[Ppnews] Life and death struggle goes on for Georgia inmate Troy Davis

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 10 11:58:15 EDT 2011

<http://www.finalcall.com/>FinalCall.com News

Life and death struggle goes on for Georgia inmate Troy Davis

By Jesse Muhammad -Staff writer-
Updated Jun 10, 2011 - 11:13:45 AM
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_7893.shtml

(FinalCall.com) - For the second time since becoming president,
Barack Obama May 20 pardoned eight people convicted of crimes.
Georgia death row inmate, Troy Davis, wasn't on that list and is
still facing a possible fourth execution date.

"The warden in the prison doesn't like my brother and all the
notoriety he's been receiving. They are really trying to execute my
brother and do not want him to get a new trial. They know if he gets
a new trial, their case will not stand because there is no evidence
showing he did the crime," Martina Correia told The Final Call in a
phone interview on May 26.

According to the Georgia Corrections Department, the state recently
changed to a different lethal injection drug to put inmates to death.
When executions resume, Mr. Davis could be the first to have the new
drug run through his veins.

"They want to break Troy's spirit but he told me he's constantly
praying to Allah and that gives him joy. They restricted him from
having phones calls since our mother's funeral in April and he's been
on strict lockdown since March on a bogus accusation," said Ms. Correia.

U.S. Supreme Court justices March 28 kept Atlanta's 11th Circuit
Court of Appeals from examining the controversial case, in which Mr.
Davis was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1989 killing of
Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail. That was Mr. Davis' final appeal.

One of his last chances for freedom rests with the state parole
board, which could choose to hear his case and grant clemency.

Over 20 exonerated death row survivors signed an open letter in
support of Mr. Davis and sent it to James E. Donald, who chairs the
Georgia State Board of Pardons & Paroles.

"We don't know if Troy Davis is in fact innocent, but, as people who
were wrongfully sentenced to death (and in some cases scheduled for
execution), we believe it is vitally important that no execution go
forward when there are doubts about guilt.It is absolutely essential
to ensuring that the innocent are not executed," the letter reads in part.

The exonerees also wrote to Mr. Donald, "When you issued a temporary
stay for Troy Davis in 2007, you stated that the Board 'will not
allow an execution to proceed in this State unless and until its
members are convinced that there is no doubt as to the guilt of the
accused.' This standard is a welcome development, and we urge you to
apply it again now.Doubts persist in the case of Troy Davis, and
commuting his sentence will reassure the people of Georgia that you
will never permit an innocent person to be put to death in their name."

"We're going to keep fighting. We have to find new witnesses who are
not afraid to come forth and testify. Many are afraid and I don't
know why unless the cops have something on them," said Ms. Correia.

Ms. Correia, along with a host of organizations, including Murder
Victims Family Members, the National Coalition to Abolish the Death
Penalty, Amnesty International and the NAACP, are calling on
political, religious, and community leaders to cry out like never
before in demanding freedom for Mr. Davis, who was convicted and
sentenced to death in 1991.

Witnesses claimed Mr. Davis, who was then 19-years-old, and two
others were harassing a homeless man in the parking lot of a fast
food restaurant when off-duty officer MacPhail arrived to help the
man. Witnesses also testified at trial that Mr. Davis then shot the
officer twice and fled the scene.

Since Mr. Davis' conviction, seven of the nine witnesses against him
have recanted their testimony and no physical evidence has been
presented that links Mr. Davis to the killing.

Since 2007, the state of Georgia has slated Mr. Davis for execution
three times only to have the executions delayed.

In August 2009, the Supreme Court ordered the federal court in
Savannah to hear Mr. Davis' innocence claim in an evidentiary
hearing. In June of 2010, U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore
Jr. heard two days of testimony and two months later he ruled that
Mr. Davis' defense team failed to present satisfactory proof of innocence.

Mr. Davis' attorneys argued that Judge Moore was incorrect in his
refusal to hear from potential witnesses who could testify that
another man confessed to taking the life of Mr. MacPhail. The
attorneys filed this latest appeal in January, only to see it rejected.

The clock is ticking and supporters are flooding Facebook, Twitter,
YouTube, websites, blogs and events on the grounds on behalf of Mr. Davis.

"Troy has lost both of his parents since being on death row and
hasn't been able to say goodbye to either of them. But the more they
do to him on the inside of the prison, he says, the more he's going
to keep smiling at them," said Ms. Correia.

(To follow updates on this case
visit:<http://www.troyanthonydavis.org/>http://www.troyanthonydavis.org/.)