[Ppnews] "Justice" Department clears FBI in imam shooting - Rights groups dismiss probe of Iman’s death

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 13 18:34:50 EDT 2010

2 articles follow

Justice Department clears FBI in imam shooting

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101013/METRO/10130420/Justice-Department-clears-FBI-in-imam-shooting

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

There were no federal crimes broken when four FBI
agents killed a Detroit mosque leader during a
raid last year, according to a U.S. Justice Department report released today.

The report comes almost two weeks after Attorney
General Mike Cox’s office issued a similar
finding, saying the agents were justified and
broke no laws in shooting Imam Luqman Ameen Abdullah.

The report comes almost one year after an Oct. 28
raid at a Dearborn warehouse that ended with
Abdullah shot 20 times by FBI agents after he
allegedly fired a weapon and killed an FBI dog.

The gunfire took place during an attempted arrest
in connection with an indictment involving stolen
goods and other alleged crimes.

Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights
Thomas E. Perez met with Abdullah’s family today to discuss the findings.

rsnell at detnews.com

 From The Detroit News:
<http://www.detnews.com/article/20101013/METRO/10130420/Justice-Department-clears-FBI-in-imam-shooting#ixzz12HCpwei5>http://www.detnews.com/article/20101013/METRO/10130420/Justice-Department-clears-FBI-in-imam-shooting#ixzz12HCpwei5
http://michigancitizen.com/rights-groups-dismiss-cox-probe-of-imans-death-p9076-1.htm

Rights groups dismiss Cox probe of Iman’s death

Cox rules death justified; U.S. Justice case remains open

By Zenobia Jeffries
Wed, 13 Oct, 2010
The Michigan Citizen

DETROIT ­ Michigan may be finished investigating
the FBI fatal shooting of Detroit Imam Luqman
Ameen Abdullah, but the federal probe continues and questions remain.

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) says it is
continuing investigation of the FBI arrest team
and its four members who shot Abudllah to death
Oct. 28, 2009, in a Dearborn warehouse during a sting operation.

Civil rights and justice activists await a real investigation.

Although the DOJ’s office declined to give the
status or details of its investigation,
spokesperson Xochiti Hinojosa sent an e-mail
response to the Michigan Citizen stating, “Our investigation is open.”

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox, in his report
released Sept. 30, concluded that the FBI agents
involved in the fatal shooting acted in
self-defense and therefore their “use of deadly
force ... was legally justified.”

The report states that Abdullah did not comply
with officers’ orders. Cox’s office will not bring charges.

Cox used the shooting agents’ testimony, along
with the FBI investigative report, Dearborn
Police Department investigative report, video and
audio tapes of the raid, the federal criminal
complaint obtained by the FBI against Abudllah
and 10 others, and meetings and interviews with
the Detroit Police Department, Wayne County
Medical Examiner and Dr. Cyril H. Wecht, an
independent pathologist who reviewed the autopsy
report at the request of the Michigan Council on
American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MI).

Both the medical examiner and Wecht determined
the cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds.

The four agents shot Abdullah a total of 21 times
­ two of the agents firing six and eight shots
respectively ­ after releasing an FBI K-9 attack dog on him.

The medical examiner’s report does not identify
the cause of Abdullah’s facial injuries.

However, Wecht determined that the lacerations
and abrasions on Abudllah’s face and hands were caused by dog bites.

Cox concluded that the injuries were not dog bites.

The Cox report states, “The Wayne County Medical
Examiner noted, during the Attorney General
interview, that Abdullah’s face is lacking
puncture wounds ­ which are typically found in
persons who have been subjected to known dog bites.” (See photo)

Phone calls by this newspaper to the medical examiner were not returned.

Cox stated one of the theories of the facial
wounds indicated the cause as“... the action of
the slide on the pistol Abdullah was firing
(extremely close to his face)...” Yet, in another
section of the report, Cox notes there was no gun
powder residue on the body, indicating there were no close range shots.

In a telephone interview with this newspaper,
Wecht called the Assistant Attorney General’s
telephone interview with him a “perfunctory pro forma.”

“The Assistant Attorney General didn’t seem to be
too interested [in what I had to say],” Wecht
said. “For Cox to say the lacerations are from a
fall ... you don’t get those kinds of [injuries]
by falling from standing on a flat surface.
“There’s no way [you] can sustain multiple
lacerations from falling down ... or sliding on a
pistol. That’s totally ridiculous. Whatever the
ultimate conclusions are, are not matters I have addressed.”

Wecht says he was skeptical of any report produced by the AG.

“I no more expected the Michigan Attorney General
to produce a critical report on the FBI than I
expect to wake up tomorrow morning with a head
full of hair on my bald head. The whole thing smells,” Wecht said.

Another theory Cox stated for the facial injuries
was “being turned over by agents to facilitate
handcuffing.” It was a reference to the fact
Abdullah was lying face down, dead, when agents
handcuffed him and then rolled him over.

The FBI did not respond to questions about handcuffing a dead man.

According to the Dearborn police investigation
cited in Cox’s report, Abdullah shot the dog
three times, the weapon “pointed in the direction” of the arresting agents.

Abdullah’s weapon had no prints on it, which Cox says is not uncommon.

“We got exactly what we expected from the
Michigan Attorney General, [that’s why] we called
for an independent investigation,” said Heaster
Wheeler, Executive Director of the Detroit Branch
NAACP. “We want the U.S. DOJ and their Civil
Rights’ department to do a full-scale
investigation ­ not a review, just looking to see
if procedure was properly followed. [This] needs to be thoroughly done.”

Wheeler, who joined CAIR-MI and a coalition of
local religious leaders and community activists
calling for a federal investigation, says the
AG’s office has never been a friend to the community of color or civil rights.

“We never get anything from the state,” Wheeler
told the M.C. “We got what we expected, which is nothing.”

Dawud Walid, Executive Director of CAIR-MI,
called the AG’s conclusions “odd,” and raised
several concerns surrounding the report.

CAIR-MI is questioning the circumstances by which
Cox’s office began the investigation (Wayne
County Prosecutor Kym Worthy’s office declined to
investigate); the excessive use of law
enforcement officers (including the FBI K-9);
shooting a human defending himself against a dog attack; and entrapment.

Walid says, by “default,” the case went to Cox’s
office because Worthy’s office declined to investigate.

Spokesperson Maria Miller said that the
Prosecutor’s office declined to investigate
because the FBI would not turn over classified information.

Walid questions the accuracy of Cox’s report.

“If Cox’s office was not given access to the
information that Worthy’s office requested to
conduct a thorough investigation, then that would
bring into question the veracity of Cox’s
results,” he wrote in a letter to Judiciary
Committee Chair Congressman John Conyers.

According to Special Agent Jason Pack at FBI
headquarters in Washington D.C., none of the information was deemed classified.

“The shooting review team inspectors here in
Washington tell me that there was no classified
information associated with the shooting investigation,” Pack told the M.C.

CAIR-MI is requesting Conyers “hold hearings on
the misuse of confidential informants in houses
of worship, religious organizations and peace
groups, if a thorough review of the FBI protocol
of using confidential informants is not conducted
by the U.S. Attorney General’s office as
requested by Conyer’s office in January.”

On Oct. 6, CAIR-MI filed a lawsuit against the
Wayne County Sheriff for its refusal to release
information relating to the fatal shooting. The
Sheriff Dept., which was part of a
multi-jurisdictional law enforcement task force
that executed a series of raids culminating in
the death of Imam Abdullah, denied Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA) requests submitted by CAIR-MI pertaining to the case.

CAIR-MI recently filed similar suits against the
Michigan State Police, Dearborn Police and
Detroit Police departments for non-release of public information.

Spokesperson for the FBI Detroit Field Office
Sandra Berchtold told this newspaper that even
though other law enforcement was involved in the
raid, only FBI agents were inside the warehouse.
All others were used on the perimeter.

(Editor’s note: We were hesitant to publish the
photo because of the desensitizing nature of
violence on Blacks. Permission was given by the
family through CAIR-MI to publish this photo to
show the discrepancy in the AG’s report.)