[Ppnews] The Forgotten MOVE Victims - a tale of 2 bullets and one blaze

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 20 16:18:47 EDT 2010

FROM BROAD STREET REVIEW:
<http://www.broadstreetreview.com/index.php/main/article/the_forgotten_move_victims/>http://www.broadstreetreview.com/index.php/main/article/the_forgotten_move_victims/

THE FORGOTTEN MOVE VICTIMS

BY: Robert Zaller
05.15.2010

Twenty-five years after the Osage Avenue bombing
and more than 30 years after the Powelton
shootout, Philadelphia’s bizarre MOVE math
remains clear: One police officer killed, nine
life sentences; 11 men, women, and children killed, no indictment ever issued.

A tale of two bullets, and one blaze:
Justice in Dallas, justice for MOVE

ROBERT ZALLER

Once upon a time there were two magic bullets.
One of them, it is said, killed a president.
Fired from an antiquated Italian carbine of World
War II vintage, it supposedly penetrated the neck
of John F. Kennedy to the right of the spine,
exiting below the Adam’s apple and proceeding,
like a heat-seeking missile, to enter beneath and
behind the right armpit of his traveling
companion, Texas Governor John Connally,
shattering four inches of rib before exiting
below the latter’s right nipple, passing through
his right wrist and lodging two inches deep in
his left thigh, whence it would be recovered,
according to legend, in virtually pristine condition.

The legend’s author, Arlen Specter, is still, 46
years later, holding and seeking public office. A wondrous world we live in.

The second bullet possessed no less magical
properties. It was the one that killed police
officer James Ramp in the shootout at the MOVE
compound in West Philadelphia on August 8, 1978.
Apparently it was fired from nine guns at once,
because nine individuals were found guilty of
firing by Common Pleas Judge Edwin Malmed, who
sentenced all nine of them to prison terms of 30 to 100 years each.

Actually, the bullet was originally attributed to
no fewer than 12 guns, but the murder charges
were dropped against two MOVE members after they
agreed to disavow their affiliation with MOVE,
and a third at first charged couldn’t be
conclusively identified as a MOVE member.

Judge Malmed’s rationale

Of course, the fatal bullet could have come from
hundreds of guns, since that many armed police
had converged on the compound and no single
source or trajectory for the bullet was ever established.

When asked on a radio interview about condemning
and sentencing nine people for a crime that
couldn’t be forensically imputed to any one of
them, and of which eight at least were by the
laws of physics necessarily innocent, Judge
Malmed replied, “They called themselves a family.
I sentenced them as a family.”

The Nazis used to go in for that kind of thing.
Kill one of theirs, they’d take revenge on ten of yours, or a hundred.

Actually, the Nazis were fairer. The odds seem
better than even that Officer Ramp was killed by
friendly fire, given the number of guns in play.

No matter. If you belonged to MOVE that day, you
were guilty of murder. But just as magically, if
you renounced MOVE, your guilt was removed.

The MOVE Nine were sentenced for one crime, and
one alone:  For calling themselves a family.

Thirty-one years have gone by since the MOVE Nine
were sentenced. Eight have served their minimum
sentence; one, Merle Austin Africa, died in
prison in 2000. The eight survivors remain imprisoned.

Thirty-one years down. Only 69 to go.

Still in court

This week marked the 25th anniversary of the
infamous bombing of the MOVE house on Osage
Avenue that left 11 dead, five of them children,
and burned two city blocks. MOVE survivors and
their attorney, Leon Williams, appeared in court
to file civil criminal complaints against former
mayor Wilson Goode and ten other officials. It
isn’t the first time they’ve done it, and it very likely won’t be the last.

The current district attorney, Seth Williams,
thinks that justice can still get two bites at
the apple in the case of William Barnes, who
after spending nearly a lifetime in prison is
being retried because a cop he shot in 1966 died
in 2007. But Williams has shown no interest to
date in what happened on Osage Avenue in 1985,
for which only MOVE survivors were prosecuted.

When civilians shoot cops in Philadelphia, time
is never served.  When state agents kill citizens, no harm and no foul.

Ramona Africa, one of the two Osage Avenue
survivors, addressed the issue of trauma at the
May 12 MOVE press conference at the Friends’
Center on Cherry Street. “People ask me if I have
nightmares,” she said.  “I don’t have nightmares.
. . . Have any of you looked at Wilson Goode lately?”

Goode gets religion

Mayor Goode, also reflecting on the bombing’s
anniversary, told the Philadelphia Inquirer, “I
view it as an aberration in my life. I don’t view
it as part of a continuum in my life
 You don’t
let enemies or anyone define you by it.”

Mayor Goode is said to have gotten religion after
leaving office, something probably every
departing Philadelphia mayor should consider. He
earned a degree in divinity and for a while
pastored souls.  Apparently, no one ever tended
to his. The first thing a Christian is called upon to do is repent.

MOVE cannot be separated from the race war of the
1960s, when entire cities burned, nor from the
repressive regime of Mayor Frank Rizzo in the
1970s. If MOVE offered provocation, it never
resorted to violence except in self-defense.

The math is still clear: one police officer
killed, nine life sentences; 11 men, women, and
children killed, no indictment ever issued.

Ramona Africa up close

I’ve come to know Ramona Africa fairly well. She
is an impressive, self-possessed and remarkably
eloquent woman.  She speaks with quiet force, and
without rancor. Over the years she has become a
kind of civic icon, an image of a city in quest
of justice, of its own lost soul.

Ramona says she isn’t interested in revenge.
There was sorrow in her voice when she spoke of
Wilson Goode, sorrow not merely about him but for
him, the man who by his own admission has never
spoken of Osage Avenue with his wife and his
now-grown children (one of whom is himself a City Councilman).

Justice isn’t about retribution. It’s about
setting to rights. In the case of the MOVE Nine,
it is about setting free, at long last.

Justice may wait. It sometimes sleeps. In
Philadelphia, it often seems to be in a coma. But
it always comes in the end. In the meantime, we all suffer from its absence.