[Ppnews] The Omaha Two story, part 2, the 1919 race riot

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Mar 12 10:21:01 EST 2011

<https://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/will-brown-lynching-photo>
[]

Will Brown's body burns in downtown Omaha after being lynched in 1919
Photo: Public Domain

Omaha’s ugly racial history includes a 1919 downtown lynching and mob riot

Omaha Two story:  Sept. 28, 1919

The Omaha Two,
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/prison-interview-with-ed-poindexter-on-cointelpro-and-the-omaha-police>Ed
Poindexter and
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/prison-interview-with-mondo-we-langa-on-cointelpro-and-omaha-two-case>Mondo
we Langa (formerly David Rice), were both born
and raised in Omaha, Nebraska.  Both men had
personal experiences with Omaha’s racist climate
and joined the Black Panthers to address problems they witnessed.

Fifty years before the Black Panthers formed in
Omaha, a
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Race_Riot_of_1919>race
riot in downtown Omaha had to be put down by the
United States Army.  Before the Army was able to
restore order, a white mob of thousands sacked
and burned the Douglas County Courthouse to seize
a prisoner,
<http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0700/frameset_reset.html?http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0700/stories/0701_0134.html>Will
Brown, accused of sexual assault.

Will Brown, 40, was accused of rape by a 19
year-old woman from South Omaha.  The Omaha Bee
newspaper published inflammatory articles about
the case and three days after the alleged crime a
frenzied, alcohol-fueled mob from South Omaha
descended on the downtown and demanded Brown be
released from his cell for a street lynching.

When officials refused to release Brown the mob
began attacking the courthouse to gain entry to
the jail on the top floor.  The mob broke into
the courthouse and stormed a police line in the
building.  While the sheriff and his men were
barricading the fourth floor of the courthouse
the mob raided a gas station and doused the lower
floors of the building with gasoline.

After the fire started the mob armed itself with
guns stolen from looted hardware stores and
pawnshops.  A thousand guns were reported stolen that terrible night in Omaha.

Omaha Mayor Ed Smith tried to stop the mob but he
was hauled to a streetlight on Harney Street near
the courthouse where a noose was placed around
his neck and he was hoisted in the air.  Swift
intervention by a state policeman who cut down Smith saved the mayor’s life.

Sheriff Michael Clark led the 121 prisoners to
the roof of the building as the fire burned
upward.  Ladders where placed against the
courthouse as the mob sought access to the
roof.  Within minutes shots rang out and the
crowd seized Brown.  The unfortunate mob victim
was immediately beaten and his clothing ripped
from his body.  Brown may have already been dead
by the time he was lynched at the corner of 18th and Harney.

After the crowd used the corpse for target
practice the bloody body was taken down and towed
behind a car four blocks to 17th and Dodge Street
where oil was poured on Brown’s body and it was set on fire.

Rioting continued until 3 a.m. when federal
troops from Fort Omaha arrived with machine
guns.  It took 1,600 soldiers to bring order to the city.

Despite photographs that allowed authorities to
identify several hundred of the lynch mob
including the chief agitators, no one was ever
prosecuted for the crimes committed that fearful night.

Actor Henry Fonda lived in Omaha at the time and
his father ran a business across from the
courthouse.  Fonda would later describe the horror:

“It was the most horrendous sight I’d ever
seen
We locked the plant, went    downstairs, and
drove home in silence.  My hands were wet and there were tears
in my eyes.  All I could think of was that young
black man dangling at the end of a rope.”

Within years of the riot Omaha would see the
growth of the Ku Klux Klan in the city.  Omaha
was a segregated city with the black population
largely confined to the Near North Side.

The Near North Side was the home of both Ed
Poindexter and Mondo we Langa and also the
neighborhood where patrolman
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/larry-minard-was-the-policeman-betrayed-by-j-edgar-hoover-to-frame-the-omaha-tw>Larry
Minard. Sr. would lose his life on August 17, 1970 in an ambush bombing.

The Omaha Two are serving life sentences in the
Nebraska State Penitentiary for the murder of
Minard but continue to deny any role in the crime
40 years later.  The two men say they were
victims of
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/fbi-s-director-hoover-let-killer-of-omaha-policeman-get-away-with-murder-40-years-ago>J.
Edgar Hoover’s illegal
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/human-rights-group-calls-for-reopening-of-cointelpro-cases>COINTELPRO
operation that targeted the Black Panthers with a lethal ferocity.

Omaha never really recovered from the 1919 riot
and its ugly legacy led to a community now
divided over the conviction of the Omaha Two.

To read all the Omaha Two story articles click
<http://www.examiner.com/omaha-two-story-in-national>HERE

Permission granted to reprint