anonymous
representatives and supporters of [torture] and
defenders of them will speak to significant
members of the media and say, 'You shouldn't take
a chance on [reporting] his story because you
don't want to damage your access to useful sources."

"That's had some effect on my ability to get this
story out," Carle said, without citing the media
outlets that were allegedly contacted. "The
effort clearly has been, and I have heard this
from multiple sources, to keep me from having
access to the major media networks and newspapers
and magazines. It has worked. I have not been
able to share my story on a major network."

Prosecutions Would "Divide Us"

Yet Carle, who retired from the CIA in 2007,
refuses to endorse an investigation and/or
prosecution of key Bush administration and CIA
officials who he said they were responsible for
violating numerous laws in the name of national
security, claiming it would "divide" the country.

"It's not to protect the guilty," Carle told
Truthout about the reasons he does not support
accountability. "I think a trial or series of
trials would divide us, polarize us and become a
he said, she said, 'I attempted to protect the
nation' - and I am sure everyone sincerely
intended to do that - and 'You're just for
political reasons coming after me.' I think that would be counterproductive."

"The country is already 'divided,'" Truthout
retorted, "even without a full-scale
investigation or prosecution. You're well aware
of the partisan bickering currently taking place
in Washington, DC. How would a criminal probe further polarize the country?"

"Well, we are divided in a more distressing way
than at any time since the the Vietnam War,"
Carle said. "But Vietnam was over an issue not
over a political philosophy. By taking steps that
fuel the divisions we don't end them. My
objective is to make the feeling more broad among
the American public that [torture is] un-American
and unacceptable and doesn't work. I think that
comes not by going after the designers of them,
but by taking steps that make the average
American think, 'well, yeah these methods don't
work and are incompatible with what it means to
be an American citizen. So, I think strengthening
the feeling that the measures are wrong is more
important than having three or four people pay a penalty for this."

"I Did My Best"

Another CIA officer took over Wazir’s case in
2003 and Carle returned to the United States. He
said he did not inquire about what happened to
the detainee until he reluctantly typed his name into Google in December 2010.

"I was an undercover CIA operations officer for
most of my career,” Carle said. “I was known to
foreign services around the world as a CIA
officer. It would be unwise for me to associate
my name with an operation. I never asked [about
Wazir] and I never looked. I learned only last
year, nine months after [Wazir] had been freed,
that in fact he had been freed. I knew nothing about it."

Ultimately, Carle said, "I did my best and I
think in this case I made the right decisions and
acted honorably, although I was unable to accomplish much of what I tried."

This work by Truthout is licensed under a
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/>Creative
Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.