[Ppnews] Windsor, NC, Heats Up - Prisoners Set Fires, Barricade Doors,

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Mar 30 18:16:01 EDT 2011

Windsor, NC, Heats Up: Prisoners Set Fires,
Barricade Doors, and Engage in “Riotous Type Protest”

March 29, 2011
by prisonbookscollective

http://prisonbooks.info/2011/03/29/bertie-ci-heats-up-prisoners-set-fires-barricade-doors-and-engage-in-%E2%80%9Criotous-type-protest%E2%80%9D/

Comrades and outside supporters of the prisoners
at Bertie CI in Windsor, NC, recently received
word that two prisoners on Solitary Confinement
recently barricaded themselves in their cells as
a protest of prison conditions and repression.
This “lock-in” action lasted four days, and was
timed to coincide with an outside demonstration
by anarchists and supporters on March 12th. It
also coincided with the second of two national
call-in days to the prison and NC Department of Corrections.

Two days into the lock-in, which began March
10th, about twenty anarchists gathered outside
the prison with drums, pots and pans, and large
banners reading, “Against Prisons.” According to one prisoner,

“In regards to the demo on the 12th, the pigs
tried to keep it under wraps from everyone.
Usually, when a disturbance happens, they’ll lock
the facility down. On this occasion, they figured
if no one brought attention to it then they could
go on as if everything was normal. One problem
though. There are rooms facing the parking lot
and prisoners were able to see what was
happening! Word of mouth is effective. We started
kicking on the door and flooding. A couple prisoners set fires.”

Another prisoner got written up for his behavior,
his disciplinary report alleging, “creating a
riotous type protest and causing other inmates to
do the same thing.” Two days later, the prisoners
conducting the lock-in were forcefully extracted
from their cells, and later promised that many of their demands would be met.

The following is a description of the lock-in
action by one of the prisoners involved, as well
as the demands they submitted to prison authorities:

Description of Action:

“On March 10th, 2011, myself (James Graham) and
my comrade Danny Washington barricaded ourselves
in our rooms and refused to come out for
anything. This was done in protest of the
conditions here at Bertie Correctional Institution.

On March 14th, we both sent a list of demands to
prison officials demanding that we not
be  treated like animals and slaves and that they
institute programs that address our basic human
rights. Once they received the list of demands,
they sent the Unit Manager, Asst. Unit Manager,
Captain, and the Intelligence Lieutenant (he
deals with prisoners who are labeled as being
part of a Security Threat Group) to our doors to
speak to us and ask us if we had any food trays,
but neither of us answered and they left. The
captain summoned his lil’ “goon squad,” and he
came to our cells again, this time accompanied by
a guard holding a camera, giving us a direct
order to come out of our cells. He received no
reply. He stated on the camera that we “had
weapons” and that his goons would come and
extract us from our cells “to restore order.”

First off, we had no weapons and I didn’t know
that refusing to come out of your cell was
causing a disturbance. Once they saw we weren’t
coming out, they left. When they returned, it was
the Captain along with his goons who had an
electric shield and a mace canister (the size of
a fire extinguisher). They came to my cell first
and told me to “submit to the cuffs” and come out
of my cells. No reply.  One of the guards opened
my food trap and sprayed mace in my cell and
closed my trap hoping that would force me to come
out willingly. It didn’t work. Next, they did the
same thing again and it was unsuccessful too.
Then, the Captain called the guard in the control
booth to open my door. My door wouldn’t open
courtesy of my barricade.  I sat back and waited
patiently while listening to the guards cough and
choke on the mace as they struggled trying to get
my door open. After witnessing this for a good
lil’ while, they finally got my door open and
rushed in my cell, tackled me and held me down
while I was handcuffed, chained, and shackled. I
was then thrown in a shower – with the water on –
for about five or six minutes, taken to see the
nurse for a check-up and placed in a cage. They
also ran my comrade’s cell, but I don’t know the details.

We had the chance to speak to the Superintendent,
Asst. Superintendent, Captain, Intelligence
Lieutenant, Unit Manager, and Asst. Unit Manager.
In meeting with them, we went down the list of
demands [attached below] and addressed every
demand. This is what I was told in response to these demands:
    * A new chaplain will be starting on 3/28/11
who will come around and visit the prisoners.
Also, they will be making sure there are
materials for all religions and no specific religion will be shown favoritism.
    * Lack of nurses has been the reason for
inadequate medical care and in timely responses
to medical emergencies. More nurses are in the process of being hired.
    * More dental staff are in the process of
being hired as well. The dental floss issue wasn’t discussed.
    * The Unit Manager and Asst. Unit Manager
were told to make sure we had clothes daily and
they promised to contact the warehouse about
making sure our clothing was sanitized.
    * The food will be served according to the
dietary charts in Raleigh. Basically, no change.
    * Maintenance would be contacted to make sure
the temperatures are correct, and to clean the vents out.
    * I was told to contact a woman in the
Education Dep. about starting up some educational
programs for prisoners in solitary.
    * I was told to contact Raleigh about the publications ban list.
    * I was told we would ne given toilet brushes
during cell clean-up –and we have been.

We have made great strides in the right
direction. We will definitely continue what we
have started and will continue in the struggle.
Whatever repressive tactics that may be used
against us won’t be anything we haven’t
experienced at one time or another. The only
thing to fear is fear itself and the only thing to lose is these chains.”

Prisoners’ Demands and Communique:
    * Equal treatment of all religions. Here at
Bertie CI certain religions are favored over
others. The chaplain only provides religious
materials for certain religions and the rest he
tells prisoners to “write your leader.”
    * Adequate Medical Care. Ibuprofen and
aspirin are given out like a cure to all diseases
– including vomiting up blood.
    * Prompt responses to all medical
emergencies. Often times it takes hours for
medical personnel to respond to a medical
emergency. Sometimes it’s ignored altogether.
    * Adequate dental care. Prisoners have to
wait months after filling out numerous dental
requests before being seen by a dentist. Also,
prisoners house in solitary are prohibited from
having dental floss even though it’s vital to
dental care. The excuse for the denial has been “because you’re on lock-up.”
    * Clean clothing. Prisoners are given
clothing that has not been washed properly or not
at all. Prisoners have received clothing with
urine, feces, and semen stains in them with foul
odors. Prisoners have caught rashes from wearing these unsanitized clothes.
    * Adequate portions and nutritional meals.
    * Protection from extreme conditions. In the
winter, the air conditioning is blasting, in the
summer, the heat is blasting. The extreme
temperatures are done for psychological purposes.
    * Clean air. The ventilation (air flow) is so
poor it undermines sanitation. There’s excessive
dust and lint particles in the air in our cells
which prisoners in solitary confinement breathe 23 hours a day.
    * Educational and self-improvement
opportunities. Prisoners on solitary realize that
no guard can rehabilitate them. Only we can do
that. Problem is, there are no resources for us to utilize.
    * The publications ban list be revised. The
ban list exemplifies racism, bigotry, and
prejudice. It targets Black books, Black
publications,  and a specifically Black genre: urban fiction.
    * A toilet brush to properly sanitize our
toilets. Prisoners are in a cell for a minimum of
23 hours a day in a cell with a toilet they use daily.

We refuse to come out of our cells in protest of
these conditions. We will continue to struggle by
various means until these demands are addressed.”

These actions followed an increase in tension and
struggle inside of Bertie over the last 6 months,
as the prison has experienced the appearance of
Black and anarchist study groups, as well as
several collective actions involving refusals to
leave cells and the occupation of yards. Personal
and political relationships between anarchist and
prisoner support groups and prisoners have also
increased. We stand in total solidarity with
these prisoners, and remain committed to helping
their struggle generalize whenever and wherever possible.

North Carolina, cmon raise up!

some anarchists against prisons