[Ppnews] Angola 3 Mark 39 Years in Solitary Confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 17 10:34:18 EDT 2011

Angola 3 Mark 39 Years in Solitary Confinement

May 17, 2011
http://solitarywatch.com/2011/05/17/angola-3-mark-39-years-in-solitary-confinement/
by James Ridgeway and Jean Casella

Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox have entered
their 40th year in solitary confinement in the
Louisiana prison system. A
<http://angola3action.org/nextaction/index.html>series
of events in New Orleans last month marked the
39th “anniversary” of their placement in
solitary, following the murder of Angola prison
guard Brent Miller–a murder for which Wallace and
Woodfox were later convicted on
<http://motherjones.com/politics/2009/03/36-years-solitude>highly
dubious evidence. The third member of the Angola
3, Robert King, was convicted of a separate
prison murder, and released after 29 years in
solitary when his conviction was overturned.

King was among the 39 people who paid homage to
Wallace and Woodfox’s four-decade ordeal by
spending one hour inside a 6 x 9-foot replica
“cell,” constructed by artist Jackie Sumell. The
<http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/04/angola_3_project_puts_local_re.html>anniversary
events, which took place at the headquarters of
the organization
<http://www.r-a-e.org/home>Resurrection After
Exoneration in New Orleans. Other events included
the screening of the film
<http://www.inthelandofthefreefilm.co.uk/>In the
Land of the Free, in which Brent Miller’s widow,
Teenie Vernet, expresses her belief that her
husband’s killers have not yet been caught. Of
Wallace and Woodfox she says: “If they did not do
it–and I believe they didn’t–they have been living a nighmare.”

The three men believe they were originally
targeted because they were Black Panthers,
organizing against conditions at Angola, and
Wallace and Woodfox believe they remain in
solitary for the same reason.  In a 2008
deposition, Angola Warden Burl Cain said Woodfox
“wants to demonstrate. He wants to organize. He
wants to be defiant
He is still trying to
practice Black Pantherism, and I still would not
want him walking around my prison because he
would organize the young new inmates. I would
have me all kind of problems, more than I could
stand, and I would have the blacks chasing after them.”

Wallace and Woodfox were recently separated from
the prison that made them famous–and from one
another–and moved separately to other maximum
security prisons. Wallace is now in the Hunt
Correctional Center, down the river in St.
Gabriel, while Woodfox is in the Wade
Correctional Center in Homer, in the far
northwest reaches of the state. Both remain in
“Closed Cell Restricted” housing, or
round-the-clock solitary confinement, with brief
excursions for showers and solitary exercise in a
“dog pen.” Woodfox is now in his mid-60s, and
Wallace is nearing 70. Both depend upon mail to
relieve their isolation; they can be reached at the following addresses:

Herman Wallace
#76759
Elayn Hunt Correctional Center
CCR – D – #11