[Ppnews] Voices from Solitary: Letter from a Pelican Bay Hunger Striker

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 1 15:53:31 EDT 2011

Voices from Solitary: Letter from a Pelican Bay Hunger Striker

July 1, 2011
http://solitarywatch.com/2011/07/01/voices-from-solitary-letter-from-a-pelican-bay-hunger-striker/
by Jean Casella and James Ridgeway

The following letter was written by John R.
Martinez, one of the inmates in the Security
Housing Unit at California’s Pelican Bay State
Prison who
<http://solitarywatch.com/2011/06/30/hunger-strike-in-the-supermax-pelican-bay-prisoners-protest-conditions-in-solitary-confinement/>began
a hunger strike on July 1 to protest conditions
in solitary confinement. Written just before the
strike commenced, the letter is  addressed to
Governor Jerry Brown, Secretary of Corrections
and Rehabilitation Matthew Cate, and Pelican Bay Warden G.D. Lewis.

Gentlemen:

On July 1, 2011, I and my fellow prisoners – on
their own free will – will be commencing a hunger
strike to protest the denial of our human rights
and equality via the use of perpetual solitary
confinement. The Supreme Court has referred to
“solitary confinement” as one of the techniques
of “physical and mental torture” that have been
used by governments to coerce confessions
(Chambers v. Florida, 309 U.S. 227, 237-238 (1940)).

In regards to PBSP-SHU, Judge Thelton E.
Henderson stated that “many if not most, inmates
in the SHU experience some degree of
psychological trauma in reaction to their extreme
social isolation and the severely restricted
environmental stimulation in SHU” (Madrid v.
Gomez, 889 F. Supp. 1146, 1235 (N.D. Cal. 1995)).
Not surprisingly, Judge Henderson stated that
“the conditions in the SHU may press the outer
bounds of what most humans can psychologically
tolerate” and that sensory deprivation found in
the SHU “may well hover on the edge of what is
humanly tolerable for those with normal
resilience” (Madrid, 889 F. Supp. at 1267, 1280).
Four years later, a Texas federal judge reviewed
conditions in isolation of a Texas prison that
mirrored those of PBSP-SHU. He correctly held:

“Before the court are levels of psychological
deprivation that violate the United States
Constitution’s prohibition against cruel and
unusual punishment. It has been shown that
defendants are deliberately indifferent to a
systemic pattern of extreme social isolation and
reduced environmental stimulation. These
deprivations are the cause of cruel and unusual
pain and suffering by inmates in administrative
segregation
” (Ruiz v. Johnson, 37 F. Supp. 2d 855, 914-915 (S.D. Tex.1999)).

Thus solitary confinement, by its very nature, is
harmful to human beings, including prisoners,1
especially for those of us prisoners whose
isolation is perpetual based solely upon our
status as an associate or member of a gang. In
theory, our detention is supposedly for
administrative “non-disciplinary” reasons. Yet,
when I asked one of the prison staff why is it we
are not afforded the same privileges as those
gang affiliated inmates in a Level 4 general
population (GP), I was told that “according to
Sacramento,” we don’t “have shit coming” and that
it is the department’s “goal of breaking” us
down. Thus, our treatment is clearly punitive, discriminatory and coercive.

Further proof is provided by the fact that a
member of a disruptive group – i.e., a gang per
CCR 3000 – who commits a violent assault on a
non-prisoner will receive three to five years in
the SHU as punishment and then be released back
to the GP. Ironically, we on the other hand
receive way harsher treatment. We are subjected
to the same disciplinary SHU conditions. Worse
yet, for an indeterminate term solely for who we
are or who we know. Not for violent or disruptive behavior.

Most of us have been in isolation for over 15 and
20 years. In most cases, for simple possession of
a drawing, address, greeting card and/or other form of speech and association.

Unfortunately, some of my fellow prisoners are
not here with me today. The SHU has either driven
them to suicide,2 mental illness or becoming a
Judas – i.e., informer – to escape these cruel
conditions, which occurred after the findings in Madrid.

An oppressed people always have the right to rise
up and protest discrimination, oppression and
injustice. The Martin Luther King era reminds us
of that. So does the Attica prisoner uprising.
Those prisoners in Attica acted out, not because
they were “animals,” but because they were tired
of getting treated worse than animals. There is
no difference with us. The only difference is
that our protest is one of non-violence. We are a
civilized people that simply wish to be treated
as humans and with equality. Not subjected to
punitive treatment year after year, which is
imposed with a desire to injure. As Justice
Thurgood Marshall eloquently stated:

“When the prison gates slam behind an inmate, he
does not lose his human quality, his mind does
not become closed to ideas; his intellect does
not cease to feed on a free and open interchange
of opinions; his yearning for self-respect does
not end; nor is his quest for self-realization
concluded. If anything, the needs for identity
and self-respect are more compelling in the
dehumanizing prison environment
 It is the role
of the First Amendment
 to protect those
precious personal rights by which we satisfy such
basic yearnings of the human spirit” (Procunio v.
Martinez, 416 U.S. 326, 428 (1974)).

Wherefore, I respectfully request that our
reasonable demands attached hereto be honored as
soon as possible and that the bigotry and
persecution against us for who we are come to an end once and for all.

Respectfully submitted,

John R. Martinez

“Remember those in prison as if you were their
fellow prisoners and those who are mistreated as
if you yourselves were suffering.” – Hebrews 13:3

cc: Family, friends and supporters

1. “Empirical research on solitary and
supermax-like confinement has consistently and
unequivocally documented the harmful consequences
of living in these kinds of environments.
“Studies undertaken over four decades corroborate
such an assertion. (Craig Haney, “Mental health
issues in long-term solitary and ‘supermax’
confinement” in crime and delinquency. Vol. 49,
No. I, January 2003, pp. 124-156). See also,
Amnesty International, Report on Torture, Penal Coercion, 1983.

2. As Kevin Johnson reported in USA Today:
California, which has the largest state prison
system in the nation, saw a total of 41 suicides
in 2006; of those suicides, 69 percent were in
solitary confinement. (“Inmate suicides linked to
solitary,” USA Today, Dec. 27, 2006.) Those numbers have increased since then.

John R. Martinez can be reached at J-S2893, PBSP
SHU, P.O. Box 7500, Crescent City, CA 95532.

More information on the Pelican Bay hunger strike
can be found at the websites of the
<http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/>Prisoner
Hunger Strike Solidarity coalition and
<http://www.prisons.org/>California Prison Focus.