[Ppnews] Omaha Two story: (Part 28) - Omaha Two convicted in Cointelpro trial 40 years ago

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Apr 17 20:59:51 EDT 2011

<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/omaha-two-convicted-cointelpro-tainted-trial-40-years-ago-nebraska>http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/omaha-two-convicted-cointelpro-tainted-trial-40-years-ago-nebraska

Omaha Two convicted in COINTELPRO tainted trial 40 years ago in Nebraska

    * By <http://www.examiner.com/user-richardsonreports>Michael
Richardson, COINTELPRO Examiner
    * April 17th, 2011 12:15 pm ET
Omaha Two story:  April 17, 1971

After three weeks of trial and four days of deliberation, the jury of
one black` and eleven white jurors returned a guilty verdict against
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/prison-interview-with-ed-poindexter-on-cointelpro-and-the-omaha-police>Edward
Poindexter and
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/prison-interview-with-mondo-we-langa-on-cointelpro-and-omaha-two-case>Mondo
we Langa, then David Rice, for the August 17, 1970 bombing murder of
Omaha police officer
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/omaha-patrolman-larry-minard-killed-ambush-bombing-after-911-call>Larry
Minard, Sr.

The two men were leaders of Omaha's affiliate chapter of the Black
Panther Party known as the National Committee to Combat
Fascism.  Unknown to the jury, Mondo and Poindexter were personal
targets of
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/fbi-s-director-hoover-let-killer-of-omaha-policeman-get-away-with-murder-40-years-ago>J.
Edgar Hoover, the director of the Federal Bureau of
Investigation.  As part of his clandestine
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/crimes-of-cointelpro-heard-at-northeastern-law-school-seminar>COINTELPRO
operation against the Black Panthers, Hoover had ordered the
withholding of evidence from the FBI crime laboratory on the identity
of Minard's killer.

After
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/j-edgar-hoover-gave-order-to-let-policeman-s-killer-get-away-with-murder>Hoover's
order to cancel a lab report on the recording of the 911 caller that
lured Minard and seven other officers to the deadly trap in a vacant
house, the Douglas County jury never got to hear the voice of
Minard's killer captured on the newly installed 911 phone system.

After 25 hours of deliberations the verdict was returned on Saturday
when the courthouse was locked up.  On short notice, District Judge
Donald Hamilton reconvened court to the smallest audience of the
entire trial, composed primarily of court personnel with few outside
spectators.

The Omaha World-Herald was tipped off by a sheriff's deputy and was
on hand to report the scene:

"The press, barred from the Courthouse Saturday on orders from
Sheriff Theodore Janing, was notified through telephone calls by
deputies to individual reporters.  The door of the Courthouse never
was opened to the public.  Spectators had to sign in to enter the
building and only a few of them--mostly persons connected with the
government or the courts--were in the fifth floor courtroom when the
jurors entered about noon."

Judge Hamilton asked the jury if a verdict had been reached and was
told a decision had been made.  The verdict was handed to a court
clerk to read out loud.

Mondo we Langa was brightly dressed in a yellow shirt and green
pants.  Mondo sat quietly without expression.

Ed Poindexter was wearing blue denim clothes and looked straight ahead.

"Guilty" was the verdict, first for Poindexter and then for
Mondo.  The jury spared their lives and did not opt for execution in
Nebraska's electric chair.

Defense attorneys Thomas Kenney and David Herzog asked that each
juror acknowledge the decision.  All jurors did although most spoke
very quietly in the near empty courtroom.

Judge Hamilton ordered the two Black Panthers taken to the Nebraska
State Penitentiary to serve their sentences "at hard labor."

The jury foreman, Myron J. Widger, Jr. from Millard, was asked by the
Omaha World-Herald what took the jury so long.  "There were a lot of
little things," Widger stated.

Widger said the nine women and three men on the jury agreed they
would not discuss details of their deliberations.

Several theories circulated as to the reason for life sentences
rather than execution as sought by the prosecutors.  One theory
attributed the life sentences to Public Defender Frank
<http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/closing-arguments-larry-minard-case-put-american-system-of-justice-on-trial>Morrison's
eloquent closing argument.  Another theory was that the lone black
juror insisted on life sentences or would not agree to a unanimous
verdict.  A third theory was simply that there was doubt in the jury,
despite the verdict, about the involvement of the two Black Panther
leaders in the crime.

Judge Hamilton gave the Omaha World Herald a post-trial interview and
said the trial was "in some ways anticlimactic" after his ruling that
evidence seized from a search of Mondo's house could be admitted.

Poindexter cursed when he was asked if he wished to be interviewed
and he was led to jail in handcuffs without making a statement.

Mondo told an impromptu courthouse news conference on Saturday after
the verdict, the prosecution "systematically excluded" young persons
and minority groups from the jury and that he did not get a fair trial.

"I'm not going down to the state pen and say everything is
beautiful.  I'm going to fight it and I'm going to go back onto the
streets and do the same things, speaking out against the evils of the
system which got me convicted,' declared Mondo we Langa.  "I will
continue to organize people to bring about a reconstruction of the
government of the United States."

Mondo said the case against him was a "maze of conjectures."  Mondo
criticized the Omaha World Herald and also local radio and TV
stations for leaning "towards the prosecution" during the trial.  The
newspaper coverage was the "most ridiculous".

Not covered by any media was the secret manipulation of the trial by
J. Edgar Hoover who had kept evidence from the jury--the voice of
Larry Minard's killer.

Within an hour of the reading of the verdict, Ed Poindexter and Mondo
we Langa were transported to the maximum-security state prison in
Lincoln.   Four decades later, both men remain imprisoned and
continue to deny any involvement in Minard's death.

To view all of the Omaha Two story articles click
<http://www.examiner.com/omaha-two-story-in-national>HERE

Permission granted to reprint

Michael Richardson
COINTELPRO Examiner