[Ppnews] This Hungerstrike is Far From Over

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 15 10:14:06 EDT 2011

a Letter from Mutope Duguma (s/n James Crawford):

This Hungerstrike is Far From Over

It is a sincere pleasure to once again extend my
hand to my beautiful New Afrikan people. I have
been recuperating from not eating for 20 days
straight and I can tell you based on my personal
experience that it was hell! I could feel the
life gradually being sucked out of me.
It had been as cruel as I imagined it would be,
but we had guys falling out every day and me and
my celly lost 40 pounds. My celly is Sitawa (R.N.
Dewberry), who sends his regards. He had to be
shipped out to Corcoran SHU due to how frail he
had gotten. He’s 6 feet 1 inch and weighed 206
pounds, and he went all the way down to 166
pounds. And I am a 6-foot-3-inch frame, weighing
250 pounds. I went down to 210 pounds.

But it was definitely a scary event because you
never knew when it was your time to fall out due
to starvation. I noticed if you have a fast
metabolism your weight will fall off real quick,
because Sitawa looked scary thin. I was worried about him.

When you love your people, you always are
concerned about them. I told him to just stop
moving around so much, but he’s a revolutionary.
We argued about trying to save one another
throughout the whole time while we both was slipping away very slowly.

Now we are trying to get our weight back up
because this hunger strike is far from over. You
know Sitawa is one of our four principal
negotiators. He represented all of the New
Afrikans held in solitary confinement throughout California.

Right now due to the negotiations on July 20,
2011, the hunger strike was called off
temporarily because CDCR (California Department
of Corrections and Rehabilitation) Undersecretary
Scott Kernan and Secretary Matthew Cate begged
our negotiators to call off the hunger strike and
give them two to three weeks to implement our
five core demands. We’re still waiting as of Aug. 7, 2011.

Then these two idiots propagate that our
negotiators settled for a watch cap, proctor and
calendars when many of us been held in solitary
confinement on the word of a prison snitch for 10
to 40 years. And we settled for this crap? Be for real.

So our negotiators are not worried because the
only thing important is what they do and say in
this next negotiation. He promised all five of
our demands along with progressive change. So if
he came empty-handed, then it’s back to the beginning: hunger strike.

We have 500 prisoners who literally didn’t want
to get off the hunger strike, but we have to be
mindful that these prisoners, including
ourselves, are willing to sacrifice our lives –
because what other choice do we have outside of
being subjected to torture for the rest of our lives?

So does it matter to us? No, because for 21 1/2
years we have been quietly held in Pelican Bay
State Prison solitary confinement under some of
the most horrible conditions known to man. So we
continue to struggle to be treated like decent human beings.

I’ll keep you all posted because this hunger
strike hasn’t even got off the ground yet!

The system cannot play us because we are going to
make peaceful demonstrations in order to resist
this torture, and the hunger strike is definitely
a peaceful stance we can continue to exercise.

It’s been my pleasure!
One love, one struggle.

This letter was received by the
<http://sfbayview.com/2011/this-hunger-strike-is-far-from-over/>San
Francisco Bay View on Aug. 12. Send our brother
some love and light: James Crawford, D-05996,
D1-117U, PBSP-SHU, P.O. Box 7500, Crescent City
CA 95532. He is the writer of
“<http://sfbayview.com/2011/the-call-hunger-strike-to-begin-july-1/>The
Call,” the formal announcement that alerted the
world to this massive hunger strike, in which
6,600 prisoners participated, according to CDCR’s
own records. As the strike was about to begin, he
wrote
“<http://sfbayview.com/2011/shu-prisoners-sentenced-to-civil-death-begin-hunger-strike/>SHU
prisoners sentenced to civil death begin hunger
strike,” explaining the reasons for the strike.

Join and Support the Statewide Mobilization to Sacramento August 23rd

<http://t.ymlp100.net/mmhadayqwaaaujeafaqh/click.php>Prisoner
Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition

On August 23rd, San Francisco Representative Tom
Ammiano and the Public Safety Committee in the
State Assembly of CA will hold an informational
hearing on conditions and policies of the
Security Housing Units at Pelican Bay. This is a
major opportunity for supporters outside of
prison to support the hunger strike and to
pressure state legislators and the CDCR to make substantial changes.

Support families & community members to give
testimony on the conditions of the SHUs and
amplify the voices of the thousands of prisoners across California!

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
If you’re in California or on the West Coast:
    * Join the Statewide Mobilization to
Sacramento! Come to Sacramento on August 23rd for
a day of action to support the hunger strike! If
you need a ride, contact
prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity at gmail.com as soon as possible.
    * Pressure your Legislators! Call and/or
visit your legislators and urge them to attend
the hearing on August 23rd, as well as visit the
hunger strikers at Pelican Bay and other prisons
    * Make Some Noise! Organize demonstrations,
events, rallies in a city near you targeting your
legislators’ local offices leading up to the
hearing or during (if you’re legislators are not attending)!
    * Support Transportation for supporters across the state!
    * Contact
prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity at gmail.com if you
can drive a car from where ever you are in CA to
Sacramento and have room for more passengers.
    * You can also donate funds to Prisoner
Hunger Strike Solidarity so that families and
community members across CA can get to Sacramento
on August 23rd. Donate by going to California
Prison Focus’ website, on the left-hand side
there’s a donate button that will link you to
CPF’s paypal account. Or, write a check and mail
it to California Prison Focus/ 1904 Franklin Suit
507/ Oakland CA 94612. Make sure to put a note on
your check or paypal transaction “hunger strike” or “coalition.”
If you’re outside of California:
    * Support transportation for supporters
across the state! Donate funds to Prisoner Hunger
Strike Solidarity so that families and
communities members across CA can get to
Sacramento on August 23rd. Donate by going to
California Prison Focus’ website, on the
left-hand side there’s a donate button that will
link you to CPF’s paypal account. Or, write a
check and mail it to California Prison Focus/
1904 Franklin Suit 507/ Oakland CA 94612. Make
sure to put a note on your check or paypal
transaction “hunger strike” or “coalition”
    * Pressure your Legislators! Contact your
state legislators and urge them to get every CA
state legislator they know to attend the
Legislative Hearing on the 23rd, as well as visit
hunger strikers at Pelican Bay and other prisons.
    * Make some Noise! Organize local rallies,
demonstrations and events in solidarity with the
hunger strike near or on August 23rd to help
spread awareness about the strike, the hearing,
and local struggles against imprisonment.
**For Supporters Everywhere: We encourage all
supporters to continue spreading the word about
the strike and the upcoming hearing, through
emails, facebook, text-messages, twitter–all
tools of social media and communication. We also
encourage supports to continue writing prisoners
and sharing words of support, encouragement, and
updates on the strike and statewide mobilization
to Sacramento for the hearing.
<http://prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com/write-to-the-strike-leaders/>Click
here for more info to write to the hunger strike leaders.