[Ppnews] Call for Pardon for Oscar López Rivera, Now!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 1 10:21:54 EDT 2011

Call for Pardon for Oscar

López Rivera

, Now!

June 1, 2011 | by
<http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/authors/staff/>HS News Staff
http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/hsn-network/details/call-for-pardon-for-oscar-now/7991/

Today’s contribution is from
<http://www.claridadpuertorico.com/generalcontent.html?gid=1>Claridad.
Claridad is a weekly national newspaper in Puerto
Rico, which was founded on June 1, 1959. It is
the Puerto Rican newspaper continued publication
oldest currently in circulation.
Claridad’s central aims to be an effective tool
in the fight for independence of Puerto Rico,
which is the main colony in the world under U.S.
control since 1898, as a result of its invasion and occupation.

On May 29, 2001, Puerto Rican political prisoner
Oscar López Rivera marks 30 years in prison in
the United States. As was true with other
imprisoned patriots before and now, even their
jailers recognize that they aren’t common
prisoners, that their conduct has been governed
by a cause of conscience that for him is more
valuable and transcendent than his own freedom,
and even than his own life: the cause of the independence of Puerto Rico.

The fact that there have been, and still are, men
and women disposed to suffer persecution, prison,
torture and even death, to obtain freedom for
their people, is something that challenges all
human logic and confers a superior moral
character on these men and women disposed to such
a great sacrifice. Only freedom can convene such a degree of vital commitment.

For those who have chosen this path, freedom
isn’t discussed; it’s taken and enjoyed as an
inalienable and fundamental human right. That is
the great lesson that our people has received
from its patriots and political prisoners, who
Oscar López Rivera has embodied for 30 years in
an exemplary way. His stature and that of the
other combatants for our national independence
has been growing in the imagination of our
people, in the same way that the U.S. government
has been mercilessly treating him, as well as the
González Claudio brothers Avelino and Norberto,
just as it was previously merciless with Carlos
Alberto Torres and their other compañeros and
compañeras, and even before as they were with
Lolita Lebrón and Oscar Collazo; with Rafael
Cancel Miranda, Irvin Flores and Andrés Figueroa Cordero, among many others.

The case of Oscar López Rivera is unique for
several reasons. He is the Puerto Rican political
prisoner who has served the longest time in
prison in the United States, and is probably also
the longest held political prisoner in our
hemisphere. Additionally, his excessively lengthy
imprisonment is the product of his jailers’
twisted logic. While the United States government
claims to give lessons on freedom, democracy and
human rights to the rest of the world, it has
held Oscar López Rivera in prison for 30 years,
denying him, under the rules of the very system
it so staunchly defends, the right to parole and
requiring him, in an arbitrary and inhumane way,
to serve an additional 12 years in prison.

The United States government has a responsibility
to Puerto Rico which, to date, it has refused to
fulfill. Their armed forces mounted an invasion
here in 1898, by virtue of which our nation was
militarily intervened and our right to decide our
own political destiny subjugated ­ a situation
that has lasted to date. That is the principal
offense for which it must respond, and the reason
for which Puerto Rican independentistas have
waged a struggle for 113 years, and during which
thousands of Puerto Ricans, Oscar López Rivera
among them, have paid an enormous share of sacrifice.

Now, Oscar López Rivera’s release from prison
depends on the decision of the president of the
United States, Barack Obama, who has in his hands
the opportunity to emulate other U.S. presidents
Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, and pardon the
Puerto Rican veteran. Obama, first Afro-North
American to achieve this position, knows by his
own experience the difficult path that must be
followed to overcome prejudice and
discrimination. For this reason, and for an
elemental sense of justice and fair play, it is
his duty to release Puerto Rican political
prisoner Oscar López Rivera without further
delay, and return him to the heart of the
Homeland he belongs to and to which he has offered his life.

Claridad salutes our patriot Oscar López Rivera,
thanks him for his life-long valor and sacrifice,
and reiterates that we will continue to be
committed to achieving his freedom, sooner than
later. We urge the broadest sectors of the Puerto
Rican people to participate in this purpose of humane justice.