[Ppnews] Daniel McGowan - Urgent Appeal from a Secret Prison

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 21 15:02:49 EDT 2010

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-mcgowan>Daniel McGowan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-mcgowan/urgent-appeal-from-a-secr_b_584668.html
Urgent Appeal from a Secret Prison

After three years in prison and hundreds
(thousands, even) of letters mailed out, I have
gotten to the point where there is little to
write about. Prison life is remarkably static­so
unchanging in its daily routine­that news
resonates here in a pronounced way. The early
part of April brought some major announcements
that will profoundly affect my life here in the
Bureau of Prison's
<http://www.supportdaniel.org/cmu/exposing_cmu_dm.html>Communication
Management Unit (CMU). Finally, my friends will
be saved from the endless litany of letters about
what TV shows I watch, Prison drama, my workouts
and books I have read that week!

In February, after completing 18 months of "clear
conduct" here, I requested a transfer to a
"normal" prison (that is, one without punitive
restrictions on my contact with the outside
world). My request was denied on April 5th and
did not come as a major shock. The written
rejection notice did not offer a reason for my
denial; instead just informing me that I can
apply again at my next "program review." I am not
the only one who has had my transfer request
denied and who faces the paradox of being held
here without any explanation why. Despite twenty
months of "clear conduct" (the BoP term for no
disciplinary sanctions) and participation in
classes, I am still being held here at the government's discretion.

On March 30th, the
<http://www.ccrjustice.org/cmu>Center for
Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed suit on my
behalf against the BoP regarding this unit (Aref
v. Holder, D.C. Circuit). The suit raises a
number of substantial constitutional claims and
violations of federal law. Also included in the
suit are fellow prisoners at this CMU, the other
CMU at Terre Haute, my wife Jenny and another
prisoner's wife. The suit is asking for
injunctive relief--that the court intervene and
fix these constitutional violations. While this
is a positive step in addressing the massive
problems with the concept of the Communication
Management Unit, the journey through the courts
is a slow and somewhat tedious affair.

Just one week after the lawsuit was filed, the
Bureau of Prisons released proposed rules for the
CMU, opening a 60-day comment period for the
public
(<http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#documentDetail?R=0900006480ad11c7>BoP
Docket # 1148-P, Communication Management Units).
The unfortunate part of this proposal is that
they represent a huge reduction in communication
for prisoners. The new rules would set the following standards:

1) Only one phone call per month (to immediate family).
2) Only one hour, non-contact, visit per month (with immediate family).
3) Only one, 3 page letter, to and from a single recipient per week.

These rules are remarkable and fly in the face of
the BoP's supposed ideas on the positive aspects
of communication between prisoners and their
community, family members and friends. The
proposed rules are far worse than the current
conditions, and current conditions are bad
enough. I can assure you that attempting to
maintain healthy, close relationships on 2 phone
calls a week and 8 hours of non-contact visits a
month is exceedingly difficult and expensive. (My
family lives 1,100 miles from this prison
creating bills of $600+ for a two day trip). The
irony is that most of the men in this unit do not
even have communication violations so why the
reason for the new rules? Normally, a government
agency (such as the BoP) proposes rules before
implementing a policy. In this case, the CMU has
been in operations for nearly three years. Not
only is that an obvious violation of federal law
but the proposed rules have an air of mean-spiritedness and retribution.

You can submit public comment on these proposed
rules easily online at
<http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#documentDetail?R=0900006480ad11c7>www.regulations.gov
or by reading the rules online and sending your comments to:

Rules Unit, Office of General Counsel
Bureau of Prisons
320 First Street, NW.
Washington, DC 20534

Please be cordial and to the point with your
comments. If you need help or talking points for
your comments, do not hesitate to contact the organizations below.
Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR)
<http://www.ccrjustice.org>www.ccrjustice.org, 212-614-6480.
Family & Friends of Daniel McGowan
<http://www.supportdaniel.org/cmu>www.supportdaniel.org/cmu