[Ppnews] Gitmo's Indelible Stain

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 28 13:03:32 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/ross10282010.html

October 28, 2010

The Ordeal of Murat Kurnaz

Gitmo's Indelible Stain

By SHERWOOD ROSS

Although U.S. officials have attributed the
torture of Muslim prisoners in their custody to a
handful of maverick guards, in fact such criminal
acts were widely perpetrated and systemic, likely
involving large numbers of military personnel, a
book by a survivor suggests. Additionally, guards
were responsible for countless acts of murder,
including death by crucifixion, lynching,
poisoning, snakebite, withholding of medicines,
starvation, and bludgeoning of innocent victims.
And the murders committed by U.S. troops numbered
at least in the hundreds, according to reliable sources.

As well, Pentagon architects designed prisons
that were sadistic torture chambers in
themselves, barely six feet high and seven feet
wide, in which human beings were kept for months
or years at a time---spaces which, one prisoner
noted, are smaller than the legal requirements in
Germany for doghouses. Architects who knowingly
designed these hellholes may have also committed crimes against humanity.

After the photographs of sadism at Iraq’s Abu
Ghraib in May, 2004, shocked the world, President
Bush called the revelations “a stain on our
country’s honor and our country’s reputation.” He
told visiting King Abdullah of Jordan in the Oval
Office that “I was sorry for the humiliation
suffered by the Iraqi prisoners, and the
humiliation suffered by their families.” Bush
told The Washington Post, “I told him (Abdullah)
I was equally sorry that people who have been
seeing those pictures didn’t understand the true
nature and heart of America.” A year later,
Lynddie England and 10 others from the 372nd
Military Police Company were convicted of torture
at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad, Iraq, yet the
events of that prison were likely duplicated
everywhere across the spectrum of Pentagon and
CIA detention camps acting on orders from the Bush White House.

Although President Bush made the Abu Ghraib
revelations sound like nothing worse than
“humiliation” in fact, the Abu Ghraib photos gave
the world a glimpse into far greater crimes of
every sordid type---and reports compiled from
other sources indicated that to be captured by
the Americans was a veritable descent into hell.

While the President’s words sounded as if they
came from an innocent bystander, this was the
same man who claimed two years earlier the Geneva
Conventions did not apply in the countries the
U.S. had invaded; they were uttered by the man
who, with his Vice PresIdent Dick Cheney, is
primarily responsible for the entire venomous
persecution of thousands of innocent men, women,
and even children. While a handful of guards such
as Ms. England---notorious for her “thumbs up”
photo observing a human pyramid of naked
prisoners, were convicted and jailed---the many
other hundreds or thousands of military guards,
interrogators, and doctors and dentists also
involved in the widespread tortures have never
been prosecuted for their crimes.

It should be kept in mind that no impartial legal
system was in place to defend the rights of the
accused, so that their torturers could break laws
without fear of reprisal. As Jane Mayer wrote in
“The Dark Side”(Anchor), “Seven years after the
attacks of September 11, not a single terror
suspect held outside of the U.S. criminal court
system has been tried. Of the 759 detainees
acknowledged to have been held in Guantanamo,
approximately 340 remained there, only a handful
of whom had been charged. Among these, not a
single ‘enemy combatant’ had yet had the
opportunity to cross-examine the government or
see the evidence on which he was being held.
Thus, since none had been brought to trial, all
the tortures inflicted were on captives who must
be presumed innocent. One book, by a man who
survived the nightmare of captivity where so many
others perished, gives the lie to the notion that
abuses were carried out by a few vicious guards.
Everywhere he went he was beaten and he saw other
prisoners also beaten by many different teams of
sadistic guards. The conviction of Ms. England
and her companions, therefore, does not begin to serve the cause of justice.

According to Murat Kurnaz, a 19-year-old Turkish
citizen raised in Germany and falsely defamed as
“the German Taliban,” torture at the several
prisons in which he was held was frequent,
commonplace, and committed by many guards. In his
book,
“<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0230614418/counterpunchmaga>Five
Years of My Life: An Innocent Man in
Guantanamo”(Palgrave Macmillan), beatings began
in 2001 on the flight from Pakistan (where he was
pulled off a public bus and sold by Pakistani
police for $3,000) to his first imprisonment in Afghanistan.

“I couldn’t see how many soldiers there were, but
to judge from the confusion of voices it must
have been a lot. They went from one prisoner to
the next, hitting us with their fists, their
billy clubs, and the butts of their rifles.” This
was done to men that were manacled to the floor
of the plane. “It was as cold as a refrigerator;
I was sitting on bare metal and icy air was
coming from a vent or a fan. I tried to go to
sleep, but they kept hitting me and waking
me
they never tired of beating us, laughing all the while.”

On another occasion, Kurnaz counted seven guards
who were beating a prisoner with the butts of
their rifles and kicking him with their boots
until he died. At one point, Kurnaz was hung by
chains with his arms behind his back for five
days. “Today I know that a lot of inmates died
from treatment like this.” When he was finally
taken down and needed water “they’d just pour the
water over my head and laugh.” The guards even
tortured a blind man who was older than 90 “the
same way the rest of us were,” Kurnaz wrote.

At Camp X-Ray, Guantanamo, Cuba, Kurnaz said,
“During the day, we had to remain seated and at
night we had to lie down. If you lay down during
the day you were punished
We weren’t allowed to
talk. We weren’t to speak to or look at the
guards. We weren’t allowed to draw in the sand or
whistle or sing or smile. Every time I
unknowingly broke a rule, or because they had
just invented a new one
an IRF (Immediate
Reaction Force) team would come and beat me.”
Once when he was weak from a hunger strike,
Kurnaz wrote, “I was beaten on a stretcher.”
During his earlier imprisonment at Kandahar,
Pakistan, Kurnaz writes, “There were weaker,
older men in the pen. Men with broken feet, men
whose legs and arms were fractured or had turned
blue, red, or yellow from pus. There were
prisoners with broken jaws, fingers and noses,
and with terribly swollen faces like mine.” Not
only were the wounds of such men ignored by
guards but complicit doctors would examine him
and other prisoners during tortures and advise
guards as to how much more they could stand
before they died. On one occasion, he saw guards
beating a prisoner with no legs.

Still worse, Kurnaz said doctors participated in
the tortures. A dentist asked to pull out a
prisoner’s rotten tooth pulled out all his
healthy ones as well. Another prisoner who went
to the doctor to treat one finger with severe
frostbite had all his other fingers amputated. “I
saw open wounds that weren’t treated. A lot of
people had been beaten so often they had broken
legs, arms and feet. The fractures, too, remained
untreated,” Kurnaz wrote. “I never saw anyone in
a cast.” Prisoners were deliberately weakened by
starvation diets. Meals at Guantanamo consisted
of “three spoonfuls of rice, a slice of dry
bread, and a plastic spoon. That was it.”
Sometimes a loaf of bread was tossed over a fence into their compound.

Prisoners who should have been in hospital beds
instead were confined to cells purposefully
designed to torture them. Kurnaz described his
experience this way: “Those cells were like
ovens. The sun beat down on the metal roof at
noon and directly on the sides of the cage in the
mornings and afternoons. All told, I think I
spent roughly a year alone in absolute darkness,
either in a cooler or an oven, with little food,
and once I spent three months straight in
solitary confinement.” Prisoners could be put in
solitary confinement for the tiniest infractions
of the most ridiculous rules, such as not folding
a blanket properly. “I was always being punished
and humiliated, regardless of what I did,” Kurnaz
said. Once, he was put in solitary for ten days
for feeding breadcrumbs to an iguana that had crawled into his cage.

Besides regular beatings from IRF, who commonly
entered cells with clubs swinging, Kurnaz
received excruciating electroshocks to his feet
and was waterboarded in a 20-inch diameter
plastic bucket filled with water. He describes
the experience as follows: “Someone grabbed me by
the hair. The soldiers seized my arms and pushed
my head underwater.
Drowning is a horrible way
to die. They pulled my head back up. “Do you like
it? You want more?” When my head was back
underwater, I felt a blow to my stomach
. “Where
is Osama? “Who are you?” I tried to speak but I
couldn’t. I swallowed some water
.It became
harder and harder to breath, the more they hit me
in the stomach and pushed my head underwater. I
felt my heart racing. They didn’t let up
imagined myself screaming underwater
I would have
told them everything. But what was I supposed to
tell them?”It should be noted that U.S. and
German authorities had decided as early as 2002
that Kurnaz was innocent---that he really was a
student of the Koran in Pakistan when he had been
seized by bounty hunters and sold to the
Americans as a “terrorist." Yet they continued
the tortures for years knowing all along of his innocence.

On yet other occasions, Kurnaz, like so many
other prisoners, was hung from chains backwards
so that “it felt as though my shoulders were
going to break. “I was hoisted up until my feet
no longer touched the ground
.After a while, the
cuffs seemed like they were cutting my wrists
down to the bone. My shoulders felt like someone
was trying to pull my arms out of their
sockets
When they hung me up backwards, it felt
as though my shoulders were going to break
I was
strung up for five days
Three times a day
soldiers came in and let me down (and)a doctor
examined me and took my pulse. ‘Okay,’ he said.
The soldiers hoisted me back up. I lost all
feeling in my arms and hands. I still felt pain
in other parts of my body, like in my chest
around my heart
” A short distance away Kurnaz
could see another man hanging from chains--dead.

To compound the inmates’ misery, Guantanamo
guards would trample an imate’s Koran, the sacred
book of the Muslims. While U.S. authorities
denied that Korans had been thrown in toilets,
those denials are worth little considering that
when the evening call to prayer was sounded,
Kurnez said, the caller’s voice “was drowned out
by loud music. It was the American national
anthem.” One boorish guard specialized in kicking
at prisoners' cell doors when they attempted to pray.

When Kurnaz was transferred within the Guantanamo
prison system to “Camp 1” he was put in a maximum
security cage inside a giant container with metal
walls. “Although the cage was no smaller than the
one in CampX-Ray, the bunk reduced the amount of
free space to around three-and-a-half feet by
three-and-a-half feet. At the far end of the
cage, an aluminum toilet and a sink took up even
more room. How was I going to stand this?
hardly saw the sun at all. They had perfected
their prison..It felt like being sealed alive in a ship container.”

Although U.S. politicians and ultra-right radio
talk show hosts ridiculed the use of sleep
deprivation against prisoners, this was, in fact,
an insidious practice used earlier in Bolshevik
Russia to torture known as “the conveyor belt.”
In 2002, Kurnaz writes, when General Geoffrey
Miller took over command of Guantanamo, “The
interrogations got more brutal, more frequent,
and longer.” Miller commenced “Operation
Sandman,” in which prisoners were moved to new
cells every hour or two “to completely deprive us
of sleep, and he achieved it.” Kurnaz says, “I
had to stand and kneel twenty-four hours a day,”
often in chains, and “I had barely arrived in a
new cell and lay down on the bunk, before they
came again to move me.
As soon as the guards saw
me close my eyes
they’d kick at the door or punch
me in the face.” In between transfers, “I was
interrogated
I estimated the sessions lasted up
to fifteen hours” during which the interrogator
might disappear for hours at a time. “I sat
chained to my chair or kneeling on the floor, and
as soon as my eyelids drooped, soldiers would
wake me with a couple of blows
Days and nights
without sleep. Blows and new cages. Again, the
stabbing sensation of thousands of needles
throughout my entire body. I would have loved to
step outside my body, but I couldn’t
I went three
weeks without sleep
.the soldiers came at night
and made us stand for hours on end at gunpoint.
At this point, I weighed less than 130 pounds.”
Kurnaz was released to Germany in August, 2006,
and testified by videolink in 2008 to the U.S.
Congress. During his five years of confinement,
he was never charged with a crime.

And so it happened that, during the presidency of
George W. Bush, tens of thousands of innocent
human beings, Kurnaz among them, were swept up in
dragnet arrests by the invading American forces
or their allies and imprisoned without legal
recourse---the very opposite of what America's
Founders gifted to humanity in their
Constitution. None of the prisoners ever saw a
real judge or jury. Torture among them was
widespread. As for President Barack Obama, sworn
to uphold a Constitution that does not permit
torture, his failure to act forthrightly and, in
particular, to ignore crimes by the CIA, an
agency for which he once worked, would appear to
make him guilty of subversion of that founding
charter which he is legally obliged to honor. As
for not taking action against the countless
Pentagon operatives who tortured---including
doctors and dentists and surgeons, etc.---Obama’s
inaction will permit these sadists to be returned
one day to practice among the general civilian
population. Think about that. Think, too, about
the stain on the American flag that may never be washed clean.

Sherwood Ross is a Florida-based media consultant
and director of the Anti-War News Service. To
comment or contribute to his work contact him at
<mailto:sherwoodross10 at gmail.com>sherwoodross10 at gmail.com.