[Ppnews] Why Should you Die for a Transfer? SF Police Kill 19 Yr. Old

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 18 17:15:06 EDT 2011

SF police kill teen, Kenneth Harding, as he ran
from them at T-train stop; crowds protest, rallies planned
By Willie Ratcliff

San Francisco Bay View National Black Newspaper

<http://sfbayview.com/2011/why-should-you-die-for-a-transfer/>http://sfbayview.com/2011/why-should-you-die-for-a-transfer/

When police stopped a teenager stepping off the
T-train yesterday to show his transfer as proof
he’d paid his fare – $2 at most – he ran from
them. They shot him as many as 10 times in the
back and neck, according to witnesses. For many
long minutes, as a crowd watched in horror, the
boy, who had fallen to the sidewalk a block away,
lay in a quickly growing pool of blood writhing
in pain and trying to lift himself up as the cops
trained their guns on him and threatened bystanders.

This frame from a video shot by a bystander shows
the teenager struggling to lift himself out of a
pool of his own blood as a San Francisco police
officer – one of several – aims his gun at the
boy rather than trying to save his life. – Video
frame: TheOneNonly457. The teen, Kenneth Harding,
is loudly moaning in pain and crying out for help.

Having killed the boy [Kenneth Harding] at 4:44
p.m., according to the San Francisco Chronicle,
[1] in broad daylight at the main intersection –
Third Street between Palou and Oakdale – in
Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco’s last
largely Black neighborhood, the police seemed
eager to terrorize the community. They waited and
waited and waited as the teenager stopped moving
but continued breathing before eventually setting
him on a gurney and taking him to the hospital,
where the Chronicle reports he died at 7:01 p.m.

“Why should you die for a transfer?” asked a
witness known as Tiptoe in the crowd of hundreds
of residents that soon gathered in the plaza at
the Oakdale/Palou light rail stop. “Justice will
be brought!” hollered one man repeatedly in a
booming voice as the crowd shouted at the long
line of police in riot gear standing between them
and the dying youngster. “I saw the riot squad
fly by me on Palou yesterday – five trucks in
all,” wrote Bayview resident Sherry Bryson on Facebook.

As night fell, firefighters washed the teenager's
blood off the sidewalk and police and reporters
talked. Rick Hauptman, who posted this photo on
Facebook, noted: "The police seemed almost jolly.
I saw many handshakes  among them; I couldn't
figure that out. Were they solely being
respectful to their colleagues and to senior
officers, or was it something else?”

As usual following police murders, the San
Francisco Police Department came up with an
excuse. The Chronicle [1] relayed it: “As the
officers tried to detain the man, he took off
running and drew a gun, police said,” according
to staff writer Joe Garofoli. “When the suspect
shot at the officers, they returned fire, fatally
wounding him,” he continued, quoting SFPD Sgt. Michael Andraychak.

None of the many witnesses I spoke with yesterday
saw the young victim either holding or shooting a
gun and firmly believe he was unarmed. ABC7’s
Carolyn Tyler balanced the police claim that they
shot the youngster in self-defense by
interviewing Trivon Dixon, who said: “He was
running. How could he be a threat in retreat? And
he wasn’t running backwards, turning around
shooting. He was in full throttle, running away
from the police. I don’t see in any way how he
could be a threat to the police.”

Go to
<http://sfbayview.com/2011/why-should-you-die-for-a-transfer/>http://sfbayview.com/2011/why-should-you-die-for-a-transfer/
for remainder of article, video and much more!