[Ppnews] Black Panther Geronimo ji jaga Pratt dies

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 3 03:15:14 EDT 2011

Former Black Panther Elmer 'Geronimo' Pratt dies, attorney says

 From Erica Henry, CNN
June 3, 2011 1:56 a.m. EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/03/california.pratt.death/

(CNN) -- Former Black Panther Elmer "Geronimo"
Pratt, who was wrongly imprisoned for 27 years on
a murder conviction, died Thursday in Tanzania, his former lawyer said.

He was 63.

Stuart Hanlon, a San Francisco-based lawyer who
helped overturn Pratt's murder conviction, said
he did not know the exact cause of death.

Pratt died in a small village in Tanzania where
he lived with his wife and child, Hanlon said.

Hanlon called Pratt a "true American," saying
that he was an Army veteran who served two tours
in Vietnam before joining the Black Panther Party.

"He could've been a great leader. He was very
charismatic," Hanlon said. "His legacy is that he
never gave up. He never got despondent or angry."

Pratt's conviction became a rallying cry for
rights groups that said he had been framed for
his strident activism during the turbulent civil rights era.

Pratt was convicted for the 1968 murder of
Caroline Olsen on a Santa Monica tennis court. He
spent 27 years in prison before the conviction
was overturned in 1997 after a judge ruled that
prosecutors had concealed evidence.

The victim's husband, wounded during the robbery
attempt, originally identified another man as the
killer. But the jury was not informed of that, the judge said.

Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran also helped in the
legal battle to get Pratt released from prison.
Pratt spoke at Cochran's funeral in 2005.

After his release, Pratt told CNN that he held no
bitterness about the many years he spent behind bars.

"I don't think bitterness has a place. I'm more
understanding," Pratt said in a 1999 interview.
"Understanding doesn't leave any room for bitterness or anger."

Of the 27 years he spent in prison, Pratt said
eight was in solitary confinement. He said his
spirituality and love of music helped him through that period.

"My mantra was the blues. It would go through my
head when I was going through my meditations," Pratt said.

CNN's Erica Henry contributed to this report.

Former LA Black Panther leader Pratt dies at 63

By DENISE PETSKI and JACOB ADELMAN
Created: 06/02/2011 09:58:53 PM PDT

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_18196586

LOS ANGELES­Elmer "Geronimo" Pratt, a former
Black Panther Party leader who spent 27 years in
prison on a murder conviction that was later overturned, has died. He was 63.

Pratt died at his home in a small village in
Tanzania, where he had lived for at least half a
decade, lawyer Stuart Hanlon, who helped Pratt
win his freedom, told The Associated Press from San Francisco on Thursday.

Hanlon said he learned of Pratt's death through
the former activist's family members. He did not
know what caused Pratt's death, but said he had
suffered from high blood pressure.

Hanlon said Pratt refused to carry any resentment
about his treatment by the legal system.

"He had no anger, he had no bitterness, he had no
desire for revenge. He wanted to resume his life
and have children," he said. "He would never look back."

Pratt was convicted in 1972 of being one of two
men who robbed and fatally shot schoolteacher
Caroline Olsen on a Santa Monica tennis court in
December 1968. No one else was arrested.

Pratt claimed he was in Oakland for Black Panther
meetings the day of the murder, and that FBI
agents and police hid and possibly destroyed
wiretap evidence that would prove it.

His lawyers, who included high-profile defense
attorney Johnnie Cochran, blamed his arrest on a
politically charged campaign by J. Edgar Hoover's
FBI against the Black Panthers and other
perceived enemies of the U.S. government.

Pratt's belated reversal of fortune came with the
disclosure that a key prosecution witness hid the
fact he was an ex-felon and a police informant.

Superior Court Judge Everett Dickey granted him a
new trial in June 1997, saying the credibility of
prosecution witness Julius Butler­who testified
that Pratt had confessed to him­could have been
undermined if the jury had known of his
relationship with law enforcement. He was freed later that month.

Cochran, best known representing such clients as
O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson, called the day
Pratt's freedom was secured "the happiest day of my life practicing law."

Prosecutors announced two years after the
conviction was overturned that they would abandon efforts to retry him.

"I feel relieved that the L.A. DA's office has
finally come to their senses in this respect,"
Pratt said at the time. "But, I am not relieved
in that they did not come clean all the way in
exposing their complicity with this frame-up, this 27-year trauma."

He settled a false imprisonment and civil rights
lawsuit against the FBI and city of Los Angeles for $4.5 million in 2000.