[Ppnews] SF - Prisoner Rights Forum this Wednesday @ Hastings 3:30p

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 14 14:56:59 EDT 2011

On December 9, 2010, thousands of prisoners in at least six Georgia
state prisons initiated the largest prisoner strike in recent U.S.
history, uniting across racial boundaries to demand an immediate end
to the cruel and dehumanizing conditions that damage prisoners, their
families, and the communities they return to.  Many are facing
retaliation now, including isolation and, reportedly, violent attacks.

Have you ever wondered what prison isolation does to the mind, the
body, the human spirit?  Or why have prisoners in Ohio and Georgia
gone on strike?  What are these strikes' implications for the future?

Whether or not you have ever been to prison, or have a friend or
family member in prison, incarceration affects all of us -- it
affects our taxes, our social environment, our rights, our fears, our
futures, and how we live our lives.  And when cruel and unusual
punishments are committed in our names and with our tax dollars, each
of us has a responsibility to educate ourselves and to speak up.

Come to UC Hastings this Wednesday, March 16th, from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
for a discussion and workshop about the recent prisoner-led
organizing in Ohio and Georgia, prison conditions in general, and how
people on the outside can support community organizers on the
inside.  It is sponsored by the National Lawyers Guild and Hastings
Prisoner Outreach, and will be held at
198 McAllister St (at Hyde Street)
First Floor
Room A (There will be an organizational member at the front door to
lead you to the room.)
San Francisco (just north of the Civic Center BART/MUNI station)

For more information, see
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ohiosupermaxhungerstrike/>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ohiosupermaxhungerstrike/,
and
<http://www.petitiononline.com/wagesnow/petition.html>http://www.petitiononline.com/wagesnow/petition.html