[Ppnews] Hungerstrike Day Twenty Two - Moving Forward

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 22 18:23:16 EDT 2011

Day 22: Moving Forward

July 22 - Mediators from Prisoner Hunger Strike
Solidarity’s Mediation team spoke with the Short
Corridor Collective, four representatives of the
hunger strike leaders at Pelican Bay and
confirmed the leaders have accepted an offer from the CDCR.

When this news was announced at a vigil in
Oakland last night, one family member responded:
“I’m not going to believe it until my son tells
me so.” She will be seeing him at Pelican Bay this weekend.

According to family members and friends of
prisoners, as well as the CDCR, hunger strikers
continue to refuse food across CA– in at least
CCI Tehachapi, Corcoran and Calipatria. It is
unclear how long they will continue, if they are
aware of the agreement or even believe given the
misinformation CDCR has been circulating. As
families and friends gear up for another round of
weekend visits, we will have more information as
to whether hunger strikers will continue
protesting CDCR’s policies and conditions in the coming days.

The leaders confirmed CDCR’s announcement that
immediate changes in SHU policy are the
opportunity for some educational programs,
provision of all-weather caps (beanies) and wall
calendars. More substantially, the leaders
explained the CDCR has agreed to investigate
changes to other policies including the gang
validation and debriefing processes, and it is
now up to supporters outside prison to make sure
the CDCR upholds their promise.

Many supporters, as well as the Pelican Bay
hunger strike leaders, see this as a victory. The
leaders explained to the mediation team they are
overwhelmed by the support and solidarity of
family members, community members, organizations,
and people across the world joining their fight
for human rights, and cannot adequately express
their appreciation. They also explained this is
in no way over. Using a sports reference, the
Short Corridor Collective insisted: “this is just
the first quarter,” and what a start it has been.

The Pelican Bay Hunger Strike leaders also ask
all supporters, including the mediation team to
continue working together, to expand and to stay
involved in making sure these demands are met
fully, and that prisoners everywhere are
recognized and treated as human beings.

The goal of the hunger strike was not to let
prisoners starve, but was to expose the torturous
conditions of imprisonment (especially Security
Housing Units), to win the 5 core demands at
Pelican Bay, to end long-term solitary
confinement. This past week Secretary Cate began
threatening to issue force-feeding orders, a
process is both dangerous and painful. It’s
important for those of us on the outside to
recognize that the hunger strikers were faced
with two choices: increased or intensified
torture or death. In the end, these aren’t really
choices at all. The leaders chose to live to
fight for justice another day, and to grow and
strengthen the tremendous support and collaborations they have started.

Some gains so far:
    * While the CDCR vigorously dehumanizes
prisoners, and refused to negotiate, saying (“we
don’t negotiate with prisoners”), they were
effectively forced into offering an agreement to make changes;
    * this historic strike has demanded everyone
who is against torture in any way to recognize
prisoners as human beings, to act on their
beliefs that no one should ever be tortured;
    * this historic hunger strike has widened and
intensified international scrutiny into prison
conditions and policies in California, and around
the United States, as well as solidarity in
intervening in CDCR “business as usual.”
According to Terry Thorton, spokesperson for
CDCR, this strike was “a major disruption to
CDCR’s normal operations” (i.e. of control, isolation and torture);
    * this historic strike has (re)inspired
prisoners to work together in struggling for their humanity to be recognized;
    * this historic strike has proven to family
members, former prisoners, advocates, lawyers,
faith-based and religious groups, medical
professionals, and community members and
organizations that we can and need to continue to
work together better in the struggle to change
the conditions we live in, and to transform the
devastation and disappearance prisons cause in our communities
    * this historic strike has re-invigorated
rigorous and collective prisoner-led resistance in the US.
Meanwhile, support for the hunger strike clearly
needs to continue to grow. Events are still
happening, including another mobilization to
Sacramento to pressure Jerry Brown to take action
regarding torturous conditions of CA’s prisons.
(More details of this action coming soon.
<http://t.ymlp100.net/eqjapayqhazauybadahy/click.php>Click
here to read a letter to Jerry Brown signed by
organizations in support of the strike that will
be delivered to Jerry Brown at the action on
Monday, July 25) Family members also continue to
meet with each other. In the Bay Area on Tuesday
evening, a meeting will be held for family
members to discuss how they want to move forward
with this struggle. More details coming soon.

Also, a legislative hearing will be held on
August 23rd in Sacramento investigating Pelican Bay’s SHU.

Please stay tuned for more information, and hear
the prisoners call to continue working together
to amplify their voices and to resist torture and imprisonment!