[Ppnews] We Are Troy Davis - Save Troy Davis' life

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 27 11:59:32 EDT 2011

http://www.counterpunch.org/marlowe04272011.html
April 27, 2011

This Could Be Any of Us

We Are Troy Davis

By JEN MARLOWE

Last Monday, I attended the funeral service of
Virginia Davis in Savannah, GA. Reverend Dr.
Warnock delivered a passionate eulogy for
Virginia, which ended with a powerful call to
action: The best way to honor Virginia's life, he
said, is to fight for her son Troy's life.

I am writing to ask you to help fight for Troy's life.

Troy Davis is on death row for the 1989 murder of
police officer Mark MacPhail in Savannah, GA.
Troy has always maintained his innocence, and
there was never any physical evidence linking him
to the crime. 7 out of the 9 non-police witnesses
have since recanted or changed their testimony.
New witnesses have come forth identifying another
suspect. Yet, on March 28, the US Supreme Court
denied Troy's final appeal, clearing the way for
Georgia to set the execution date. Troy's sister,
Martina, said her mother "died of a broken heart.
I don't think my mother could have taken another execution date."

That execution date could be set any day now.
Troy's life will then be in the hands of
Georgia's Board of Pardon & Paroles, who has the power to grant Troy clemency.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

1. Sign the
<http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=jhKPIXPCIoE&b=2590179&template=x.ascx&action=12970>Amnesty
USA petition, asking the GA Board of Pardons &
Parole to grant Troy clemency, and forward it to others.

2. Collect signatures on
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/troy-davis-finality-over-fairness/page.do?id=1011343>a
download-able version of the petition.

3. If you are a lawyer or a legal professional:
add your name to the
<http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/site/c.jhKPIXPCIoE/b.6696673/k.602/Legal_Professionals_Troy_Davis_needs_you/apps/ka/ct/contactus.asp?c=jhKPIXPCIoE&b=6696673&en=6pJBKLMnF5LKKVOqG4JGJXOHLjLOKZOCJmJMLWPIJtE>legal
professional sign-on letter

4. If you are a member of the clergy: add your
name to the
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1576/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5928>clergy
sign-on letter.

5. If you have contacts with legal professionals
or members of the clergy, forward them the
sign-on letters and urge them to sign.

6. If you have contacts in Georgia, urge them to
sign the petition or, sign-on letters (if they
are legal professionals or members of the
clergy.) It is important that the Board know that
this issue matter to folks around the country and
around the world--but especially that it matters to folks in Georgia.

7. 1 million Tweets for Troy!
If you are Twitter user than please consider tweeting for Troy.
Some sample tweets include:
When in doubt, don't execute!! Sign the petition
for #TroyDavis! www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition
Too much doubt! Stop the execution! #TroyDavis
needs us! www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition
No room for doubt! Stop the execution of
#TroyDavis . Retweet, sign petition www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition
Case not "ironclad", yet Georgiacould execute
#TroyDavis ! Not on our watch! Petition: www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition
No murder weapon. No physical evidence. Stop the
execution! #TroyDavis petition: www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition
7 out of 9 eyewitnesses recanted. No physical
evidence. Stop the execution of #TroyDavis www.tinyurl.com/troyepetition

Troy's case is deeply personal to me. Troy is a
friend of mine. I have corresponded with Troy for
the last four years, visited him twice in prison,
and
<http://www.thenation.com/article/154585/troy-davis-innocence-claim-denied>written
about his case. I have gotten to know and become
close to his incredible family, and witnessed
first-hand their struggle to bring justice to Troy.

But even if Troy was not my friend, even if I did
not know the Davis family--Troy's case should
still be deeply personal to me, deeply personal
to all of us. As Laura Moye (the Amnesty USA
death penalty abolition coordinator) and I were
gathering petition signatures in Savannah last
week among union-member day laborers, a young man
called out emotionally, "Troy could be your
brother, your son! This could be any of us!"

Put another way (as the T-shirt in support of Troy states) "I am Troy Davis."

I hope you will take the time to
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/troy-davis-finality-over-fairness/page.do?id=1011343>learn
more about Troy's case. Thank you in advance for
doing all you can to prevent Troy's execution. As
the young man in the union hall reminded me, Troy is all of us.

Jen Marlowe is an award-winning documentary
filmmaker, author, playwright, human rights
advocate, and founder of donkeysaddle projects.
Her new book,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568584482/counterpunchmaga>The
Hour of Sunlight: One Palestinian's Journey from
Prisoner to Peacemaker, co-written with and about
Palestinian peace activist Sami Al Jundi, has
just been published by Nation Books. Her previous
book was
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560259280/counterpunchmaga>Darfur
Diaries: Stories of Survival. Her email address
is: <mailto:jenmarlowe at hotmail.com>jenmarlowe at hotmail.com
In 1991, Troy Davis was convicted of murdering a
white police officer. Though there's major
evidence that Davis didn't commit the crime,
Georgia is prepared to put him to death. We have
a good chance of stopping this -- but only if we speak up now.

The fact is, no physical evidence connected Davis
to the murder. Seven of the original nine
witnesses have recanted, with many saying their
testimony was a result of law enforcement
pressure. Of the remaining witnesses, one is
highly suspect and the other could be the actual
culprit in the officer's murder.

Now, despite these and other facts, the state of
Georgia has taken the first steps toward Davis'
execution -- and only the Georgia Board of
Pardons and Parole stands between Davis and the lethal injection chamber.

Georgia may be about to kill an innocent man.
That's not justice. Please ask the Georgia Parole
Board to spare Troy Davis' life, before it's too
late -- and it's critical that you ask others to do the same:

<http://act.colorofchange.org/go/807?akid=1957.225565.qQSXmF&t=3>http://act.colorofchange.org/sign/troy/

Since Troy Davis' 1991 conviction, numerous facts
have emerged that introduce significant doubt as
to his guilt. These facts include:
    * All but two of the original witnesses
against Troy Davis have signed affidavits
recanting their earlier testimony. Most claim
that their testimony was coerced by police officers.1
    * Multiple witnesses say that another man --
one of the original witnesses against Davis --
has claimed to have slain the fallen officer.2
    * The weapon used in the murder was never
found. The only physical evidence connecting
Davis to the crime was indirect, circumstantial
-- and new testimony disputes Davis's connection to that evidence.3
In light of this evidence, the Supreme Court
granted Davis another chance. But instead of an
actual new trial before a jury, which would mean
the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt is
on the prosecutor, he got an evidentiary hearing
before a single federal judge where Davis'
lawyers had the burden to meet an impossibly high and undefined legal standard.

In light of this, it was sad -- but no surprise
-- when the judge rejected the new evidence and
cleared the way for Davis' execution. However,
even he acknowledged lingering doubt, noting that
the case against Davis was not "ironclad."

But "ironclad" is exactly what the evidence
should be in order to put someone to death. If
the Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole doesn't
act to stop Davis' execution, they'll run a
serious risk of putting an innocent man to death. That is not acceptable.

Please join us, along with our partners at
Amnesty International and the NAACP, in asking
the Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole to save
Troy Davis' life by commuting his sentence to
life in prison. And when you do, please ask your
friends and family to do the same.

<http://act.colorofchange.org/go/807?akid=1957.225565.qQSXmF&t=4>http://act.colorofchange.org/sign/troy/

Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Matt, Natasha
and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
    April 20th, 2011