[Ppnews] Carlos Montes goes to court Aug. 12 - Make these calls!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Aug 5 12:06:04 EDT 2011

Support Carlos Montes as he goes to court Friday, August 12

Call
President Barak Obama at 202-456-1111

Attorney General Eric Holder at 202-514-2001

Sample call: "My name is ________ and I am calling from [city,
state]. I'm calling about Carlos Montes of Los Angeles. He is one of
the anti-war activists being targeted by the FBI. I want you to tell
Attorney General Holder [or President Obama]:
1. Drop the charges against Carlos Montes!

2. Stop the FBI and the Grand Jury repression of the other 23
anti-war and international solidarity activists.

3. Return all property to Carlos Montes and the other activists
raided by the FBI.
  The U.S. government should not be prosecuting us when we exercise
our rights to freedom of speech and dissent."

On Friday, August 12, Carlos Montes will appear in a Los Angeles
court again, for a preliminary hearing. At
his<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=e982b2785b&e=b7378561ef>
last court date on July 6, Carlos pled "Not guilty!" to six charges,
including a felony charge each for a firearm and ammunition, and four
related to the permits' paperwork. Like millions of Americans, Carlos
has for many years held legal permits. So why is it that all of a
sudden the government is saying there is a problem? These charges are
a pretext to attack Carlos for his years of activism.

Please join us in calling U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and
President Obama, demanding a stop to the prosecution of Carlos
Montes. We need to stop the persecution of political activists like
Carlos, like the 23 Midwest anti-war and international solidarity
activists, people like you and me.

Make no mistake; the U.S. government's trial of Carlos Montes is an
attack on the immigrants' rights and anti-war movements. So please
call today and let Holder and Obama know we are building a movement
that will not bow down to dirty tricks and political repression.

In addition,
the<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=d7c11d4f12&e=b7378561ef>
Los Angeles Committee to Stop FBI Repression is mobilizing to
pack the courtroom on the morning of Friday, August 12, in
Department 100 at the Criminal Courts Building, 210 W. Temple Street,
Los Angeles, when Carlos Montes appears.

About Carlos Montes:
       Carlos Montes is a veteran Chicano activist known for his
leadership of the 1968 East Los Angeles education reform movement
(see film
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=ad628edd6e&e=b7378561ef>Walkout),
the historic Chicano Moratorium against the U.S. war in Vietnam, and
the recent immigrants' rights mega-marches of 2006. Carlos Montes was
a co-founder of the Brown Berets, a Chicano youth organization that
stood for justice, equality, and self-determination.
         With the 2003 Bush administration war and occupation of
Iraq, Montes helped form and lead L.A. Latinos Against War. In recent
years, Carlos helped initiate and organize the Southern California
Immigration Coalition, to fight against Immigration and Customs
Enforcement (ICE) and police repression.
About this case:
         Now Montes himself is the target of government repression
and the FBI's dirty tricks. When the FBI raided several Midwest homes
and served subpoenas on September 24, 2010, Carlos Montes' name was
listed on the FBI search warrant for the
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=d1995aacde&e=b7378561ef>Anti-War
Committee office in Minneapolis--the organizing center for the 2008
Republican National Convention protests, where Carlos participated.
       Then on May 17, 2011, the LA Sheriffs broke down Carlos' door,
arrested him, and ransacked his home. They took political documents,
a computer, cell phones and meeting notes having nothing to do with
the charges. The FBI attempted to question Montes while he was
handcuffed in a squad car, regarding the case of the 23 Midwest
anti-war and solidarity activists.
        On June 16, 2011, Carlos appeared in court and obtained the
arrest documents showing the FBI initiated the raid. A reporter
interviewing a
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=91926fa7d4&e=b7378561ef>Los
Angeles Sheriff sergeant confirmed that the FBI was in charge. Carlos
Montes is facing six felony charges with the possibility of 18 years
in prison due to his political organizing. Carlos Montes case is part
and parcel of the FBI raids and political repression centered in the
Midwest. We need you to take action against this repression.

----------
You can also invite Carlos Montes to speak using a live Internet
video call. It is easy to do and works well. More details on the
video calls coming next week.

Please
<http://stopfbi.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=8b7315d854bc40ca9fa6dd227&id=adcd159357&e=b7378561ef>sign
the petition for Carlos Montes on