[Ppnews] John Ashcroft's immunity defended by Obama

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 27 10:21:37 EDT 2010

JOHN ASHCROFT’S IMMUNITY AND THE U.S. LEGAL SYSTEM – DR. LAWRENCE DAVIDSON

26. Oct, 2010
http://www.intifada-palestine.com/2010/10/john-ashcroft%E2%80%99s-immunity-and-the-u-s-legal-system-dr-lawrence-davidson/print/
by Dr. Lawrence Davidson

Court Rules Ashcroft Can Be Held Liable For U.S. Citizen’s Post 9/11 Detention

The Situation

One of the cases the Supreme Court of the United
States will take up in its 2011 session is
<http://www.acslaw.org/taxonomy/term/254>Ashcroft
vs. al-Kidd. John Ashcroft was the Attorney
General under President George Bush Jr. In that
capacity he appears to have knowingly violated
the U.S. Constitution (as well as periodically
forced his employees to listen to his horrendous
singing voice). Abdullah al-Kidd is a Muslim
American citizen who Ashcroft illegally ordered
detained through the illicit use of a material
witness warrant. Kidd was one of 70 detained in
this manner. He was picked up at Dulles
International Airport after the FBI lied to a
judge in order to get the warrant for his
seizure. Al-Kidd was subsequently held for long
periods in a security cell where the lights never went out.

That John Ashcroft is the criminal and al-Kidd
his victim is certain. That is how the Ninth
Circuit Court of Appeals sees it. That court has
refused to dismiss al-Kidd’s lawsuit against
Ashcroft noting that the former Attorney General
can be held personally responsible for action
<http://www.acslaw.org/taxonomy/term/2277>“repugnant
to the Constitution.” That he knowingly and
criminally acted to “arrest and detain American
citizens for months on end, in sometimes
primitive conditions, not because they have
committed a crime, but merely because the
government wants to investigate them for possible
wrongdoing.” Ashcroft’s lawyers avoid the
question of the illegality of his actions and
simply say that he is immune from lawsuits for
actions he took as Attorney General. On that
basis they have asked the Supreme Court to
dismiss the suit. The Justices have now decided to consider Ashcroft’s request.

Certainly John Ashcroft is not the first high
U.S. official to reveal himself as an alleged
criminal. Nor is it the first time that high
government officials have acted in an
unconstitutional manner. Right out of the
starting gate , so to speak, the young United
States created the Alien and Sedition Acts (1798)
through which the Federalist party sought, quite
unconstitutionally, to jail its political
opponents. Andrew Jackson spit in the eye of both
the Supreme Court and the Constitution by
evicting the Cherokee Indians (1838), James Polk
should have been impeached for high crimes and
misdemeanors for lying to the Congress in order
to start the Mexican-American War (1846), Abraham
Lincoln probably violated the Constitution by
some of his police actions during the Civil War,
the raids and deportations that took place as a
result of the Red Scares of the 1920s were at
least in part unconstitutional, then you have
Watergate, Irangate and now multiple potential
Bushgates. Few of the politicians who ordered
these criminal actions, or those who carried out
those orders, ever faced punishment. [NOT TO SPEAK OF COINTELPRO]

The Position of the Obama Administration

What is interesting about the present case of
Ashcroft vs. al-Kidd is that the Obama
administration has decided to make illegality
acceptable by institutionalizing the concept of
immunity for highly placed men like Ashcroft. The
administration will try to do this not through
legislation, but through precedent– by defending
Ashcroft’s claim to immunity before the Supreme
Court. At first it seems strange that a professed
liberal president such as Barack Obama would do
this. But unfortunately, it is quite consistent
with the illiberal stance he has maintained on
the question of the constitutional responsibility
of his predecessors in the Bush White House. From
the beginning of his presidency, Obama decided to
shield them from the consequences of their
crimes. This position was initiated by the
president’s<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/us/politics/12inquire.html>
“we should look forward” statement in January of
2009. In this statement he made it clear that he
did not want to pursue those who had ordered or
implemented (in this case) torture under the Bush
administration. When popular pressure forced the
president to allow his attorney
general<http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/crime/1727-holder-appoints-torture-prosecutor-rejects-nuremberg-principle>,
Eric Holder, to open an investigation of the
issue of torture it was arranged so the inquiry
would have no teeth. Publically and up front we
were told that no one would be prosecuted
whatever the outcome of the probe. That is the
last anyone has heard of Holder’s investigation
of torture American style. The long and short of
this is that the principle set down at Nuremberg,
to wit following orders is no excuse for criminal
behavior, will not be applied. Nor will giving
the orders incur a penalty. The decision to
defend Ashcroft’s claim of immunity is in solid accord with this position.

The logic of this position, and its likely
consequences, warrants close examination. If we
were to ask President Obama why he has decided to
defend the immunity of alleged criminals who
happen to be high government officials, and if he
were to be perfectly candid in his reply, here is what he might say:

1. President Obama – It would be difficult for
the president, or those who carry out his orders,
to act freely and as needed if they had always to
worry about litigation after the fact. This is
particularly true in time of war and emergency.

My Reply – This assertion has been made by
leaders of states from time immemorial. It is a
variation on the raison d’etat argument that has
historically allowed all manner of bad behavior
under the guise of state interests. On the other
hand, it is true that following the law can prove
inconvenient under wartime or emergency
conditions. Nonetheless, in the long run,
lawlessness is much worse than inconvenience. It
is to be noted that, in the American case,
appointed and elected high officials
(particularly attorney generals!) are sworn to
uphold the law not to transgress it.

2. President Obama – While I have stopped the
more egregious policies of the Bush
administration, I am still responsible for the
safety of all American citizens and, in our
modern age, I have to be able to use all the
methods, high tech and otherwise, to achieve this
goal. Some of these methods might very well prove
unconstitutional (warrantless wiretaps, for
instance) and yet I must be free to use them
because another 9/11 style attack must be
prevented. And, if I am to use these methods,
then I can not prosecute those who have done so
before me. Otherwise I would be accused of being
a hypocrite by my political foes.

My Reply – This argument juxtaposes unattainable
100% security against the traditional freedoms
that makes America the country its founders
intended. Do we want to sacrifice the latter for
the illusion of the former? As James Madison once
observed, “The means of defense against foreign
danger historically have become instruments of
tyranny at home.” That is the slippery slope
President Obama seems willing to take us down. It
also prioritizes the president’s political
interests over the Constitution. This latter
point of view can be carried further.

3. President Obama – You have to understand, that
if I do not do all that is possible, be it
constitutional or otherwise, to protect the
nation I put myself in mortal political danger. I
open myself to the accusation by my political
rivals that I am “soft” on security or terrorism.
And, if something does happen, such as another
terrorist attack, then I am politically dead.

My Reply – Well, yes, this is so. However, what
is also true is that prioritizing politics above
law always leads us in the direction of
corruption, or worse. By defending Ashcroft isn’t
President Obama saying it is all right to break
the law if you are highly placed and so lacking
in imagination that you can not figure out a
legal way of dealing with an emergency? For let
us be clear, there is no evidence that after 9/11
the unconstitutional route was the only possible
route to defend the country. Were the legal
options and their constitutional variants ever
seriously itemized and discussed? The Obama
administration, like the Bush operatives, have
never publically addressed this question.

Likely Consequences

If the Obama Justice Department proceeds with its
plans to defend Ashcroft’s immunity claim and if,
as is likely, the Supreme Court upholds that
claim, we will be left with a politically based
two tier legal system. It will set free to break
the law every highly placed federal official
every time he or she can claim an emergency
situation. Then, after the fact, they will cite
the immunity precedent. In the meantime, the fact
that high federal officials are sworn to uphold
the laws of the land will be rendered worthless,
just another bit of political hypocrisy.

So what is it that we want for America? Do we
want a two tier legal system where presidents and
their appointees can break the law with impunity?
Do we want a legal system where it is accepted
that citizens and residents can disappear into
federal dungeons? Is it all right with us that
our fellow citizens, following the orders of the
president, will torture, detain, shackle and
otherwise abuse others without any regard for law
– and they too will be immune? Because, whether
they realize it or not, that is what the Obama
Justice Department is arguing for when it defends John Ashcroft.

Dwight Eisenhower once asked the question, “how
far can go without destroying from within what
you are trying to defend from without?” It is
time for us to ask this question about the
heinous “security” tactics of President George
Bush Jr. as well as President Barack Obama’s
unfortunate willingness to defend them.

Lawrence Davidson
Department of History
West Chester University