[Ppnews] Statement by Short Corridor Collective of the Hunger Strike Leaders at Pelican Bay

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 27 20:45:04 EDT 2011

Written Statement by Short Corridor Collective
(a small representative of the Hunger Strike Leaders at Pelican Bay)

To Supporters:

On July 1, 2011, a collective group of PBSP-SHU
inmates composed of all races began an indefinite
hunger strike as a means of peacefully protesting
20-40 years of human rights violations. The
offenses against us rose to the level of both
physical and mental torture—for example, the
coercing of SHU inmates into becoming known
informants for the state and thereby placing
those prisoners, and possibly their families
outside of prison, at serious risk of danger in
response to being known to have informed on and
caused harm to other inmates via informing on
them. The decision to strike was not made on a
whim. It came about in response to years of
subjection to progressively more primitive
conditions and decades of isolation, sensory
deprivation and total lack of normal human
contact, with no end in sight. This reality,
coupled with our prior ineffective collective
filing of thousands of inmate grievances and
hundreds of court actions to challenge such
blatantly illegal policies and practices (as more
fully detailed and supported by case law, in our
formal complaint available online
<http://t.ymlp171.com/myharausshafambaxahy/click.php>here)
led to our conclusion that a peaceful protest via
hunger strike was our only available avenue to
expose what’s really been going on here in
CDCR-SHU prisons and to force meaningful change.

We ended the hunger strike the evening of July
20, 2011, on the basis of CDCR’s top level
administrators’ interactions with our team of
mediators, as well as with us directly, wherein
they agreed to accede to a few small requests
immediately, as a tangible good faith gesture in
support of their assurance that all of our other
issues will receive real attention, with
meaningful changes being implemented over time.
They made it clear: such changes would not happen
over night, nor would they be made in response to a hunger strike going on.

Many inmates across the state heard about our
protest and rose to the occasion in a solid show
of support and solidarity, as did thousands of
people around the world! Many inmates put their
health and lives on the line; many came close to
death and experienced medical emergencies. All
acted for the collective cause and recognized the
great potential for forcing change on the use of SHU units across the country.

With this support in mind, a core group of us was
committed to taking the hunger strike to the
death, if necessary, to force the changes sought.
Naturally, though, we hoped it would not come to that!

On July 20, 2011, several top CDCR administrators
sat across the table from us and made assurances
that they are in the process of making meaningful
changes right now, and will make affecting change
a priority in the future, while providing regular
updates and engaging in additional dialogue. And,
we know they’re being forced to restructure the
entire CDCR system in response to the U.S.
Supreme Court’s Plata ruling, which deals with reduction of inmate population.

Thus, our collective decision was to end the
hunger strike, on basis of their good faith
gesture with a few small things and to give them
the opportunity to make good on their assurances,
e.g. an end to human rights abuses and torture.
This decision drew from our view that we have
been successful in exposing CDCR’s illegal policies and practices to the world!
And, when it’s all said and done, there comes a
point where you have to give an entity the
opportunity to perform their end of an agreement
and the bottom line is this: CDCR could have
signed off on a piece of paper, granting all of
our demands and telling us, “you’ll all be cut
loose to the general population prison in six
months.” Then, six months later, tell us, “we’ve
reconsidered and it’s not happening.” So, we’ll
see soon enough where CDCR is really coming from.
More important is the fact that while the hunger
strike is over, the resistance/struggle to end
our subjection to (SHU) human rights violations and torture is just beginning!

We’ve drawn the line on this and should CDCR fail
to carry out meaningful changes in a timely
fashion, then we will initiate a class action
suit and additional types of peaceful protest. We
will not stop until the CDCR ends the illegal policies and practices at SHU!

We’re counting on all of our outside supporters
to continue to collectively support us and to
carry on with shining light on our resistance in
here. This is the right time for change in these
prisons and the movement is growing across the
land! Without the peoples’ support outside, we
cannot be successful! All support, no matter the
size, or content, comes together as a powerful
force. We’ve already brought more mainstream
exposure about these CDCR-SHU’s than ever before
and our time for real change to this system is
now! As for CDCR’s propaganda—that the hunger
strike was initiated and ordered by gang members
and the fact that up to 6,600 inmates
participated in 13 prisons across the state
demonstrates the gangs’ influence, which is why
they’re in SHU in the first place—our response
is, (1) CDCR has never responded to our formal
complaint, wherein we state, many of us have been
in SHU 10-40 years, just based on a CDCR gang
label, based on claims by confidential inmate
informants; we have never been found guilty of
committing an illegal gang-related act!
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of other inmates
whom CDCR has also labeled as gang affiliates are
allowed in the general population of prisons!
And, (2) the other inmates who participated did
so based on their own recognition of, and
decision to resist and protest, their similar
conditions! All of our public statements about
the PBSP-SHU protest clearly stated it was
voluntary and those whose age and/or medical
issues were an issue, should not participate! If
PBSP-SHU inmates had the influence over the gang
affiliates in CDCR prisons, as their propaganda
claims, there wouldn’t have been tens of
thousands of inmates participating in the hunger
strike (by CDCR’s own statistics, their system is
composed of approximately 70% gang
affiliates—that’s 70% of more than 140,000 inmates!)
The protest and resistance is not about gangs.
It’s all about a collective effort to end the
torture in these SHUs and we hope it sill serve
as an example to all inmates: there’s real power
in collective peaceful protest actions.

Todd Ashker, Arturo Castellanos, George Franco, Louis Powell.

Written July 22nd, 2011

Declaring a Victory & Ongoing Struggle

<http://t.ymlp171.com/myqafausshakambacahy/click.php>Prisoner
Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition

July 27, Prisoner Hungerstrike Solidarity:

The Short Corridor Collective, representatives of
the Pelican Bay Hunger Strike leaders, released a
statement explaining their reasoning behind
accepting the CDCR’s offer and ending the hunger strike. (see above)
As this struggle enters a new phase
post-initial-negotiation with the CDCR,
supporters outside prison are called on to carry
this fight and make sure that the CDCR follows
through with its offer of good faith. Supporters
everywhere are called on to continue to amplify
prisoners’ voices, and to strengthen our ties and
connections to better consolidate a growing
movement against imprisonment, torture, and all
violence. Please keep encouraging everyone you
know to refer to this website as a source for
information regarding the hunger strike, and the
ongoing work to win the five core demands
presented by the Pelican Bay hunger strikers.