[Ppnews] U.S. gov’t paid media in frame-up of Cuban Five

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Oct 9 20:47:59 EDT 2010

The Militant (logo)

Vol. 74/No. 39      October 18, 2010

U.S. gov’t paid media in
frame-up of Cuban Five
Interview with lawyer on plans for defense effort
(feature article)

Below are major excerpts of an interview with
Leonard Weinglass, one of the attorneys on the
legal defense team of the Cuban Five. The
September 15 phone interview was conducted for
the English-language broadcast of Radio Havana
Cuba by Bernie Dwyer, an Irish journalist and filmmaker.

The Cuban Five­Gerardo Hernández, Antonio
Guerrero, Ramón Labañino, Fernando González, and
René González­were arrested by the U.S.
government in 1998 while living in the United
States monitoring the activities of
counterrevolutionary groups in Miami that have a
long history of armed assaults and sabotage against Cuba.

The five were convicted on trumped-up charges
ranging from failure to register as foreign
agents to “conspiracy to commit espionage.” In
addition, Hernández was falsely convicted of “conspiracy to commit murder.”

The five were refused a change in trial venue
from Miami, the center of counterrevolutionary
Cuban-American groups, where an atmosphere of
prejudice and intimidation ensured the most biased trial possible.

Hernández received a double life sentence plus 15
years. The U.S. government claimed he was
complicit in the deaths of the crews of two
planes flown by Brothers to the Rescue, one of
the right-wing groups the five had been
monitoring. The plane was shot down by the Cuban
air force on Feb. 24, 1996, after Brothers to the
Rescue had repeatedly and provocatively violated
Cuban airspace, despite numerous warnings from Havana.

Under growing international pressure, a federal
appeals court ruled in June 2008 that the
sentences for three of the five were excessive.
Labañino’s life sentence plus 18 years was
reduced to 30 years. Fernando González’s sentence
of 19 years was reduced to 17 years and 9 months.
Guerrero’s life plus 10 years sentence was
reduced to 21 years and 10 months. The court
refused to reduce Hernández’s sentence or the
15-year sentence given to René González.

*****

Leonard Weinglass: The five should have been
returned to Cuba shortly after their arrest, as
is the custom when foreigners are arrested in the
United States on missions for their home
countries and their activities here caused no harm.

There are numerous examples, most recently the
Russian agents who were sent home this year after
being held in custody for less than 30 days.
Instead they [the Cuban Five] were subjected to
cruel conditions of confinement, unjustly
prosecuted in a venue that could not afford them
a fair trial, victimized by the misconduct of
their prosecutors, and excessively and illegally
punished with life sentences
.

Following the Supreme Court’s rejection of their
appeal in 2009­despite an unprecedented
outpouring of support, including 10 Nobel prize
winners, the bar associations of many countries,
the entire Mexican Senate, two former presidents
of the European Union­we are now, in 2010, filing
what is called the collateral attack or habeas
corpus review for Gerardo on his conviction.

We filed on June 14, 2010, and will be filing a
Memorandum of Law on October 11. The government
will be given 60 days to respond and then
presumably at the end of this year or in early
2011, we will have a hearing on Gerardo’s claims
in Miami. If we lose there we go to the 11th
Circuit Court on appeal. And if we lose there, we
then, once again will ask the Supreme Court to
review the case. So we still have legal avenues to pursue.

Bernie Dwyer: Could you give more detail on what
is the basis of the ongoing legal process on behalf of Gerardo Hernández?

Weinglass: There are essentially three claims
that we are making. One is that the United States
government engaged in misconduct by paying a
certain number of high-profile reporters in Miami
to write articles of a propagandist nature
against the government of Cuba for Radio and TV
Martí, and at the same time these reporters
during the day were also writing articles and
speaking about the five in the local media. Those
articles and commentary were amongst the most
prejudicial and inflamed the hostility of that community.

The government, which has a legal obligation to
assure all accused a fair trial in a fair venue,
was actually paying reporters who were reporting
the most scurrilous material that prejudiced the
case. To anyone’s knowledge this has never
happened before. That, we argue, is a violation
of due process and we are asking the court to
overturn the conviction and to once again either
free Gerardo or remove his case to another venue to receive a fair trial.

There is even a strong argument that, if what
happened is demonstrated, Gerardo cannot be
retried, but must be freed outright since he was
wrongly put in jeopardy through government wrongdoing the first time.

The second claim is rather technical. The
government has a strict obligation to turn over
anything in its records that could have helped
Gerardo defend his case. This it did not do.
Instead, they withheld evidence that would have
demonstrated his innocence. They also withheld,
and we are making this claim, satellite imagery
which would have shown that the shoot down on
February 24, 1996, occurred in Cuban airspace and
not in international airspace. The key agency of
the United States government that maintains
satellite data has, up to now, refused to admit
or deny that they are holding such data.

Lastly we are claiming that there was a
misperception on the part of Gerardo’s attorney
about the principles of international law that
should have governed the case and a failure to
take effective measures to assure Gerardo a fair
trial. This was the first case in history where
an individual residing at the time in the United
States was charged with a so-called conspiracy
with pilots of another country’s air force who
were doing their duty in defending their
country’s airspace. Such a prosecution was
outside the realm of anything any trial lawyer in the U.S. had ever faced.

There should have been a complete and thorough
examination of the principles of international
law, which could have afforded Gerardo a
clear-cut defense to the charge of conspiracy to
commit murder. We are now providing the Court
with a 15-page declaration by an eminent
international law professor who explains in
detail precisely how the court and the defense
should have approached this unprecedented case.
Even beyond that, as Judge Kravitch found, the
government’s case failed to establish that
Gerardo had anything to do with what occurred on
that day; and under any scenario, he should have been found not guilty.

Dwyer: Let’s now move to the cases of the other
four and where they stand legally. Could we begin
with Antonio, who was serving a life sentence plus 15 years?

Weinglass: Antonio is serving a 21-year sentence
which means that he should be free to return home
in approximately seven years and maybe even
sooner. However, Antonio was also the victim, as
was Gerardo, of the fact that the government
committed misconduct by paying reporters who were
writing the most prejudicial articles against all of the five.

So Antonio has the same claims on that issue as
Gerardo and so have Ramón and Fernando. Antonio
will be filing his habeas papers in the first
week of November, making the same arguments as
well as the arguments on the wrongful withholding
of information. I assume that Ramón and Fernando will do the same.

René is so close to being released in 2011 that
it remains to be seen whether he will even have to file.

Dwyer: What would be the result if this process
is successful? Could they be freed?

Weinglass: Unfortunately, it will go to a trial
judge in Miami­the same judge who sat on the
original case. However, the interesting aspect is
it might be that, if it is found that the U.S.
government committed misconduct by paying these
reporters, the five could not be tried again
because under the doctrine of what’s called
double jeopardy, their rights were wrongfully
violated by the government in the first instance.
Since the government put them in jeopardy the
government cannot come back now and seek a second
trial. That’s an issue we will be arguing and I
personally feel that we will be successful,
assuming a finding of government misconduct.

Dwyer: And all these cases are going to take
place in the courts in Miami toward the end of this year?

Weinglass: Yes, it will either be toward the end
of this year or possibly over into next year,
2011. And it will take place in Miami initially
and if we lose there, then we will return to
Atlanta before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals,
where we have the right of appeal.

Dwyer: Do you think that the campaigns that are
being run worldwide for the release of the five are having any effect?

Weinglass: Absolutely, it should be continued and if anything increased
.