[Ppnews] Survey: 3/4 of African Americans Have a Relative Who’s Been Incarcerated

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 12 11:28:50 EDT 2011

Survey: 3/4 of African Americans Have a Relative Who's Been Incarcerated

May 11, 2011
http://yourblackworld.com/2011/05/11/survey-34-of-african-americans-have-a-relative-whos-been-incarcerated/
by Dr. Boyce Watkins, YourBlackWorld.com

<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KPC3JX3>In a recent survey by
YourBlackWorld.com, 74.8% of all respondents said they have a
relative who has served time in the prison system.  Nearly half (46%)
stated that they have a relative who is now in prison.

Additionally, the broad majority of respondents (78.2%) said that
they have an associate or relative in prison, and nearly all (92%)
said that they have a friend or associate who's been in prison at
some point during his/her life.

When <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryan-Mack/66323002518>Ryan Mack
and I started the <http://nevergoingback.org>Never Going Back
Initiative with the Your Black World Coalition (which you can sign up
for
<https://greatblackspeakers.wufoo.com/forms/never-going-back-fixing-our-justice-system/>by
clicking here), our goal was to highlight the manner through which
the criminal justice system continues to destroy the entire African
American community.  Like the festering wound that we are too lazy to
show to a physician, mass incarceration has threatened to destroy
black families unlike anything in our nation's history.

I am calling on all concerned citizens throughout the United States
to work with us to remind our African American Attorney General, Eric
Holder, that this insidious, destructive, racist and debilitating
problem can remain on the sidelines no longer.  It's time to deal
with mass incarceration in America.

Please join our coalition to fight against mass incarceration.  It's
time to push for the freedom that we deserve.  To see and hear my
personal thoughts on the matter, <http://blip.tv/file/5132039>please
watch this video.

Dr. <http://scholarshipinaction.blogspot.com/>Boyce Watkins is a
Professor at <http://drboycewatkins.com/thesyracuseprofessor>Syracuse
University and founder of the <http://yourblackworld.com/>Your Black
World<https://greatblackspeakers.wufoo.com/forms/dr-boyce-watkins-on-aol-black-voices/>
Coalition.  To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email,
<https://greatblackspeakers.wufoo.com/forms/dr-boyce-watkins-on-aol-black-voices/>please
click here.