[Ppnews] Netanyahu imposes harsher conditions on Palestinian political prisoners

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Aug 12 16:58:27 EDT 2011

Netanyahu imposes harsher conditions on Palestinian political prisoners

Adri Nieuwhof

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/adri-nieuwhof/netanyahu-imposes-harsher-conditions-palestinian-political-prisoners

<http://electronicintifada.net/blog/adri-nieuwhof/netanyahu-imposes-harsher-conditions-palestinian-political-prisoners>EI,
August 11, 2011

This week I received a letter from Ali, a
Palestinian political prisoner from Israel. Ali
is one of the 126 Palestinian prisoners who have
served more than 20 years in prison. He writes,
"I spent already 23 years of my life in Israeli
prison but the prison couldn’t break my spirit. I
am still a Palestinian who is struggling against
the occupation in every way that I can." He
explains how he is fighting the decision of
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to ban "our
right to finish our study at the open university."

Absurd practice

Netanyahu
<http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/netanyahu-israel-to-toughen-conditions-for-palestinian-prisoners-1.369314>announced
his plans to impose harsher conditions on
Palestinian prisoners in Israel’s prisons on 23
June. He described academic studies for
Palestinian prisoners as "an absurd practice" and
stated his intention to end their enrollment in academic studies.
The European Community held a different opinion
on academic studies for political prisoners in
the 1980s. As a member of the Holland Committee
on Southern Africa, I was involved in the
implementation of the European Special Programme
for Victims of Apartheid funded by the European
Community. Millions of dollars were spent each
year, including vast amounts on the study costs
of political prisoners in South Africa’s jails.

Reprisals and collective punishment

Netanyahu’s outburst came after the Islamic
movement refused an international call to prove
that a captive Israeli soldier held in Gaza since
2006 is still alive. Surprisingly, Netanyahu
claimed that Israeli respects international law
in its treatment of Palestinian political
prisoners. It is hard to reconcile his plans for
collective punishment of Palestinian political
prisoners with international law. Reprisals and
collective punishment are prohibited under
international law, including under Article 33 of
the Fourth Geneva Convention relative to the
Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War.

The Israel Prison Service executed Netanyahu’s
wish to ban Palestinian prisoners from
registering for academic study within a month.

Ongoing inhuman and degrading treatment

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) in
Gaza condemned the new measures taken by the
Israeli Prison Service in a
<http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7589:pchr-condemns-punitive-measures-against-palestinian-prisoners-in-israeli-jails&catid=36:pchrpressreleases&Itemid=194>press
release dated 21 July. PCGR writes:

The gravity of this decision is that it forms
part of a series of measures. (
) Other measures
taken against prisoners include intensifying
searching prisoners after forcing them to take
off their clothes and placing Palestinian
leaders, in Israeli jails, in solitary
confinement. Palestinian prisoners have responded
by declaring a set of actions in protest of such
escalations. Prisoners went on a hunger strike
for 10 sporadic days over the past two months.

This decision by the Israeli Prisons
Administration is part of a general policy
adopted by Israeli occupation authorities against
Palestinian prisoners who are subjected to cruel
living conditions as well as inhumane and
degrading treatment, including torture,
deteriorating health conditions and medical
negligence towards prisoners – including those
suffering from serious illnesses.

This has, in some cases, led to death. This
decision is extremely serious because it is based
on instructions given from the top of the Israeli political establishment.

PCHR calls upon human rights organizations to
follow up cases of Palestinian prisoners and to
request their governments to exert pressure on
Israel to halt its arbitrary practices against
Palestinian prisoners and to release them. It is
time to develop an international agenda to raise
awareness about the maltreatment of Palestinian political prisoners.

Security multinational G4S

The Danish-British security firm G4S delivers
security services to prisons in Israel. Who
Profits, a research project of the Israeli
Coalition of Women for Peace, and Danish
financial watchdog DanWatch, revealed this
<http://electronicintifada.net/content/outcry-denmark-over-firms-involvement-occupation/9142>in
November last year. G4S described in its own
promotional material that it supplied a perimeter
defense system for the walls around the Ofer
prison compound, all the security systems in
Keztiot prison and a central command room in
Megiddo prison. According to G4S these prisons
hold 4,900 Palestinian "security prisoners.

By providing services to Israeli prisons, G4S
helps to facilitate Israel’s violations of the
rights of Palestinian political prisoners. The
article
"<http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=3937>G4S
delivers services to Israeli prisons and illegal
settlements", which I wrote with Basma Salem,
gives an overview of these violations. In March,
G4S refused to clarify to
<http://electronicintifada.net/content/security-firm-g4s-partly-withdraws-w-bank/9273>The
Electronic Intifada whether it will cancel contracts with prisons in Israel.

As G4S operates
in<http://www.g4s.com/en/Who%20we%20are/Where%20we%20operate/>
many countries, BDS activists all over the world
have the opportunity to raise awareness of
Israel’s violations of the rights of Palestinian political prisoners.