[Ppnews] 15 Years of Giving Voice to Women and Transgender Prisoners in California

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 10 18:11:41 EDT 2011

15 Years of Giving Voice to Women and Transgender Prisoners in California

By Angola 3 News, AlterNet
Posted on October 10, 2011, Printed on October 10, 2011
http://www.alternet.org/story/152675/15_years_of_giving_voice_to_women_and_transgender_prisoners_in_california

On Sept. 26, the statewide prisoner hunger strike
resumed after a postponement of almost two months
to give the California Department of Corrections
and Rehabilitation (CDCR) time to implement
policy changes. The CDCR has reported that as of
Sept. 28, almost 12,000 prisoners were striking
and public support is needed in order for the
strike to be most effective. An
<http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/medical-conditions-of-hunger-strikers-worsen-strikers-supporters-keep-fighting-back/>update
posted October 7 at the “Prisoner Hunger Strike
Solidarity” website stated that “medical
conditions are also worsening for strikers
throughout the state. We’ve received reports that
after 12 days of no food, prisoners are once
again losing severe weight and fainting. One
hunger striker at Pelican Bay was denied his
medication and consequently suffered from a heart
attack and is now is an outside hospital in Oregon.”

The current hunger strike demonstrates once again
that injustice fuels resistance, and California
has a rich history of prisoners, former
prisoners, and their supporters taking a stand.
Among these freedom fighters is the
<http://www.womenprisoners.org/>California
Coalition for Women Prisoners (CCWP),
self-publishers of a newsletter entitled The Fire
Inside (archived
<http://www.womenprisoners.org/fire/>here). CCWP
will be celebrating its 15th year anniversary on
October 14, with an event in San Francisco
featuring longtime anti-prison activist and
former political prisoner Angela Davis along with
other speakers and performers.

Our previous coverage of the statewide hunger
strike focused on the issue of
<http://angola3news.blogspot.com/2011/06/solitary-watch-confronts-torture-in-us.html>solitary
confinement, as well as
<http://angola3news.blogspot.com/2011/08/california-prison-crisis-sparks.html>statewide
grassroots organizing against California’s prison
system. In this interview with three members of
CCWP, we examine the treatment of women and
transgender prisoners in California and discuss how CCWP is fighting back.

Diana Block is a founding member of CCWP and has
been working on The Fire Inside newsletter since
it was started. She is a mother and the author of
a memoir entitled
<http://www.akpress.org/2009/items/armthespiritakpress%20>Arm
the Spirit – A Woman’s Journey Underground and Back (AK Press, 2009).

Pam Fadem is a long time member of CCWP and has
worked on the Fire Inside for over 10 years. She
is a mom, a health educator and a disability
rights activist as well. Pam had her own
experience with the criminal injustice system
when she refused to cooperate with a federal
grand jury targeting the Puerto Rican Independence Movement.

Deirdre Wilson is a former prisoner, a program
coordinator for CCWP and a mother. She began to
work with
<http://www.freebatteredwomen.org/resources/research.html>Free
Battered Women/CCWP shortly after she got out of
prison because “the whole FBW/CCWP community made
me feel honored for surviving my experiences and
accepted me just as I was­a rare feeling for people released from prison!”

Angola 3 News: When and how was CCWP first started?

California Coalition for Women Prisoners: First,
we want to thank Angola 3 News for this
opportunity to discuss the California Coalition
for Women Prisoners (CCWP) and The Fire Inside
newsletter. This 15th Anniversary of The Fire
Inside gives us a chance to reflect on where
things were 15 years ago and all the many
struggles that CCWP has been a part of since 1995.

Some of the founding members of CCWP are still
involved with the organization, but many have
gone on to other work and different parts of the
country. Far too many prisoners and former
prisoners have made their transition and are not
around to remind us of our roots.

Luckily, The Fire Inside itself offers first-hand
documentation of this history which is invaluable
for building our movement forward through the next fifteen years and beyond.

CCWP was started by prisoners, former prisoners
and advocates on the outside in 1995 when a
lawsuit,
<http://www.clearinghouse.net/detail.php?id=582>Shumate
v. Wilson, was brought by a team of legal
organizations to challenge the cruel, inhumane,
and unconstitutional medical care that women
prisoners were enduring. The prisoner plaintiffs
in the lawsuit recognized that they couldn’t
expect that legal challenges alone would improve
their conditions of confinement. They wanted to
ignite a grassroots movement to challenge not
only health care conditions but the entire prison
system. CCWP was born from this vision and from
the beginning it included members on both sides of the walls.

Soon after CCWP was started, prisoners decided
that they wanted to put out a newsletter in
collaboration with members outside. As founding
member Charisse Shumate put it in the very first
issue of the newsletter: “I, Charisse Shumate,
wish I could be there with you because as you
grow in numbers, for us behind the walls of CCWF,
the big cover up is going on inside . . . Is it
because they have forgot we are human? If walls
could talk, we would not have to beg help.”
(<http://www.womenprisoners.org/fire/000815.html>FI #1, June 1996).

 From that first issue, published in June 1996,
The Fire Inside has allowed the “walls to talk,”
making visible the lives of tens of thousands of
women and trans prisoners who have been literally disappeared from society.

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-39wHOrIPW0Y/To_ZXzcGPNI/AAAAAAAAAOc/WUknSjqwWD8/s1600/Charisse.jpg>
[]

(Video documentary by Freedom Archives and CCWP
entitled, <http://www.freedomarchives.org/Charisse.html>Charisse Shumate –
Fighting for Our Lives, can be viewed online
<http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/videodir/asx2/d8457.asx>here.)

A3N: What is published in The Fire Inside? How is
it used as an organizing tool?

CCWP: For us, the newsletter has always been more
than a printed set of words and some photos. When
Dana, a former prisoner, suggested the name “The
Fire Inside,” it clicked with all of us
immediately because it signified that this
newsletter could be a means of nurturing the fire
of creativity and resistance on both sides of the walls.

As we say in the editorial for our special 15th
Anniversary Commemorative issue: “Spirit and
character shaped in resistance to systematic
dehumanization give rise to profound expressions
of humanity. The lessons are deeper than the news
of particular issue or events
As long as we have
a voice and can hear the voice of another, we can
transform our conditions. It is not only those on
the inside who suffer. It is not only those on
the outside who provide the inspiration.” (FI #45, fall 2011)

The Fire Inside (FI) has always dealt with news,
issues, events and the many dimensions of
activism and resistance inside the women’s
prisons. FI has been on the front lines of
exploring and contesting the multifaceted ways in
which gender oppression constructs the entire
prison system. Many of the subjects it has opened
up have subsequently been further investigated,
documented and analyzed by advocates, academics,
policymakers and authors across the United States.

Health care, motherhood and parenting, lesbianism
and transgender experience, immigrant prisoners,
racism, parole, spirituality, the
school-to-prison pipeline, decarceration
strategies and resistance are among the many
topics that FI has explored over the years. Since
Fall 2001, a portion of each newsletter has been
translated into Spanish, since many prisoners do
not speak or read English. FI has also engaged in
dialogue about the torture at Abu Ghraib prison
in Iraq, the ravaging impact of Hurricane
Katrina, the racist legacy leading to the
prosecution of the Jena 6 (young black men in
Jena, Louisiana), and the racist prosecution and
incarceration of the New Jersey 4, four young black lesbians in New York State.

FI has provided an opportunity for people who
might not think of themselves as “writers” to see
their own words and thoughts in print, whether as
a full article, an interview, or a collage of
many short statements woven together. These
conversations have provided direction for CCWP’s
activist program that addresses the range of
problems identified in the pages of FI. The
newsletter’s purpose is not just to describe
existing conditions but to support an action program which will transform them.

A3N: What are some of the key projects that CCWP
is involved in today and what role do current and
former prisoners themselves play in CCWP?

CCWP: Our programs are all developed through the
guidance and collaboration of the prisoners and
former prisoners with whom we work. Since the
overwhelming majority of women in prison are
women of color, we prioritize the input of people
from these communities – inside and outside of
prison. Our current projects fall into four main categories:

(1) We monitor and challenge the abusive
conditions inside the women’s prisons, including
grossly inadequate health care, sexual abuse, and
economic exploitation. We are actively supporting
the Supreme Court ruling that requires California
to reduce its prison population by 44,000 over
the next three years. With regular input from
prisoners, we are closely monitoring the state’s
realignment process, which is shifting prisoners
from state to county institutions in order to reduce overcrowding.

Unless realignment means the actual release of
prisoners AND providing those returning to the
community with the livelihood, shelter, trauma
recovery services and peer support they need to
succeed, it is just a matter of channeling
prisoners from one inhumane facility to another.

(2) We fight for the release of women and
transgender prisoners from life sentences as
directed by law. We advocate for changes in the
dysfunctional parole system in order to insure
that all of those eligible for parole are
actually released. We put a focus on the
campaigns for release and change of the laws
regarding survivors of intimate partner battering
and those convicted as juveniles.

Recently we have expanded our work with young
lifers - women and trans prisoners who are
sentenced to life terms, or life without parole,
when they were juveniles, an increasing trend in
California. The U.S. is the only country in the
world that sentences juveniles to life without
parole and California has 270 juveniles in this
category, the largest number in the country. We
are working closely with a group of young lifers
at the Central California Women’s Facility to
educate the public about this issue and pass
legislation that will change this policy.
Currently, SB9, which is pending legislative
approval, is a small step in this direction.

(3) We support women and transgender prisoners in
their process of re-entering the community so
they are able to survive, grow and become fully
involved in the struggle for civil and human
rights. It is extremely difficult for women and
trans people coming out of prison after many
years to sustain their survival and also become
involved with social change activities unless
they receive support and become part of a
community that is dedicated to safety and to making change.

CCWP is developing new methods of offering peer
support for sustainable re-entry and community
involvement through our PAR program (Peer
Advocates for Reentry). Through this program, we
pair up women and trans people coming out of
prison with former prisoners who have been out
for a while to share their experiences, help
navigate the system and encourage people to
become involved with challenging the prison system.

(4) We organize against prison expansion and
advocate for prison population reduction. As part
of the
<http://www.blogger.com/www.curbprisonspending.org>CURB
alliance, we develop campaigns that shift budget
priorities away from incarceration and towards
education and other forms of community
investment. Unless we can reverse the tide of
prison expansion in California and achieve a
shift in public consciousness toward health and
justice instead of destruction and death, we will
not be able to achieve our other long term goals.

The CDCR has a history of trying to coopt
activists working for women prisoners into
supporting so-called “gender responsive” programs
which actually feed into the expansion of the
PIC. We are committed to insuring that any
positive changes for women and trans prisoners do
not lead to more prison beds or buildings.

A3N: Why do you think the number of women
prisoners has increased so sharply as of late?
How, if at all, has the mainstream media
presented the rising incarceration rate?

CCWP: The growth surge for women prisoners began
in the 1980’s and has continued steadily ever
since. The population of women in prison has
grown by about 800% since 1980. A large part of
the increase has to do with the drug war and the
way sentencing for drug-related offenses
accelerated during the eighties. Approximately
one third of all women in prison are now there
due to drug-related offenses. Many women are
serving long sentences for participation in
incidents they were coerced into by men they were involved with.

The rising incarceration rate for women has had a
devastating impact on children, families and the
fabric of community life, especially in
communities-of-color. From a structural
perspective, undermining community fabric is part
of the state’s strategy to destroy the capacity
of communities to effectively resist.

When women prisoners are discussed by the
corporate media, the focus is usually on
sensational cases which involve violence and sex.
The majority of offenses which land women in
prison are ignored along with such chronic,
crucial problems as health care, aging, and
family relations. Legal and economic factors
which have led to the dramatic increases in the
women’s incarceration rate are rarely discussed.
Still, it is important to recognize that
women-centered advocacy organizations have forced
the media to pay more attention to women
prisoners over the past ten years, overcoming some of their invisibility.

A3N: What is different about conditions for
female prisoners in California and throughout the
US, as opposed to their male counterparts?

CCWP: We want to be careful in how we discuss the
differences in conditions between men and women’s
prisons. There are real differences, but our goal
isn’t to make the conditions in women’s prisons
“as good” as the ones in men’s prisons. Rather,
our goal is to decrease the incarceration of all
women, transgender and men prisoners and to
improve conditions of confinement as much as is
possible given the repressive nature of the PIC.

Prisons are organized to reinforce gendered forms
of behavior based on a strict male/female
dichotomy. So in women’s prisons this means that
passivity, femininity, and obedience are
consistently stressed in order to control the
prisoners. There is rampant sexual abuse of large
numbers of women by male officers and the trading
of sexual favors for privileges. Since 80% of the
women in prison have experienced abuse either as
children or adults, the continuation of abusive
treatment in prison is especially damaging. Women
who exhibit so-called “male” behavior and
transgender prisoners who identify as male or are
transitioning from female to male are targeted
for abuse and punishment by correctional
officers. This is also true for prisoners who
have transitioned from male to female.

Approximately 70% of people in women’s prisons
are mothers and the majority were the primary
caretakers of their children before they went to
prison. This means that custody and parenting
issues are extremely important for most women
prisoners in a different way than they are for
men. Many women are pregnant when they come to
prison. Adequate healthcare during and after
their pregnancy is a key issue which men do not
have to face. Women face other specific health
care issues over the course of their confinement
as do trans prisoners. Women are also less likely
to be supported by their former spouse or partner
once they come to prison, leading to greater isolation.

Recently, in response to the US Supreme Court
ruling mandating a reduction in the prison
population, a plan has been floated to
dramatically reduce the women’s prison population
and possibly close a women’s prison. Of course,
in and of themselves these are very positive
steps which CCWP has been advocating for over the years.

However, it is important for us to insure that
such plans are implemented in a way that will
allow them to work. Unless women receive support
and services when they are released, there is
little chance that they will succeed in the
current brutal economic environment with the
types of stigmas and restrictions that all prisoners face.

We also need to insure that the remaining women
prisoners are not subjected to more overcrowding
and further reduction in basic necessities, as
has been occurring over the past couple of years.
And we need to counter any media formula which
exceptionalizes women prisoners while it
demonizes male prisoners. We need to be clear,
mass incarceration is a racist, unjust and
dysfunctional system for men as well as women.

A3N: What are some of the challenges to building
public support for women prisoners? How do you address these challenges?
CCWP: Women prisoners have historically been
invisible to the public. Over the past decade,
largely as a result of demands from women
prisoner organizations, this has become less
true. However, the prototypical image of the
violent, gang-involved, black or brown male
prisoner is still the one the public is inundated
with. It is the one that drives public discourse about prisoners and prisons.

CCWP’s main strategy has always been to create
opportunities for prisoners, former prisoners and
their family members to give voice to their own
experiences and their own humanity. This is key
in countering both invisibility and the demonization of prisoners.

A3N: Andrea Smith, co-founder of INCITE! Women of
Color Against Violence argues that “the
criminalization approach proffered in the
mainstream anti-violence movement doesn’t work.
And, also, this criminalization approach
obfuscates the role of the state in perpetrating
gender violence.” Similarly, in
<http://angola3news.blogspot.com/2010/11/resisting-male-violence-and-prison.html>our
presented a variety of reasons why activists need
to work outside of the criminal "justice" system.
What do you think of Smith and Law's arguments?
What is the best way to reduce and prevent
violence against women both inside and outside prisons?

CCWP: We strongly agree with Smith and Law’s
perspectives. Our work with incarcerated
survivors of domestic violence has been rooted in
exposing the role of the state in perpetrating
gender violence. We have shown how domestic and
state violence are part of a continuum of
patriarchal, gendered violence through our
campaigns to free incarcerated survivors starting
with Theresa Cruz (see Fire Inside Issue #5 &
#15). Not only are women consistently imprisoned
for self-defense against violence, but once they
are incarcerated they are required to accept
guilt and show remorse for these acts in order to be released.

Violence reduction and prevention is a very
complicated issue. Developing community based
alternatives to the state is a necessary but
protracted process. Such alternatives need to be
rooted in consciousness raising and public
education to expose how a violence-steeped
patriarchal state promotes violence on all levels of the society.

It is absurd to look to this type of state to
remedy problems with violence. Instead we need to
work together to create healthy communities and
new transformative structures that uproot the
multi-dimensional causes of violence.

A3N: In what ways did CCWP and women prisoners
participate in the recent statewide hunger strike
in California prisoners? [Editor’s note: This
interview was conducted before the strike restarted on September 26.]

CCWP: We have been an active part of the Prisoner
Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition from the
beginning. Our members have visited prisoners on
strike at Pelican Bay, fasted in solidarity with
the prisoners, attended rallies, the legislative
hearing in Sacramento, and have mailed in information to prisoners.

People in the women’s prisons told us that they
had not known about the strike until they
received information from us. Once they knew
about it, some women fasted for a period of time.
We have an article about the strike in the
commemorative issue of our newsletter.

To us, the hunger strike exemplifies the
leadership that prisoners can take in organizing
against the most torturous of conditions and the
ways in which prisoners can overcome their divisions to act together.

It shines a spotlight on the way in which the
state is increasingly using prolonged solitary
confinement as a means of pressuring prisoners to
inform against each other. It also exposes how
the issue of “gang affiliation” is being used to
silence vocal and active prisoners and keep
prisoners from organizing in any way.

A3N: How can our readers best support CCWP and subscribe to The Fire Inside?

CCWP: If you are in the Bay Area, consider
volunteering with CCWP. We are a volunteer-based
organization with only a couple of paid staff
members, so we are always in need of committed
volunteers. In these challenging economic times,
financial support is also critical. You can
donate
<http://www.womenprisoners.org/donate.html>online
or send a check to: California Coalition for
Women Prisoners, 1540 Market St., Suite 490, San Francisco, CA 94102.

You can also
<http://www.womenprisoners.org/contact.html>join
our Women’s News email list, which is a low
volume list-serve which covers issues and
articles concerning women and transgender
prisoners. You can subscribe to The Fire Inside
through <http://www.womenprisoners.org/fire/>our
website or by sending us a check for $25 (to the
address in the previous paragraph). And if you
are in the area, please join us at our Fire
Inside celebration on Friday, October 14th, 2011
(Silent Arts & Crafts Auction of donations by
local artists begins at 6:30 pm; Program at 7 pm;
$20 donation, no one turned away for lack of
funds; At The Women’s Building, 3543 18th St. @
Valencia, San Francisco, near 16th St. BART
station, Wheelchair accessible; Childcare
available - please
call             415-255-7036       x314 by Monday, Oct. 10.)

Thank you again for the opportunity to share
information about our vision and our work.

Angola 3 News is a project of the International
Coalition to Free the Angola 3. Our website is
www.angola3news.com where we provide the latest news about the Angola 3.

© 2011 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/152675/

[w2]