[Ppnews] Prison interview with Ed Poindexter on COINTELPRO and the Omaha Police

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 28 13:09:49 EDT 2010

Prison interview with Ed Poindexter on COINTELPRO and the Omaha Police

October 28th, 2010 12:41 pm ET
by <http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/michael-richardson>

Michael Richardson

http://www.examiner.com/cointelpro-in-national/prison-interview-with-ed-poindexter-on-cointelpro-and-the-omaha-police

Ed Poindexter is serving a life sentence at the Nebraska State
Penitentiary for the 1970 murder off an Omaha
policeman.  Poindexter's co-defendant, Mondo we Langa (formerly David
Rice) has also been imprisoned 40 years.  Both me were leaders of the
Black Panthers in Omaha and targets of the clandestine Operation
COINTELPRO and deny any involvement in the killing.

Federal Bureau of Investigation director J. Edgar Hoover conducted a
massive, illegal and secret war on domestic political activists
codenamed COINTELPRO that targeted thousands of groups and
individuals around the nation for years.  Hoover went after the Black
Panthers with lethal ferocity.

Hoover had been pressuring the Omaha FBI office to get the Panther
leadership off the streets for nearly a year before the August 1970
bombing death of Larry Minard.  Poindexter had been targeted for
harassment and had been the victim of a slanderous anonymous phone
call campaign by FBI agents, the target of anonymous letters, and
constant surveillance before the death off Minard gave Hoover his
chance to pin the crime on the two Panthers.

Hoover ordered the withholding of evidence, a FBI crime lab report on
the identity o the 911 caller that lured Minard to his death, and the
jury that convicted Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa never got to
hear the voice of the killer nor did they know anything about the
COINTELRO crimes committed by the FBI agents.

Ed Poindexter tells what it was like as a COINTELPRO target.

"Part of the COINTELPRO project was to harass party members around
the clock, seven days a week.  Never let up, try to break us or cause
us to snap or drop out under the pressure, or start shooting at them
to give them a reason to shoot at us.  But they didn't need a reason
because there were forty-some members killed nationwide."

"At no time not a single day went by that the police didn't threaten
to kill us.  I can remember always keeping in the back of my mind be
careful about what you eat, what you drink, who prepares it.  Fred
Hampton was drugged.  Where I spent the nights to lay my head and
sleep, I would be careful not to be at the same place every night, to
be so predictable that they could pull that same stunt on me."

"What I did was establish myself about a half-dozen crash pads and
every night I would sleep at a different place and every week I would
alter them around so they couldn't establish a pattern."

"One of the hottest and muggy Augusts I can recall was in 1969.  I'd
left headquarters on 24th Street but decided to vary my usual route
to my mother's house.  Since it was unusually quiet that evening in
terms of police harassment, I decided to walk north on 24th Street
instead of cutting through alley ways as usual.  As I got two blocks
away from headquarters a cop car cruised by and looked at me with
surprise.  I instantly knew there was going to be some stuff, pity
the soul caught alone on a side street with no witnesses.  What was
going to happen was they would shoot me or beat me senseless."

"About half way up the street I looked back to see the patrol car
screech around the corner in pursuit of me.  I ducked between two
houses and cut through an alley.  This left me about a half-block
from home.  Out of immediate sight, I heard the patrol car halt, the
door open and slam shut, and the familiar but frightening sound of a
riot pump shotgun lock and load."

"I waited for the cops to pass.  Moments later the patrol car cruised
slowly past the house with its search light passing over the hedges
and house.  That was the longest ten seconds of my entire life."

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6du9MHBVRBM>YouTube video prison
interview with Ed Poindexter

Permission granted to reprint

Write:  Ed Poindexter, #27-767, P.O. Box 2500, Lincoln, NE  68542