[Ppnews] Angola Prison - God's Own Warden

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 28 13:42:52 EDT 2011

God's Own Warden

If you ever find yourself inside Louisiana's
Angola prison, Burl Cain will make sure you find
Jesus­or regret ever crossing his path.

By
<http://motherjones.com/authors/james-ridgeway>James
Ridgeway | <http://motherjones.com/toc/2011/07>July/August 2011 Issue
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/burl-cain-angola-prison

It was a chilly December morning when I got to
the gates of
<http://www.corrections.state.la.us/lsp/>Angola
prison [1], and I was nervous as I waited to be
admitted. To begin with, nothing looked the way
it ought to have looked. The entrance, with its
little yellow gatehouse and red brick sign, could
have marked the gates of one of the smaller
national parks. There was a
<http://angolamuseum.org/?q=Shop>museum with a
gift shop [2], where I perused miniature
handcuffs, jars of inmate-made jelly, and mugs
that read "Angola: A Gated Community" before
moving on to the exhibits, which include Gruesome
Gertie, the only electric chair in which a
prisoner was executed twice. (It
<http://www.alternet.org/reproductivejustice/89950/revisiting_the_execution_of_willie_francis%3A_race,_murder_and_the_search_for_justice/?page=entire>didn't
take the first time [3], possibly because the executioners were visibly drunk.)

Besides being cold and disoriented, I had the
well-founded sense of being someplace where I
wasn't wanted. Angola welcomes a thousand or more
visitors a month, including religious groups,
schoolchildren, and tourists taking a side trip
from their vacations in plantation country. Under
ordinary circumstances, it's possible to drive up
to the gate and
<http://www.corrections.state.la.us/lsp/visiting.php>tour
the prison [4] in a state vehicle, accompanied by
a staff guide. But for me, it had taken close to
two years and the threat of an ACLU lawsuit to
<https://www.laaclu.org/newsArchive.php?id=398#n398>get
permission to visit the place [5].

I was studying an exhibit of sawed-off shotguns
when I heard someone call my name. It was Cathy
Fontenot, the assistant warden in charge of PR.
Smartly dressed in a tailored shirt and jeans, a
suede jacket, and boots with four-inch heels, she
introduced me to a smiling corrections officer
("my bodyguard") and to Pam Laborde, the genial
head spokeswoman for the Louisiana department of
corrections who had come up from Baton Rouge to
help escort me on my hard-won tour of Angola.

Everyone was there except the person I had come
to see: Warden Burl Cain, a man with a
near-mythical reputation for turning Angola, once
known as <http://angolamuseum.org/?q=History>the
bloodiest prison in the South [6], into a model
facility. Among born-again Christians, Cain is
revered for delivering hundreds of incarcerated
sinners to the Lord­running the nation's largest
maximum-security prison, as
<http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=27125>one
evangelical publication put it [7], "with an iron
fist and an even stronger love for Jesus." To
Cain's
<http://2onthebeat.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/sen-john-whitmire-learns-from-prison-experience/>more
secular admirers [8], Angola demonstrates an
attractive option for controlling the nation's
booming prison population at a time when the
notion of rehabilitation has effectively been abandoned.

What I had heard about Cain, and seen in the
plentiful footage of him, led me to expect an
affable guy­big gut, pale, jowly face,
good-old-boy demeanor. Indeed, former Angola
inmates say that prisoners who respond to Cain's
program of
"<http://www.calvin.edu/january/2010/cain.htm>moral
rehabilitation [9]" through Christian redemption
are rewarded with privileges, humane treatment,
and personal attention. Those who displease him,
though, can face harsh punishments.
<http://motherjones.com/media/2010/03/interview-wilbert-rideau-angola-prison>Wilbert
Rideau [10], the award-winning former
<http://www.doc.louisiana.gov/lsp/angolite.php>Angolite
[11] editor who is probably Angola's most famous
ex-con, says when he first arrived at the prison,
Cain tried to enlist him as a snitch, then sought
to convert him. When that didn't work, Rideau
says, his magazine became the target of
censorship; he says Cain can be "a bully­harsh, unfair, vindictive."

"Cain was like a king, a sole ruler," Rideau
writes in his recent memoir,
<http://www.randomhouse.com/book/154190/in-the-place-of-justice-by-wilbert-rideau>In
the Place of Justice [12]. "He enjoyed being a
dictator, and regarded himself as a benevolent
one." When a group of middle school students
visited Angola a few years ago,
<http://www.tri-parishtimes.com/articles/2010/01/25/page_1/340_50_bighousepg1.txt>Cain
told them [13] that the inmates were there
because they "didn't listen to their parents.
They didn't listen to law enforcement. So when
they get here, I become their daddy, and they
will either listen to me or make their time here very hard."
Cain told some middle schoolers that when inmates
get to Angola, “I become their daddy, and they
will either listen to me or make their time here very hard.”

Another former prisoner, John Thompson­who spent
14 years on death row at Angola before being
exonerated by previously concealed evidence­told
me that Cain runs Angola "with a Bible in one
hand and a sword in the other." And when the
chips are down, Thompson said, "he drops the Bible."

Who is the man who wields so much untempered
power over so many human beings? I wanted to find
out firsthand­but when I requested permission to
visit the prison and interview Cain, back in
2009, Fontenot turned me down flat. Cain, she
said, was not happy with what I had written about
the Angola Three, a trio of inmates who have been
<http://motherjones.com/politics/2009/03/36-years-solitude>in
solitary longer than any other prisoners in
America [14]. Two years and much legal wrangling
later, I was here at Fontenot's invitation, ready
to see the Cain miracle for myself.

Burl Cain has friends in many places­a vast
network of contacts and supporters from Baton
Rouge to Hollywood. There has been talk in
Louisiana of him running for office­maybe even
for governor. But no position could ever be so
secure, and no authority so complete, as what he already has.

Cain, now 68, was raised in Pitkin (population
1,965), about 90 miles due west of Angola; he
began his career at the Louisiana Farm Bureau,
then became assistant secretary for agribusiness
at the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and
Corrections, which runs a number of prison
plantations. He became warden of the
medium-security Dixon Correctional Institute in
1981 and landed at Angola 14 years later. One
official bio notes that "to escape the pressures
of running the nation's largest adult male
maximum security prison, Cain enjoys hunting and
traveling around the country on his motorcycle."

Cain's brother, James David Cain, served in the
Louisiana Legislature for more than two decades.
Burl Cain himself was until this year the vice
chairman of the powerful State Civil Service
Commission, which sets pay scales for state
workers. Corrections is big business across the
nation, but nowhere more so than in Louisiana,
which has
<http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/initiatives_detail.aspx?initiativeID=327561>the
highest incarceration rate in the world [15],
keeping 1 in 55 adults behind bars. Angola is one
of the largest employers in the state, with a
staff of about 1,600 and an annual budget of more
than $120 million; it is also a huge agricultural
and industrial enterprise, with a network of
customers and suppliers that depend on the warden's good graces.

Until 2008, the department of corrections, which
oversees the state's prisons, was headed by
Richard Stalder, who once worked for Cain. Today,
its second in command is Sheryl Ranatza, who
previously was Cain's deputy warden. She is
married to Michael Ranatza, executive director of
the Louisiana Sheriffs' Association. (The
sheriffs have a direct interest in prison policy
in Louisiana because the state effectively rents
space in local jails­at premium rates­to house
"overflow" inmates who can't be fit into Angola
and other prisons.) Together, the Angola warden
and the department of corrections have long been
"a political powerhouse in Louisiana," says the
Southern Center for Human Rights' Stephen Bright.
"[They are] sitting on top of all this power.
Governors who come along are afraid to touch them."

But Cain's reputation has reached far beyond
Louisiana. Shortly after taking the reins at
Angola, he gained a national audience through a
1998 documentary about the prison,
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139193/>The Farm:
Angola, USA [16], which won the Grand Jury Prize
at Sundance and was nominated for an Academy
Award. Soon Cain found himself
<http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/4891>interviewed
[17] by an admiring Charlie Rose and
<http://www.time.com/time/reports/mississippi/angola.html>profiled
in
<http://www.time.com/time/reports/mississippi/angola.html>Time
[18], which noted his quest to "give the 5,108
hopeless men on this former slave-breeding farm
hope." A follow-up to The Farm
<http://pdf.pr.com/press-release/pr-155525.pdf>was
released in 2009 [19] (PDF), with Cain as the central character.

Cain has also had an open-door policy for
Hollywood. Parts of Dead Man Walking, Out of
Sight, and Monster's Ball were filmed on the
prison grounds, and more recently, William Hurt
spent a night there to prepare for his role as an
ex-con from Angola in The Yellow Handkerchief. As
Fontenot proudly told me, Forest Whitaker
recently visited to prep for narrating a two-hour
<http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/OWN-Announces-Premiere-Dates-for-Three-Films-in-the-OWN-Doc-Club>documentary
[20] on the prison's hospice for Oprah's new
network. Even parts of the recent Jim Carrey film
I Love You Phillip Morris, about two men who fall
in love in prison, were filmed at Angola. "All
the extras we were using were lifers, real
killers," costar
<http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/ewan-mcgregors-tips-full-life>Ewan
McGregor bragged [21]. (Cain drew the line,
though,
<http://lightingtheway.blogspot.com/2009/09/more-on-angola-prison.html>according
to one Christian blogger [22], at allowing a gay
sex scene to be filmed in the prison.)

With Cathy Fontenot at the wheel, talking a mile
a minute, our SUV sped through Angola's expansive
grounds. At 18,000 acres, the prison covers a
tract of land larger than the island of
Manhattan. Surrounded on three sides by the
Mississippi River and on the fourth by 20 miles
of scrubby, uninhabited woods, it is virtually escape-proof.

With its proximity to the river, this is prime
agricultural land, made up of five former
plantations and named for the country of origin
of the slaves who once worked its fields. Today
the prisoners,
<http://doc.louisiana.gov/LSP/docs/2010_Annual_Report.pdf>three-quarters
of whom are black [23] (PDF), still work the land
by hand, earning between 2 and 20 cents an hour.

Angola's agribusiness operation grows cash crops
like cotton, corn, and soybeans, as well as
fruits and vegetables. In addition to working the
fields, inmates tend to Angola's hundreds of beef
cattle, its prize Percherons and quarter horses,
and the dogs it breeds for law enforcement. (In
addition to raising bloodhounds, the Angola
kennels have experimented with crossing German
shepherds and black wolves.) Prisoners also make
license plates and vinyl mattresses and fashion toys for charity.
The prison rodeo is famed for such events as
“Convict Poker,” in which four inmates try to
remain seated at a card table while being charged by a 2,000-pound bull.

Fontenot crossed one levee after another, rolling
off facts and figures and telling little stories
about points of interest as we flew past. In
1997, she told me, a flooding Mississippi came
close to breaching the ramparts, but they kept
the water out with teams of inmates sandbagging,
Warden Cain working by their side. We passed a
herd of horses, which at Angola are used not only
by officers riding guard over prisoners in the
fields, but also to pull wagons and plows,
replacing gas-guzzling tractors. Angola is
working very hard to go green, Fontenot said. It
is also highly entrepreneurial, with ventures
such as the Prison View Golf Course bringing in
extra funds at a time of budget cuts. They were,
she said, considering a pet-grooming service and
an Angola-branded clothing line. As we zipped
down the road, we passed a big tour bus filled with visitors.

We also passed the 10,000-seat arena where
Angola's <http://www.angolarodeo.com/>famous
prison rodeos [24] are staged each spring and
fall, drawing some 70,000 people. The rodeo is
famed for such events as "Convict Poker" (in
which four inmates try to remain seated around a
card table while being charged by a 2,000-pound
bull) and "Guts and Glory" (where inmates vie to
snatch a poker chip hung around the horns of an
angry bull). Daniel Bergner, who spent a year at
Angola researching his powerful 1998 book
<http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780345435538-4>God
of the Rodeo [25], observed that the crowd's
reaction was "electrified, exhilarated, the
thrill of watching men in terror made forgivable
because the men were murderers. I'm sure some of
it was racist (See that nigger move), some
disappointed (that there had been no goring), and
some uneasy (with that very disappointment)."
Even so, he writes, "many people were not
laughing, were too bewildered or stunned by what they had just seen."

Outside the arena, inmates sell arts and crafts,
along with crawfish étouffée and Frito pies for
the benefit of various inmate organizations: the
Lifers Association, the Forgotten Voices
Toastmasters group, Camp F Vets, and dozens of
Christian groups. The rodeo was originally
conjured up by the inmates, but it is now a
centerpiece of Cain's PR operation. Bergner wrote
that in Cain's first year at Angola, he entered
the arena in "the closest thing he could find to
a chariot"­a cart pulled by the prison's
Percherons, in which he circled the ring before the opening prayer.

One thing I learned when attending the rodeo a
year earlier (it was the only way to get into
Angola without Fontenot's permission) is the vast
difference in the way various groups of inmates
live. Most of the men who work the booths are
"trusties." They live in open dorms or group
houses, hold the most coveted jobs, move around
with some degree of ease, and in some cases even
have limited contact with the public. A few
trusties are trucked out to keep up the grounds
at the local school, while others tend to the
homes and yards of B-Line, the small town inside
the prison gates that is populated by Angola's
staff, many of them third- or fourth-generation
corrections officers. (Angola officials have
military ranks; collectively, they are sometimes
still referred to by their historical name, "freemen.")

About 700 of Angola's 5,200 prisoners are
trusties. Another 2,800 are "big stripes," who
work in the fields and factories under armed
supervision. The remaining 1,500 are confined in
cellblocks­some in the general population, some
in 23-hour-a-day lockdown, some in punishment
units. A word from the warden can make the
difference between life in a "trusty camp" with a
decent job and contact visits, and life in a six-by-nine isolation cell.

A little farther on was the main prison,
surrounded by layers of razor wire shining bright
in the sun. "Hiya," Fontenot called out to the
inmates as our entourage swept down the central
walkway. "How ya doin'?" "Good morning," they
responded. She put her arm affectionately around
the shoulder of one man, asked another about a
personal problem. She came off as part
country-western princess, part girl next door, and entirely in charge.

By most estimates, including Fontenot's,
<http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/a-decade-behind-bars-return-to-the-farm-4329/Overview42#tab-angola-prison-profile#ixzz0yJ2xxohh>at
least 90 percent [26] of Angola's prisoners will
die here. In Louisiana, what are effectively life
sentences are now doled out not only for murder,
but for anything from gang activity to bank
robbery. The Angolite has reported that in 1977,
just 88 men had spent more than 10 years in the
prison. By 2000, 274 men had spent 25 years
behind bars, and in 2009, 880 Angola inmates had
spent 25 or more years inside. Sixty-four men had
been locked up for more than 40 years.

Today, 3,660 men­70 percent of Angola's
population­are serving life without parole, and
most of the rest have sentences too long to serve
in a lifetime. "It is not too far of a stretch to
claim life without parole as another form of
capital punishment," writes Lane Nelson, the
magazine's star writer (who recently received
clemency). "[It is] slow execution by
incarceration. Decades of segregation can numb a
prisoner's soul until he becomes devoid of an
earnest desire for the joys of freedom."

Warden Cain has gone on record as favoring the
possibility of parole for those who achieve
"moral rehabilitation." Nick Trenticosta, a
death-penalty attorney who currently represents
15 prisoners at Angola, says, "He knows there are
individuals at Angola he believes are
rehabilitated, and he believes they should be
released. I think he is very frustrated by the
sentencing laws in the state [and] the whole
process of pardon and parole because of its political nature."

As it stands, Cain and his staff confront an
aging and increasingly infirm prison population,
which is why some of Angola's best-known programs
deal with easing old age and death in prison. The
prison even operates
<http://www.soros.org/initiatives/usprograms/multimedia/angola_20080912>a
hospice [27], founded and staffed by inmates,
that houses men judged to have fewer than 18
months to live. When these men die, if no
relatives come to claim the body, they can count
on an inmate-crafted coffin, a decent funeral,
and delivery, via horse-drawn hearse, to their
final resting place at Angola's Point Lookout Cemetery.

Five miles into the plantation, we arrived at
death row. A central control room led to a series
of tiers, each marked by a locked door and color
photos of the inhabitants, 83 in all. Guards
patrol the tiers day and night, looking for potential suicides.

We walked past a plastic nativity scene to get to
the death house, which contains the cells where
inmates spend their final hours, saying goodbye
to loved ones and having their last meals. In the
death chamber sat a flat, padded leather gurney
with "wings" where the condemned man's arms would
be outstretched to receive the needle. Fontenot
pointed out where Warden Cain would stand, near
the man's left hand, and described how he would
motion for the execution to begin.

Cain's first execution,
<http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=27125>he
told the
[7]<http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=27125>Baptist
Press [7], was done strictly by the book. "There
was a psshpssh from the machine, and then he was
gone," Cain recalled. "I felt him go to hell as I
held his hand. Then the thought came over me: I
just killed that man. I said nothing to him about
his soul. I didn't give him a chance to get right
with God. What does God think of me? I decided
that night I would never again put someone to
death without telling him about his soul and about Jesus."
More than 200 inmates have earned degrees in
Christian ministry at the “Bible college,” the
only route to earning a college diploma at Angola.

By 1996, in a Diane Sawyer special about an
Angola execution, Cain said that putting a
prisoner to death was "so complex I can't even
answer...I came here with an opinion about a lot
of things. Today I don't have an opinion about hardly anything."

Attorney Nick Trenticosta says that in his view,
Cain treats death-row prisoners better than
wardens at most other prisons: "It is not that
these guys had super privileges. But Warden Cain
was somewhat responsive to not only prisoners,
but to their families." Trenticosta recalls Cain
demurring before one execution, "All I wanted was
the keys to the big house. Not this." The lawyer
offers a picture of a man torn between the duty
to kill and the faith that makes him question
that duty­a dilemma he seeks to resolve, perhaps,
by giving prisoners the promise of a heavenly
life before the state snuffs out their earthly one.

Chapels are all over Angola, and the main one,
which seats 800, was a key stop on our tour­just
as it is for visiting preachers from around the
country. Gathered there waiting for us was a
group of inmate preachers, who spread the good
news at the five houses of worship in Angola (a
sixth is under construction) and at other prisons
throughout the state. On occasion, they even have
the opportunity to preach in the outside world. I
asked the inmates whether Warden Cain had to
approve what they did; one said they answered
only to "Him" and pointed skyward. For a while,
we listened to a former country-western
bandleader play gospel on the famed Angola organ,
donated by a close associate of Billy Graham. As
we began to leave, one preacher raised his hand
to Cathy, smiled broadly, and said, "We did good for you."

It had taken me a while to figure out what
bothered me about Cain's religious crusade at
Angola, beyond a healthy respect for the
separation of church and state. My grandfather, a
Methodist minister, was an evangelist of sorts,
so this wasn't an altogether foreign world to me.
And I've seen a lot of good come out of
faith-based programs­which, particularly in
prison, fill the void created when lawmakers
nationwide slashed funding for rehabilitation. In
1994, for example,
<http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/right-education-juvenile-and-criminal-justice-systems-united-states>Congress
dealt a crushing blow to prison education [28] by
making inmates ineligible for higher-education
Pell grants. Prison college programs, which had
proved the single most effective tool for
reducing recidivism, disappeared almost
overnight. In Louisiana today, 1 percent of the
corrections budget goes to rehabilitation.

The imbalance "makes no rational sense from a
prison management point of view," says the David
Fathi, who heads the
<http://www.aclu.org/prisoners-rights>ACLU's
National Prison Project [29]. "But unfortunately
it makes political sense for the next election."
As a result, he says, "the religiously inspired
programs are pretty much all there is."

According to estimates in the Christian press,
some 2,000 of Angola's inmates have been born
again since the arrival of Cain­who has described
his own religious persuasion as "Bapticostal"­and
203 have earned B.A. degrees in Christian
ministry at the "Bible college," an extension
program operated by the
<http://www.nobts.edu/>New Orleans Baptist
Theological Seminary [30] that is the only route
to earning a college degree at Angola.

Besides the prison seminary, Angola's major
religious institution is the Louisiana Prison
Chapel Foundation, which has raised at least $1.2
million to dot the prison's grounds with houses
of worship. Franklin Graham, Billy's son,
reportedly donated $200,000 to build one of the
chapels, continuing a longstanding relationship
with Angola.
(<http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=1223>Inmates
crafted the coffin [31] in which Billy Graham's
wife was buried in 2007, and they are building one for Billy himself.)

Franklin Graham wrote about one of his visits to
preach at the prison under the title "Freedom for
the Captives." It's a phrase drawn from Luke
4:18-19, where Jesus announces that God "has sent
Me to proclaim freedom to the captives and
recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the
oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's
favor." It's not hard to see why this would be an
appealing message for men who will never again be physically free.

But for my grandfather, personal redemption was
inseparable from social justice. Cain's brand of
Christianity, in contrast, serves in large part
as an instrument of control­and the warden has
little patience for those who don't get with his
program, including other Christians. In 2009, the
ACLU of Louisiana
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/119159-leger-v-louisiana-2009.html>filed
suit [32] on behalf of Donald Lee Leger Jr., a
practicing Catholic who had sought to take Mass
while on death row. He alleged that Cain had TV
screens outside his cell turned up full blast and
tuned to Baptist Sunday services. Prison
officials destroyed a plastic rosary sent to
Leger from a nearby diocese. When Leger continued
to file grievances requesting Mass, he was moved
to a tier of ill-behaved inmates and finally put
in the hole for 10 days. The ACLU
<http://www.laaclu.org/PDF_documents/SandersvCain_MDLA.pdf>also
represented Norman Sanders [33] (PDF), a member
of a Mormon Bible study course, who was denied
books from Brigham Young University and Deseret
Book Direct, sources of Mormon publications.
(Cain
<https://www.readability.com/articles/cj2niek9?legacy_bookmarklet=1>told
the Christian magazine
<https://www.readability.com/articles/cj2niek9?legacy_bookmarklet=1>World
[34] that other religions are welcome to set up
programs at Angola "as long as they're willing to
pay for it. Let them all compete to catch the
most fish. I'll stand on the bank and watch.")

An attorney representing another prisoner told me
that the inmate had been disciplined because he
had not bowed his head during prayer. The
prisoner also alleged that inmates who don't
participate in church services will have their
privileges revoked, while those who attend will
get "a day or two off from the field, a good
meal, and other goodies" such as ice cream. (Some
help themselves to further goodies: In a recent
scandal,
<http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/07/officials_investigate_inmate-v.html>several
inmate ministers were investigated [35] for
allegedly bribing guards to let them have sex
with visitors who came for special banquets.)

Stan Moody, a onetime prison chaplain in Maine
who has met with ex-Angola prisoners, believes
that "Cain is without question a committed
Christian" who "cares about the downtrodden and
disadvantaged in a way that's sadly missing in
prisons across the US." But
<http://mostlywater.org/print/87942>he questions
pushing religion [36] onto a "literally captive"
audience, especially in exchange for better
treatment. What Cain seems to be creating at
Angola, Moody warns, is an atmosphere of "imposed
Christian values" designed to put "notches on the old salvation belt."

With those who resist salvation, Cain takes a
somewhat different approach­as the men known as
the<http://motherjones.com/special-reports/2009/03/angola-3-36-years-solitude>
Angola Three [37] found out. When they came to
Angola in 1971 for armed robbery, Herman Wallace
and Albert Woodfox were Black Panthers, and they
began organizing to improve prison conditions.
That quickly landed them on the wrong side of the
prison administration, and in 1972 they were
prosecuted and convicted for the murder of a
prison guard. They have been fighting the
conviction ever since,
<http://www.angola3.org/uploads/Albert-Woodfox_amended_habeas_petition.pdf>pointing
out [38] (PDF) that one of the eyewitnesses was
legally blind, and the other was a known prison
snitch who was rewarded for his testimony.

After the murder, the two­along with a third
inmate named Robert King­were put in solitary,
and Woodfox and Wallace have now spent nearly
four decades in the hole­something Cain has
suggested has more to do with their politics than
with their crimes (King was released in 2001 when
his conviction in a separate prison murder was
overturned). In
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/207537-burl-cain-deposition-2008.html>a
2008 deposition [39], he said Woodfox "wants to
demonstrate. He wants to organize. He wants to be
defiant...He is still trying to practice Black
Pantherism, and I still would not want him
walking around my prison because he would
organize the young new inmates. I would have me
all kind of problems, more than I could stand,
and I would have the blacks chasing after them."

Wallace's and Woodfox's lawyers have pointed out
that the two men, now in their sixties, have had
a near-perfect record for more than 20 years. In
response, Cain argued that "it's not a matter of
write-ups. It's a matter of attitude and what you
are...Albert Woodfox and Herman Wallace is locked
in time with that Black Panther revolutionary
actions they were doing way back when...And from
that, there's been no rehabilitation." Wallace
has said that Cain suggested that he and Woodfox
could be released into the general population if
they renounced their political views and embraced Jesus.

I asked Fontenot about the Angola Three, and she
told me matter-of-factly that they just hadn't
played by the rules. Anyway, Wallace and Woodfox
had recently been shipped off to other prisons in
the state system. I asked about solitary
confinement. The prisoners in what Angola calls
"closed cells" had everything they needed, she
said. It was like having a little apartment.

The Angola three are not the only inmates who
claim they have suffered under Cain. Back in
1999, a group of five inmates took two guards
hostage and killed one of them during an
attempted prison break. Both then-Corrections
Secretary Richard Stalder and Warden Cain came to
the scene, and after learning of the guard's
death, Cain, according to news reports, sent in a
tactical team that killed one inmate and wounded
another. Nine years later, as the state prepared
to try five prisoners for the guard's murder, 25
inmates who were not involved in the escape
attempt testified to what happened next.
The prisoners in  “closed cells” had everything
they needed, assistant warden Fontenot said. It
was like having a little apartment.

<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/207634-david-mathis-trial-2008-testimonies-part-1.html>Transcripts
of their pretrial statements [40] suggest that as
prison officials tried to extract information or
confessions, Angola became what one attorney
described as "Abu Ghraib on the Mississippi."
Prisoners told of being beaten with fists,
batons, bats, sticks, and metal rods. "You've got
these grown men crying," one said. Several
inmates said they were thrown naked and without
bedding into freezing solitary-confinement cells,
denied medical care, and threatened with death if
they refused to sign statements that had been
prepared for them. The events prompted an FBI
investigation, and the state of Louisiana
eventually agreed to settle with 13 inmates who
filed civil rights lawsuits. But there was no
admission of guilt, and no reprimand for Warden Cain.

Even in normal times, Angola maintains a
punishment unit known as Camp J, which combines
extreme isolation and deprivation­prisoners
cannot have any personal items and are fed a
block of ground-up scraps known as "the loaf"­and
is plagued by suicide attempts. There are "things
that the mind can't handle," one former inmate
told me. "I guarantee you that today, somebody tried [suicide] in Camp J."

Certain accusations against Cain go beyond his
treatment of prisoners. Shortly after he took
over as warden, in 1995, he was implicated in a
scandal involving a company that used Angola
prison labor to relabel damaged or outdated cans
of milk and tomato paste. There were allegations
of kickbacks, and of retaliation against a
prisoner who wrote letters to federal health
officials. Both Cain and Corrections Secretary
Stalder
<http://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/PC-LA-0001-0011.pdf>were
held in contempt of court [41] (PDF) for
withholding documents, and Cain was warned to stop harassing the whistleblower.

In another episode, the Baton Rouge Advocate
reported that in 2007 a grand jury in Baton Rouge
subpoenaed documents involving the prison's
various businesses, as well as the Angola State
Prison Museum Foundation (headed by Sheryl
Ranatza, the Cain protégé who is now deputy
secretary at the department of corrections) and
the Angola Prison Rodeo, whose proceeds were once
put into a fund for prisoner expenses such as
funeral trips, TV, and the law library, but are
now used to maintain the arena and build prison
chapels. Cain is chairman of the committee that
runs the rodeo, and he founded and sits on the
board of the prison chapel foundation.

The FBI also has been investigating Prison
Enterprises, the state outfit that runs all
farming and industrial operations in Louisiana's
prisons, a probe that has led to several
indictments; last October, a contractor named
<http://www.justice.gov/usao/lam/press/press0907.html#f11>Wallace
"Gene" Fletcher [42] pled guilty to defrauding
Louisiana taxpayers of some $170,000.

In 2004, Angola Rodeo producer Dan Klein went to
the FBI with a complaint that Burl Cain had
forced him to contribute $1,000 to the Chapel
Fund. Cain said at the time that Klein made the
contribution without any pressuring, and the
warden himself has not been named in any of the indictments.

Daniel Bergner also says he was pressured to
pitch in for one of Cain's pet projects while
writing his book on Angola: Though he initially
had broad access to the prison, partway through
his reporting Cain asked him to help pay for a
new barn for his wife's dressage horses, which he
said would cost about $50,000. When Bergner
demurred, Cain made a straight pitch: In return
for arranging a "consultancy" payment for Cain,
Bergner would get continued access. Bergner
refused, whereupon Cain began demanding editorial
control over the book and finally barred Bergner
from the prison. Bergner only got access again after going to court.

After more than a year of trying to get into
Angola, I too turned to a lawsuit. In March 2010,
the ACLU agreed to represent me on
<https://www.laaclu.org/docketArchive.php?id=12#n12>a
First Amendment claim [43] arguing that to keep
government information from a reporter merely on
the basis of what he's written is an infringement
on press freedom. My attorneys asked for a
listing of visitors the prison had welcomed in
the previous year (not counting the everyday
tourists). Without hesitation, Angola provided
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/221445-angola-vistors-may09-may10.html>a
14-page list [44] that included Miss Louisiana,
the comedian Russell Brand, the Dixie Dazzle
Dolls (a children's beauty pageant group),
various groups of high school and college
students, judges, representatives from gospel
groups and film teams, scouts looking for film
locations, criminal justice students, a former
member of the Colombo crime family, a French
attorney. Members of the media included a
journalist from Switzerland; "Neal Moore, citizen
journalist, who was canoeing the Mississippi
River"; and a producer getting ready to film a
"future movie/documentary on finding happiness."
My attorneys dispatched one more letter to Cain
urging him to grant me a visit. There was no
response. But a month later, as the ACLU prepared
to file suit in federal court, Fontenot wrote to
them, inviting me down for a tour.

In his memoir,
<http://motherjones.com/media/2010/03/interview-wilbert-rideau-angola-prison>Wilbert
Rideau [10] writes about how tightly Cain
controls his messaging­a practice that had grim
consequences for the Angolite, once known for its
investigative reporting. At a time when even
outside journalists encountered increasing
barriers to access at prisons nationwide­it's
almost impossible now to interview an inmate, or
even a staffer, at many state and federal
prisons­the Angolite staffers found their calls
monitored and their stories censored. "The only
information coming out of Angola," Rideau says,
"was what Burl Cain wanted the public to know."

When I asked Fontenot about this, she shook her
head and told me that after he started winning
journalism prizes and drawing attention from
outside Angola, Rideau withdrew from prison life,
spending all his time holed up in the Angolite
offices. His celebrity, she thought, had gone to his head.

Or perhaps Rideau got on the wrong side of Cain
by refusing to embrace the dominant story of the
warden as Angola's savior, a narrative neatly
summed up by prison chaplain Robert Toney
<http://ftp.resource.org/gpo.gov/hearings/109h/20377.txt>in
congressional testimony [45] in 2005: Angola "was
once the most violent prison in America. Today,
we are known as the safest prison in America.
This change began with a warden that believed that change could occur."

In fact, there is considerable evidence that the
turnaround at Angola began two decades before
Cain became warden, in the 1970s, when a prisoner
lawsuit forced the facility into federal
oversight and a series of reforms began.
<http://www.burkfoster.com/Angola70s.htm>According
to Burk Foster [46], a professor of criminal
justice at Saginaw Valley State University in
Michigan and the leading historian of Angola, by
the mid-1980s Angola was already the most secure
prison in the South. Prison violence is down
dramatically across the country; the prison
murder rate
<http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/shsplj.pdf>has
fallen more than 90 percent [47] (PDF) nationwide in the last three decades.

Yet the legend of Cain persists­and not just
because Cain and his team (the formidable Cathy
Fontenot included) are so skilled at PR. Cain
does a job that no one else much wants to do,
dealing with a group of people that no one else
much wants to think about. Rather than face that
reality, most of us prefer to believe in a miracle.

Aside from the high-level escort, my tour of
Angola had covered pretty much what the tourists
see, except for the closing lunch­Fontenot took
me to the Ranch House, a sort of clubhouse where
the wardens and other officials get together in a
convivial atmosphere for chow prepared by inmate
cooks. (It's traditional for Ranch House cooks to
go on and work at the governor's mansion, but
Gov. Bobby Jindal had spurned that tradition.)
The house is built low, with a long porch and
white board fence; we sat down to barbecue
chicken, red beans and rice, and sweet potato pie, all of it quite good.

After lunch, I accompanied Fontenot to her office
in the administration building. When we'd
scheduled the tour, she'd promised me an
interview with Cain provided he was at Angola
when I visited, which she expected him to be. But
when I asked, "Where's the warden?" she said
matter-of-factly, "Oh, he's in Atlanta today."

On the way back over the line to the free world,
I asked Fontenot whether the warden might
consider talking to me on the phone. She
suggested I follow up once I got home, and I did,
thanking her for the tour and the fine luncheon.
After several weeks and multiple
inquiries­including a few questions submitted via
email, at her request­I got this reply:

The warden respectfully declines to participate
in this article. As he says often, its all of us
at Angola that have caused the positive changes.
Thanks again James. It really was a pleasure to
meet you in person. Stay warm during these cold days of winter.

Much peace to you,

Cathy

When I interviewed John Thompson, the exonerated
death-row inmate, about his time in Angola, he
mentioned what he believes is one of the public's
biggest misconceptions about prisons. Most people
look at the fence around the perimeter and think
its purpose is to keep prisoners from escaping.
But the barrier "isn't there to keep prisoners
in," Thompson said. "It's to keep the rest of you out."

----------
Source URL:
<http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/burl-cain-angola-prison>http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/burl-cain-angola-prison

Links: