[Ppnews] FBI harasses Dakota activist Waziyatawin for speech in Minnesota

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Jan 8 19:01:39 EST 2011

FBI harasses Dakota activist Waziyatawin for speech in Minnesota

By Brad Sigal
http://www.fightbacknews.org/2011/1/8/fbi-harasses-dakota-activist-waziyatawin-speech-minnesota

January 8, 2011
Read more articles in
<http://www.fightbacknews.org/news/peoples-struggles/oppressed-nationalities/indigenous-peoples>Indigenous
Peoples
Take action:

The Twin Cities chapter of the International Jewish Anti-Zionist
Network initiated a solidarity statement and encourages individuals
and organizations to sign on. The
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEpGLUJESHZYaWJmTktSUHBPcklSVEE6MQ>statement
is available here.

Winona, MN - On Jan. 3, an FBI agent contacted Waziyatawin, a
well-known Dakota activist and scholar. The agent from the FBI's
Mankato, Minnesota office wanted to question her about her beliefs
and about the content of a speech she gave in Winona on Nov. 8, 2010.
Waziyatawin said she declined to talk with the FBI agent about the
presentation or her viewpoints and instead referred him to her attorney.

According to a statement being circulated by her supporters,
Waziyatawin's Nov. 8 speech concerned the brutal realities of the
colonization of this continent's land, its resources, and First
Nations People. She also spoke of a common need to restore the
environment and a way of living that is not reliant on capitalism and
the destruction of nature.

The FBI agent claimed to be investigating her because of the speech,
which sparked a series of letters in the Winona Post newspaper. The
first letter in the newspaper, by a college student who attended the
speech, accused Waziyatawin of making "terroristic threats." He told
Minnesota Public Radio that the FBI then contacted him three times
about his accusations.

The accusation of "terrorist threats" seem to revolve around the fact
that the speech included the phrase "by any means necessary," and
when responding to questions about violence she also allegedly said
or implied that violence was likely in the struggle to win justice
for Native people. Waziyatawin told Minnesota Public Radio, "When I'm
talking about there will undoubtedly be violence, I'm talking about
violence against the Dakota people by the state, if we work toward justice."

At the same time Waziyatawin says she is not a pacifist, given the
history of genocide and ongoing oppression against Native nations and
peoples by the U.S. government. In a statement on Dec. 2 responding
to the controversy over her Winona speech (before the FBI got
involved), she said she does not apologize for her Winona speech, and
she invoked the words of Little Crow, the leader of Dakota resistance
in 1862. Her statement pointedly runs through the basic facts of
genocide and ongoing oppression of the Dakota people:

Our land is still under occupation. Most of our people still live in
exile. Dakota people are still prevented from practicing basic
freedoms (even access to sacred sites). All of the systems and
institutions to which we are subject are colonial in nature and they
all prevent us from living freely as Dakota people. We hold a
fraction of 1% of our original land base in Minisota and our
populations would die if we had to subsist on those small parcels of
land. Our populations still suffer from high rates of early
mortality, suicide, and violence. We suffer tremendously from Western
diseases (alcoholism, cancer, diabetes). We live in a society that
continues to justify our extermination and non-existence while
glorifying perpetrators of genocide and rationalizing land theft.
And, we have largely, silently witnessed the destruction of our
homeland through extensive mining, logging, manufacturing, energy
production, industrial agriculture and animal feedlots.

Her statement goes on to quantify the destruction of the environment
and lands that were stolen from the Dakota people to create the state
of Minnesota.

Her point of state violence against Native people was driven home in
a statement put out by her supporters: "At the time she spoke,
members of the Dakota Nation were holding a Commemorative March along
the route that nearly two thousand Dakota people were forcibly
marched in 1862. The march route passes through Winona on its way
from Lower Sioux Agency to Fort Snelling, where, over the winter of
1862-1863, those who managed to survive the march itself faced
confinement, starvation, disease, rape and (for many), death."

Waziyatawin gained public attention in 2007 when she was arrested
three times for committing civil disobedience to protest the official
2008 Minnesota sesquicentennial celebration, which didn't adequately
deal with the fact that the founding of Minnesota as a state came at
the expense of the Dakota people in the midst of war and horrific
violence. During the sesquicentennial, Waziyatawin and other
activists tried to symbolically block a commemorative wagon train en
route to St. Paul. All charges were dropped against her for those arrests.

Waziyatawin has worked through lectures, speeches and classes to help
non-Native people learn about the history of the U.S. government's
brutal treatment of Dakota people, and current Dakota struggles for
justice. She helped inspire a group of non-Native activists to form a
Dakota solidarity group, Unsettling Minnesota. Waziyatawin gave the
keynote speech at the Minnesota National Lawyers Guild's annual
Social Justice dinner last year.

The FBI's harassment of Waziyatawin doesn't appear directly tied to
the ongoing case of FBI and grand jury harassment against anti-war
and international solidarity activists in Minnesota and Chicago. But
activists involved see a clear connection because in both cases the
FBI is working to undermine well-known progressive activists with
allegations relating to 'terrorism' based on their speech and their
ideas. At their Jan. 6 meeting, the Minnesota Committee to Stop FBI
Repression endorsed a solidarity statement condemning FBI harassment
of Waziyatawin.

The Twin Cities chapter of the International Jewish Anti-Zionist
Network initiated the solidarity statement and encourages individuals