[Ppnews] Fugitive to surrender in decades-old case

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 9 10:09:50 EST 2011

Fugitive to surrender in decades-old case

Demian Bulwa,Laura Rena Murray, Chronicle Staff Writer


A 67-year-old man accused in a pair of long-ago attacks on police 
officers, including the 1971 slaying of a San Francisco sergeant, is 
poised to turn himself in this week after more than four decades in 
hiding, his attorney said Tuesday.

Ronald Stanley Bridgeforth - an artifact of a turbulent era and an 
alleged former warrior for a violent offshoot of the Black Panthers - 
plans to plead guilty to firing on South San Francisco officers who 
tried to arrest him for credit card fraud at a discount store in 
1968, said his attorney, Paul Harris.

No longer a young activist and community organizer, Bridgeforth now 
has a wife, two grown sons, a master's degree and a pair of arthritic 
hips, Harris said. Last week, Bridgeforth resigned from a job 
teaching and counseling students at an undisclosed 

While prepared to accept punishment, Harris said, Bridgeforth will 
fight more serious charges awaiting him in San Francisco.

There, he was one of eight men charged in 2007 with murdering police 
Sgt. John Young at Ingleside Station on Aug. 29, 1971. Young was 
killed when at least three men burst in, with one firing a shotgun 
through an opening in a bulletproof glass window.

The men, along with a ninth alleged Black Liberation Army veteran, 
were also charged with conspiring to kill officers over the course of 
several years.

Case dissolved

Bridgeforth, the alleged getaway driver, remains the subject of a 
murder warrant, but the landscape of the case has changed radically 
since the charges were filed.

State prosecutors, who took over the case from the city, never took 
it to trial, dismissing charges against six men while securing 
no-contest pleas on reduced charges from two others who were already 
serving life prison terms for other crimes. The last of the charges 
against those defendants were dropped in August.

Harris said Bridgeforth was never in the Black Liberation Army and 
never took part in the killing of peace officers, but was haunted by 
regret over the earlier South San Francisco incident.

Harris said he and his co-counsel, Jason Cueva, will surrender their 
client at 8:45 a.m. Thursday at San Mateo County Superior Court in 
Redwood City.

"He has two sons, and he wants them to be the kind of man he is now, 
not the kind of man who he was that one day in November 1968," said 
Harris, who once helped defend Black Panthers co-founder Huey Newton.

Bridgeforth was not feeling the breath of law enforcement on his 
neck, according to his attorney. "He did not decide to surrender 
because there was any breach in his security," Harris said. "In fact, 
most people thought he was dead."

Many investigators who have pursued Bridgeforth for years declined to 
comment Tuesday, while saying they had no independent confirmation he 
would surrender.

Lynda Gledhill, a spokeswoman for state Attorney General 
<http://www.sfgate.com/kamala-harris/>Kamala Harris, declined to 
comment on the San Francisco case.

Karen Guidotti, the chief deputy district attorney in San Mateo 
County, said prosecutors are putting together records from archives 
in preparation for Bridgeforth's potential appearance.

"We'll wait and see, won't we," Guidotti said. "It will be 
interesting to find out what Mr. Bridgeforth has been up to since 
1969, and what possible motive he may have to surrender himself at 
this particular time."

Stolen credit cards

Defense attorney Harris said that in the South San Francisco 
incident, Bridgeforth and two other men - both of whom were later 
charged in the San Francisco police killing - were confronted after 
trying to use stolen credit cards at a White Front discount store on 
El Camino Real.

When a police car pulled up and blocked the getaway car, Harris said, 
Bridgeforth - who was 24 - jumped out of the backseat and opened 
fire. He struck the squad car but not the officers, who returned fire 
and wounded Bridgeforth in the foot before arresting him.

Guidotti said records show that Bridgeforth pleaded guilty to assault 
with a deadly weapon on March 17, 1969, but jumped bail and did not 
show up for sentencing less than a month later.

He was briefly detained in San Francisco in 1971, in a car with a 
gun, but was released before police realized he was a wanted man.

How Bridgeforth spent his years as a fugitive remained a mystery 
Tuesday. Harris gave a few details, saying his client initially spent 
a year hiding in Africa, eventually married, raised two sons, worked 
as a janitor before earning a master's degree, and finally landed the 
college job.

Echoing an argument that was made by many of the defense lawyers in 
the San Francisco case, Harris said, "He's lived an exemplary life."

E-mail Demian Bulwa at 
<mailto:dbulwa at sfchronicle.com>dbulwa at sfchronicle.com. Demian Bulwa 
is a Chronicle staff writer. Laura Rena Murray is a correspondent.


This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Freedom Archives
522 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

415 863-9977

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://freedomarchives.org/pipermail/ppnews_freedomarchives.org/attachments/20111109/c022f83c/attachment.html>

More information about the PPnews mailing list