[Ppnews] Update from Pelican Bay & Actions

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 3 16:53:23 EDT 2011

Dear Friends,

We received an important update from the hunger strike leaders at
Pelican Bay, dated July 24th. Hunger Strike leader Todd Ashker says
the strikers are giving the CDCR of 2-3 weeks from July 20th to come
up with some substantive changes in response to their five core
demands. If the CDCR does not follow through, prisoners at Pelican
Bay plan to go back on hunger strike. Todd writes:

"It's very important that our supporters know where we stand, and
that CDCR knows that we're not going to go for any B.S. We remain as
serious about our stand now as we were at the start, and mean what we
said regarding an indefinite hunger strike peaceful protest until our
demands are met. I repeat-we're simply giving CDCR a brief grace
period in response to their request for the opportunity to get [it]
right in a timely fashion! We'll see where things stand soon enough!"

Supporters are urged to keep up pressure on the CDCR and CA state
legislators to meet the Hunger Striker's demands.

Please join us and support a statewide mobilization to Sacramento on
August 23rd for an informational legislative hearing held by the CA
State Assembly's Public Safety Committee!

Support Statewide Mobilization to Sacramento August 23rd

If you're in California or on the West Coast:
    * Join the Statewide Mobilization to Sacramento! Come to
Sacramento on August 23rd for a day of action to support the hunger
strike! If you need a ride, contact
prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity at gmail.com as soon as possible.
    * Pressure your Legislators! Call and/or visit your legislators
and urge them to attend the hearing on August 23rd, as well as visit
the hunger strikers at Pelican Bay and other prisons
    * Make Some Noise! Organize demonstrations, events, rallies in a
city near you targeting your legislators' local offices leading up to
the hearing or during (if you're legislators are not attending)!
    * Support Transportation for supporters across the state!
    * Contact prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity at gmail.com if you can
drive a car from where ever you are in CA to Sacramento and have room
for more passengers.
    * You can also donate funds to Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity
so that families and community members across CA can get to
Sacramento on August 23rd. Donate by going to
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ko9ntucab&et=1106923022351&s=3657&e=001DcKx0s1zlP7b9GBefsWiHTuOmaKT_Jr96F-ALeVinKI4JFWZHGQrGyz7EVZV8qFJPOV2hHcRRDmJCN6PMh0YRuAwGHsI2PJoER-KeofTZ-Y=>California
Prison Focus' website, on the left-hand side there's a donate button
that will link you to CPF's paypal account. Or, write a check and
mail it to California Prison Focus/ 1904 Franklin Suit 507/ Oakland
CA 94612. Make sure to put a note on your check or paypal transaction
"hunger strike" or "coalition."

If you're outside of California:
    * Support transportation for supporters across the state! Donate
funds to Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity so that families and
communities members across CA can get to Sacramento on August 23rd.
Donate by going to
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ko9ntucab&et=1106923022351&s=3657&e=001DcKx0s1zlP7b9GBefsWiHTuOmaKT_Jr96F-ALeVinKI4JFWZHGQrGyz7EVZV8qFJPOV2hHcRRDmJCN6PMh0YRuAwGHsI2PJoER-KeofTZ-Y=>California
Prison Focus' website, on the left-hand side there's a donate button
that will link you to CPF's paypal account. Or, write a check and
mail it to California Prison Focus/ 1904 Franklin Suit 507/ Oakland
CA 94612. Make sure to put a note on your check or paypal transaction
"hunger strike" or "coalition"
    * Pressure your Legislators! Contact your state legislators and
urge them to get every CA state legislator they know to attend the
Legislative Hearing on the 23rd, as well as visit hunger strikers at
Pelican Bay and other prisons.
    * Make some Noise! Organize local rallies, demonstrations and
events in solidarity with the hunger strike near or on August 23rd to
help spread awareness about the strike, the hearing, and local
struggles against imprisonment.

**For Supporters Everywhere: We encourage all supporters to continue
spreading the word about the strike and the upcoming hearing, through
emails, facebook, text-messages, twitter--all tools of social media
and communication. We also encourage supports to continue writing
prisoners and sharing words of support, encouragement, and updates on
the strike and statewide mobilization to Sacramento for the hearing.
Click
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ko9ntucab&et=1106923022351&s=3657&e=001DcKx0s1zlP5qmkXgPQat0rMpG9vHGu4aZLVVeNKO43SH0g511NlPYpYIIEnFWDH6Bnl6-g_KTFwluoXrrWS6Kdp_DG6Ew-tBQuyWKnPCt-eOh238sKsRDkKGd_Q5nq6Fj4ck5cScbG2E73qP8hKgnF4TkdSIdtdztbSNUFqaHxUdH0RDxuUOiBbQ70e-O3ak>here
for more info to write to the hunger strike leaders.

For regular updates on the hunger strike and efforts to support it,
visit
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ko9ntucab&et=1106923022351&s=3657&e=001DcKx0s1zlP4Ws7yyn4SZ3ZCOkQhLTzdl3B7CA7rcbNg5982A6HTfH11vwaVXWjOpLaugLuOYLmIfB0mAmf-c0utlKnAeyZ965ZVe3K_iVfusA7LMXD5LshtGzC616w50IfvbbXZ5-YMApRE4KEaELg==>prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com.

In Solidarity,

Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity