[Ppnews] Final Victory for Francisco Torres and the San Francisco 8

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Aug 19 19:39:10 EDT 2011

"It took over 4 1/2 years to win this case!" said Cisco Torres.

Judge Philip Moscone signed and filed an order dismissing charges
against Francisco Torres late Thursday, August 18th. Cisco was the
last former Black Panther member facing charges in this 1971 case
about the killing of a SF Police Sergeant. In 1973 several of the men
were brutally tortured by police in Louisiana to elicit false
confessions.  The case was dismissed in the 1970s, but charges were
filed again in January of 2007 against eight former Black Panthers.
They all resisted this renewed repression. Charges against Ray
Boudreaux, Richard Brown, Hank Jones, Richard O'Neal and Harold
Taylor were previously dismissed for insufficient evidence. Herman
Bell and Jalil Muntaqim plead to greatly reduced charges receiving
time served and probation.

Cisco Torres, speaking for himself and on behalf of the San Francisco
8, was elated, giving "Our thanks to all of our supporters for
battling with us for so long - our victory is shared!"

A more detailed statement and story will follow!