[Ppnews] Raleigh: Anarchists, Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation Join Up to Protest NC Prisons

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 9 11:57:09 EST 2011

Raleigh: Anarchists, Almighty Latin King and
Queen Nation Join Up to Protest NC Prisons

November 5, 2011
by prisonbookscollective
http://prisonbooks.info/2011/11/05/raleigh-anarchists-almighty-latin-king-and-queen-nation-join-up-to-protest-nc-prisons/

(from anarchistnews.org)

<http://prisonbookscollective.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/img_00901.jpg>
[]

Roughly 60 protesters gathered yesterday in the
freezing cold rain at the headquarters of the NC
Division of Prisons in Raleigh to show our anger
and resentment towards the prison system, and
solidarity with prisoners struggling on the
inside. The crowd represented folks from multiple
cities, and in addition to anarchists and
anti-prison activists was co-organized with and
brought out about 25 members of the Almighty
Latin King and Queen Nation, a street
organization with several members on the inside in NC.

Due to the harassment and recent segregation of
these members, as well as the constant targeting
of politically active NC prisoners and the recent
hunger strike in CA, the demo particularly
focused on solitary confinement. Folks carried
banners like, “Against Solitary – Love for All
Prison Rebels,” “Solitary is Torture,” and
“Against Prisons,” and shouted ALKQN chants and
slogans against cops and prisons.

Needless to say, cops arrived quickly on the
scene and appeared increasingly nervous as the
afternoon went on. A delegation of anarchists and
ALKQN attempted to go in the building, but were
prevented from doing so by armed guards and a terrified-looking Director.

After an hour and a half of drumming and
screaming, we decided to march down the street so
as to be in view of the rear half of Central
Prison, the largest prison in the triangle-area.
Though prevented from marching to the fence by a
line of police cars, prisoners apparently could
see us well enough to gather at the windows in
the corridors of the facility, banging on the glass and pointing.

 From there we marched back to our cars, taking
the opportunity to take a group picture behind a
beautiful black banner depicting a golden crown
and the initials “ADR* – ACAB.” All in all we
made a bunch of new friends yesterday, and will
continue to organize with them into the future.

Though the Occupy movement has captured much
attention as of late nationally, and elements of
it such as Oakland’s general strike and building
reclamation have inspired us, the struggle
against prisons and policing in our state
continues to be a major focus. We’d be lying if
we did not say that this demo, as relatively tame
as it was, felt like a breath of fresh air in
contrast to the endless conversations by a
recently disenfranchised middle-class about
nonviolence and the “99%” which have surrounded
us at various “occupations” in the triangle-area.
Hopefully these struggles can intersect in a
meaningful way, but it does seem that the
“issues” of police and prisons will continue to
be a major line in the sand relative to the
racial and class topography of the Occupy movement.

Until Every Cage is Empty,

some NC anarchists against prisons

* ADR stands for Amor De Rey, a chant and slogan of the ALKQN.

**A brief news story and interview can be seen
at:
<http://triangle.news14.com/content/top_stories/649140/family--friends-rally-for-inmates-in-solitary-confinement>http://triangle.news14.com/content/top_stories/649140/family–friends-rally-for-inmates-in-solitary-confinement

*** For a more exhaustive reflection on
anti-prison efforts in NC, check out:
<http://anarchistnews.org/node/15511>http://anarchistnews.org/node/1551

**** Below is the text from a handbill given out
to media and passersby at the demo:

AGAINST PRISONS (and the world that creates them)

We are here to protest solitary confinement in NC
prisons, and its use against politically active
prisoners. The conditions are unbearable and
amount to torture: years on end in a tiny cell
with little to no stimulation 23 hours a day,
unsanitary and inadequate food, no educational
resources, completely inadequate “healthcare,”
the consistent targeting of Black and Latino and
politically conscious prisoners, a grievance
procedure that amounts to a kangaroo court.

This protest comes on the back of the historic
prisoners’ hunger strike against solitary
confinement in California, which spread to over
11 facilities this summer, and inspired
solidarity strikes in places as far away as
Canada and Palestine. Prisoners in NC have been
active for the last year as well, organizing
radical study groups, staging a yard occupation
in Windsor, hunger strikes in Taylorsville and
Polkton, and speaking out against the beating of
a handcuffed prisoner at Central Prison in Raleigh.

We are the family, friends, and supporters of
those on the inside, both in general population
as well as the “prison within a prison” that is
solitary confinement. These people are our loved
ones and comrades, stolen from us, from our
families, crews, and neighborhoods, by the police
and courts and this very Department of “Corrections.”

We do not accept this. We reject this modern-day
plantation system. We will not sit by while our
friends and family are tortured, while the prison
walls continue to expand until all of society –
work, school, the neighborhood, the city –
resembles prison. We encourage everyone who has
ever had a friend or brother or sister or parent
behind bars, who has ever experienced the
arrogant authority of a judge or cop, to join our
protest in whatever way you can. If the whole
world is like a prison, prison rebellion can happen anywhere.

­-

Two days ago, in the midst of a massive general
strike which shut down the city of Oakland, CA,
hundreds of occupiers took over a vacant building
which had housed the homeless before it was
foreclosed upon by bankers. In the windows of
that building they stretched a massive banner
which declared, “Occupy Everything.”

We are answering their call.

OCCUPY – NC D.O.C.