[Ppnews] Defeat the Media War on MOVE

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 10 14:34:22 EDT 2011

From:
<http://move9parole.blogspot.com/2011/05/defeat-media-war-on-move.html>http://move9parole.blogspot.com/2011/05/defeat-media-war-on-move.html

DEFEAT THE MEDIA WAR on MOVE!
Sis Marpessa Kupendua, MOVE Supporter

MOVE is the most committed family of
revolutionaries I have ever known because they
uphold that all forms of life be free of
repression and all forms of terrorism. They are
also the victims of one of the most vicious and
diabolical media campaigns ever waged against an organization.

The malicious portrayals of MOVE by the
Philadelphia media as subhuman and violent are
insidious and very well documented. Kitty
Caparella, among many others, wrote despicable
lies about MOVE on a daily basis from 1977
through the August 8, 1978 police siege on their
home and continued sporadically through the May
13, 1985 bombing. MOVE was repeatedly
mischaracterized as a 'cult" that was
'brainwashed' into behaving in a programmed
manner, insane and devoid of logic. The virus of
hate within these pre-packaged talking points
sped zinging across the wires to be repeated as a
mantra in every media outlet. These messages
proclaimed that it was MOVE who were responsible
for the attacks upon their own selves by police
who invaded their own property! Clever wordplay
changed the ‘bombing of MOVE’ to ‘the MOVE
Bombing’ and continues to be referred to as such to this day.

This is the power of the press, which distorts
reality to suit its own hellacious purposes, even
unto the murders of innocent babies. As the
flames raged on May 13, 1985, there was BREAKING
NEWS – breathless reports that there were male
MOVE members seen fleeing the burning house and
escaping down the alley, so you betta watch out!
A dangerous MOVE (boogie)man might just get ya!
Many dreadlocked Black men in Philly and
surrounding areas were either laying low or
chopping off their hair while the panicked public
had visions of these burning, running men that
the media had dropped into through their heads.
It will never be known how many Black men
suffered as the murderous lynch mob rained down
terror on MOVE that terrible ‘Mother’s’ day.

News reports focused less on the murder victims
and more on the neighbors who had lost their
homes. Human interest stories abounded, such as
the neighbor who lost his jazz record collection
and all those good-hearted Philadelphians who
donated records to him. Glossy pamphlets appeared
on the Septa train featuring an elderly couple
from the neighborhood selling fire insurance
because "You just never know what might happen!” (for real!).

The sci-fi invasion of the brain-snatchers caused
far too many to unwittingly ingest and repeat
this shitstem's sick media propaganda without blinking.

It's outrageous that this city had no problem
sacrificing 61 homes in its zeal to murder MOVE
people, but we all know that material possessions
are not more valuable than people's lives, right!
Since we also know that that it's truly HEINOUS
that 11 men, women and children were murdered on
that day, we have to conclude that they are not
equal! Far too often the media blurs the
conversation to simply state, "the MOVE bombing
and destruction of 61 homes." Who was responsible
for the bombing? Where is the mention of the
stolen lives? Who, then, are the true brainwash victims?

Although the cellphone video evidence in the
police murder of 22 years young Oscar Grant was
able to at least garner an unprecedented trial
for one of the killer cops who murdered him in
San Francisco on New Years Day, 2009, the violent
siege on MOVE in 1978 as well as the massacre of
MOVE people in 1985 were both captured on news
cameras and shown worldwide with no arrests of
ANY of the perpetrators. MOVE people are also
still being denied the right to bring their
people home from the bowels of this shitstem
after 32 LONG YEARS of wrongful incarceration!

We can and must double, triple and quadruple the
creation of our own independent media, many of us
have the gifts and talents to do so right from
our home computers, blogs, cameras, etc., to
build videos, organize events, speak-outs,
demonstrations, and we better take advantage of
this technology while we still have it! Did you
know that at one point when the movement to Free
Mumia Abu-Jamal was at its height in the mid
90's, Mumia was refused a simple pencil and
paper? This man in a cell within a cell on death
row, clinking and clanking with shackles and
chains, became a frightening prospect when armed
with a writing utensil! If he can do it in there,
we can do more, we MUST and WILL do more!

Produce and deliver information to your
communities and talk with people on a regular
basis to give them a different conversation than
that which they’re used to hearing. We've got to
be on it as hard and as consistently as
mainstream media and put out correct information
to rebut their every attack. Those who are
already doing independent media through
newspapers, radio shows and other means depend on
us to subscribe to and advertise in their
newspapers and we must support their fundraisers
for all forms of RESISTANCE media, they need us
and we need them! We must also support our
truth-telling journalists when they come under
attack as without them we are left at the mercy
of mainstream media. And we already know what that’s like, right? Ask MOVE.

Let the lessons of MOVE not be lost upon us, they
are excellent teachers and have always stressed
the importance of putting out information as a
regular and consistent activity.

When there is information that must get out,
people must know where to get it, and it must be
there for them. As the MOVE organization says,
THE POWER OF TRUTH IS FINAL! The ONLY way to defeat a lie is through the truth!

And if we don't fight
if we don't resist
if we don't organize and unify and
get the power to control our own lives
Then we will wear
the exaggerated look of captivity
the stylized look of submission
the bizarre look of suicide
the dehumanized look of fear
and the decomposed look of repression
forever and ever and ever
And there it is

(From "There it Is" by Jayne Cortez)

Never forget 1985! Now is the time to free the MOVE 9!
Friday May 13, Join the MOVE organization to
watch “MOVE: A Confrontation” to understand the
unjust incarceration of the MOVE 9 and how the
battle for their release leads to the bombing of MOVE in 1985.
L-13 Gladfelter Hall, Temple University
1115 W. Berks Street, Philadelphia 6-9 pm

Saturday May 14, join us for a rally Broad & Chestnut sts, Philadelphia 12-3 pm