[Ppnews] FBI copied tens of thousands of documents seized from anti-war activists

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 4 14:15:17 EDT 2011

FBI confirms that they copied tens of thousands
of documents seized from the homes of local
anti-war activists; originals returned, indictments still looming

Published on Wed, 2011-11-02 12:08
http://www.stopfbi.net/2011/11/2/fbi-confirms-they-copied-tens-thousands-documents-seized-homes-local-anti-war-activists-or

For Immediate Release
November 1, 2011
    * FBI finishes copying more than 50,000 pages
of materials seized from homes of Minneapolis
peace and international solidarity activists –
now they give back the originals
    * Serious FBI violation of civil rights

Photo opportunity: Anti war activists and the
returned boxes of materials seized by FBI will be
available November 2, 4:30 pm at DeLeon and
Nestor Law Office, 3547 Cedar Avenue S, Minneapolis.

The FBI says they have finished copying the
political material and personal papers seized in
the September 24, 2010, raids on the homes of
Twin Cities anti-war and international solidarity
activists. This afternoon, November 1, FBI agents
delivered the last batch of notebooks, family
photos, membership lists for anti-war groups, and
political documents to the office of attorney
Bruce Nestor. The FBI has been returning the
material seized in the raids over the last several weeks.

“This is a serious violation of our right to
organize against war,” states Jess Sundin of the
Twin Cities-based Anti-War Committee. “The FBI
took the computers from the office of the
Anti-War Committee and made copies of lists that
include thousands of our supporters. They copied
notes from meetings and plans for events. They
took our personal papers, political materials and
books from my home. They are stepping all over
our rights to organize, associate and speak out.”

The material that the FBI copied and returned
comes from the homes of Twin Cities activists
Jess Sundin, Steff Yorek, Mick Kelly, Meredith
Aby, Anh Pham and Tracy Molm, and the office of
the Anti-War Committee. They are among the 23
anti-war and international solidarity activists
summoned to appear in front of a Chicago grand
jury headed by U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald,
investigating ‘material support for terrorism.’

The U.S. Attorney’s office is threatening to indict the anti-war activists.

Mick Kelly, of the Committee to Stop FBI
Repression states, “We have done nothing wrong.
The FBI should destroy the copies of everything they took.”

The FBI returned the copied material only after
Attorney Bruce Nestor filed a motion in Federal
Court to demanding that Jess Sundin’s property be
returned. The hearing on that motion, scheduled
for November 10, will be canceled once activists
confirm that everything was indeed returned.

More than 20 Twin Cities activists will attend
the national conference organized by the
Committee to Stop FBI repression in Chicago this
Saturday, Nov. 5, to build the fight against the
ongoing attacks on anti-war and international solidarity activists.