[Ppnews] Tortured by Solitude

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Nov 6 12:05:22 EST 2011

Tortured by Solitude

By SARAH SHOURD
Published: November 5, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/in-an-iranian-prison-tortured-by-solitude.html

AT 5:15 p.m. I found myself pacing compulsively
back and forth across my 10-foot-by-14-foot cell
in Iran’s Evin prison, muttering reassurances to
myself and kneading my nervous hands together
into one fat fist. “Don’t worry,” I told myself,
“this is probably your last day alone, they can’t
just let you go crazy in here.”

It was 2009 and the beginning of winter. I had
been in prison in Iran ­ along with my fiancé,
Shane Bauer, and our friend Josh Fattal ­ since
the summer, when we were arrested and charged
with espionage after hiking somewhere near the
country’s unmarked border with Iraqi Kurdistan.
For the last three months, I had been in solitary
confinement 24 hours a day. Only after going on a
hunger strike for five days was I allowed to
visit Shane and Josh for a few minutes at a time,
all of us blindfolded in a padded interrogation
room. The day before, one of my interrogators had
told me that we would now be allowed daily
half-hour visits in an open-air cell. As the hour
for our visit approached, I began pacing my room
frantically, terrified that the promise had just
been a ploy and that the guards wouldn’t be
coming. By 6:15, I was sweating and tears were streaming down my face.

It’s impossible to exaggerate how much the
company of another human being means when you’ve
been cut off from the world and stripped of your rights and freedom.

After two months with next to no human contact,
my mind began to slip. Some days, I heard phantom
footsteps coming down the hall. I spent large
portions of my days crouched down on all fours by
a small slit in the door, listening. In the
periphery of my vision, I began to see flashing
lights, only to jerk my head around to find that
nothing was there. More than once, I beat at the
walls until my knuckles bled and cried myself
into a state of exhaustion. At one point, I heard
someone screaming, and it wasn’t until I felt the
hands of one of the friendlier guards on my face,
trying to revive me, that I realized the screams were my own.

Of the 14 and a half months, or 9,840 hours, I
was held as a political hostage at Evin prison in
Tehran, I spent 9,495 of them in solitary
confinement. When I was released just over a year
ago, I was shocked to find out that the United
Nations
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cat.html>Convention
Against Torture, one of the few conventions the
United States has ratified, does not mention
solitary confinement. I learned that there are
untold numbers of prisoners around the world in
solitary, including an estimated 20,000 to 25,000
in the United States. According to the United
Nations’ special rapporteur on torture, Juan
Méndez, the practice appears to be “growing and
diversifying in its use and severity.”

Amy Fettig at the American Civil Liberties Union
told me: “In the U.S. we use solitary as a
routine prison administrative practice. It’s not
something that’s used as a last recourse, as it
should be.” Last summer, prisoners at Pelican Bay
prison in California went on a hunger strike to
end the practice of isolating some prisoners for
more than 22 hours a day. The strike spread until
thousands of prisoners were participating. Only
when officials agreed to review the use of
solitary confinement did the
prisoners<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/10/prison-hunger-strike-ends.html>
accept food.

Such a review is needed for prisons everywhere,
and particularly in the United States, the
country with, according to Ms. Fettig, the most
prisoners in solitary confinement in the world.
One of the problems, according to Mr. Méndez, is
that there is no universally accepted definition
of solitary confinement. Mr. Méndez and his staff
defined it as “more than 22 to 24 hours isolated
from anyone else except for guards.” They are
calling for clearer standards regarding “what is
disciplinary and what moves into the category of
‘severe pain and suffering, either physical or
mental,’ which is definitely prohibited under
international law.” He has called for a ban on
prolonged solitary confinement, and I very much
agree. Any case that lasts more than 15 days should be carefully investigated.

You don’t have to beat someone to inflict pain
and suffering; the psychological torture of
prolonged solitary confinement leaves no marks,
but its effects are severe and long-lasting.
Fortunately, the guards did come that winter day.
Once I began to have short daily visits with
Shane and Josh, my mental health improved, but
only marginally. At that point I was sunk so deep
inside myself that there were days when I was
brought out to visit them and couldn’t
communicate or even look them in the eyes. After
prison, I was diagnosed with post-traumatic
stress disorder. I still pace and wring my hands
when I am nervous; I still have nightmares and
trouble sleeping. I stopped going to a certain
exercise class because the texture of the ceiling
reminded me of the ceiling in my cell.

Though what the government of Iran did to us was
sickening and flagrantly unjust, I consider us
lucky. We never felt forgotten; we knew that our
families, friends and supporters would not give
up fighting for us. And since I was released last
year, and Shane and Josh were freed in September,
we have gotten more sympathy than most wrongfully
detained prisoners receive in a lifetime.

It’s wonderful to begin my life again, and every
day I feel more free, but I can’t help thinking
about the thousands of others who are alone right
now. I believe the excessive use of solitary
confinement constitutes cruel and unusual
punishment ­ that it is torture. The United
Nations should proscribe this inhumane practice,
and the United States should take the lead role in its eradication.

Sarah Shourd is a writer who was imprisoned in
Iran from July 2009 to September 2010.