[Ppnews] EMERGENCY CAMPAIGN - to free Oscar Lopez Rivera

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jan 23 11:27:55 EST 2011

EMERGENCY • URGENT • EMERGENCY • URGENT • EMERGENCY • URGENT

NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY CAMPAIGN
January 22, 2011
Please forward far and wide-facebook, twitter, etc

A Parole Commission spokesperson just told Puerto
Rican political prisoner Oscar López Rivera’s
attorney that the decision whether to parole
Oscar could be made by February 1-THAT MEANS WE
HAVE 8 DAYS TO IMPACT THE PAROLE BOARD POSITIVELY
TO REJECT THE PAROLE EXAMINERS RECOMMENDATION.

Research reveals that the Parole Commission
adopts the recommendation of their hearing
examiners about 80% of the time. Research also
reveals that the Parole Commission can be very
vulnerable to negative outside pressure, especially from law enforcement.

This means we have an uphill battle.

All of this means that if we want to see Oscar
come home, we must mail/fax the Parole Board more
support letters NOW. All support letters must
reach the Parole Commission by February 1.

If the Commission takes longer than 30 days to
decide, then we will continue our accelerated
efforts to collect support letters.

Please do the following immediately:

1) Contact at least 20 more people to fax
(301/492-5543) and mail the attached letter to
the Parole Board. If the attachment does not go
through. please go the
<http://boricuahumanrights.org>http://boricuahumanrights.org
and download the letter. Contact us at
<mailto:alejandrom at boricuahumanrights.org>alejandrom at boricuahumanrights.org
and let us know how many letters were mailed/faxed.

2) Call the Parole Board (301.492.5990) at and
use the attached script (text is also at the
bottom of this email. START CALLING ON MONDAY,
JANUARY 24 EVERY DAY UNTIL WE RECEIVE
NOTIFICATION THAT THE PAROLE BOARD HAS REJECTED
OR CONFIRMED THE EXAMINER'S DECISION. I

<file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\phone%20script%20draft34.pdf><file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\phone%20script%20draft34.pdf>
phone script draft34.pdf

<file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\OLR_1_pager_to_PB7.pdf><file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\OLR_1_pager_to_PB7.pdf>
OLR_1_pager_to_PB7.pdf

PHONE CALL script

To U.S. Parole Board 301.492.5990
Hi, my name is ______________ and I live in
Chicago  The Parole Commission should parole
Oscar López Rivera# 87651-024 immediately, in
spite of the hearing examiner’s recommendation to
deny parole.  IF YOU HAVE TIME, YOU CAN USE ONE
OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS: 1) Oscar has the
support of a broad sector of Puerto  Rico’s civil
society as well as Puerto Rican and
Latino  communities throughout the United
States.  2) Oscar was not accused or convicted of
causing  injury or taking a life. He was never
accused or convicted of participating in the 1975
Fraunces Tavern bombing or any other action that
resulted in injury or death.  3) President
Clinton’s determination that Mr. López Rivera’s
sentence was disproportionately lengthy, and his
offer that would have resulted in Mr. López
Rivera’s release in September of 2009. Parole
Board Phone call-in script Every Wednesday,
starting January 19, from 9-5 EST until further
notice US Parole Board phone: (301) 492-5990