[Ppnews] Update on Scott Sisters campaign

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 18 16:50:23 EDT 2010

SAVING JAMIE SCOTT, VICTIM OF PRISON HEALTH CARE

After being convicted on questionable evidence, Jamie Scott and her
sister Gladys received two consecutive life sentences apiece for a
1993 armed robbery in which no one was hurt and the take was $11. As
<http://solitarywatch.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/for-jamie-scott-an-11-robbery-in-mississippi-may-carry-a-death-sentence/>we
wrote back in March, this unwarranted life sentence is at risk of
becoming a death sentence for Jamie Scott, who is gravely ill, due to
the care she is receiving at Central Mississippi Correctional
Facility (CMCF) in Pearl. Since we first covered the story, Jamie's
condition has, if anything, grown still more critical.

Now 38, Jamie has been diagnosed with end-stage renal disease, and
requires dialysis to stay alive. Rather than let her leave for
dialysis, the prison brought in a machine that according to Jamie
broke down periodically. She has had one complication after another,
including multiple infections at the site of her dialysis shunt. She
has been rushed to the hospital several times, only to be promptly
returned to prison the moment her condition is deemed "stabilized."
According to her mother, Evelyn Rasco, Jamie's most recent hospital
visit took place when her veins collapsed and she was unable to walk.
This time, according to Rasco, the doctor at the hospital said he
refused to allow his patient to go  back to prison because she would
surely die there. But the Mississippi Department of Corrections had
its way, and back she went.

In the following letter, written a few weeks ago, Jamie Scott says,
"I have witness many inmates die at the hands of this second rate
medical care. I do not want to be one of them." The letter was
provided to Solitary Watch by
<http://nancylockhart.blogspot.com/>Nancy Lockhart, a paralegal who
works with the wrongfully convicted, and has been advocating for
Scott for some time.

The living condition in quickbed area is not fit for any human to
live in. I have been incarcerated for 15 years 6 months now and this
is the worst I have ever experience. When it rain out side it rain
inside. The zone flood like a river. The rain comes down on our heads
and we have to try to get sheets and blankets to try to stop it from
wetting our beds and personnel property. Because the floors are
concrete and it have paint on it, it makes it very slippery when it
rain and there have been numerous of inmates that have broke their
arms and hurt there self do to this.

Above our heads there are rows and rows of spiders as if we live in
the jungle. There are inmates that have holds in there bodies left
from spider bites, because once they are bitten it take forever to
get to the clinic for any help. There are mold in the bathroom
ceiling and around the walls and toilets. The toilets leak sewage
from under them and they have the inmate men to come in and patch
them up occasionally. The smell is awful. The showers are two
circular poles with five shower heads on each pole. The floor in the
shower is also concrete and slippery. There is nothing to hold on to
when you exit the shower so there have been many inmates that have
hurt there self in the process. Outside the building there is debirs
where the unit is falling apart.

Each day we are force to live in these conditions. The staph
infection is so high and we are force to wave in toilet and sewage
water when we have to go to the bathroom. I have witness many inmates
die at the hands of this second rate medical care. I do not want to
be one of them.

When this is brought to the health department or anyone attention.
The MDOC tries to get the inmate to try to pamper it up so if someone
comes in it want look as bad as the inmates said it did. I am fully
aware that we are in prison, but no one should have to live in such
harsh condition. I am paranoid of catching anything because of what I
have been going throw with my medical condition.

We are living in these harsh conditions, but if you go to the
administration offices, they are nice and clean and smell nice
because they make sure the inmates clean their offices each day. They
tell us to clean the walls. Cleaning the walls will not help
anything. Cleaning the walls will not stop the rain from pouring in.
it will not stop the mold from growing inside the walls and around
us. It will not stop the spiders from mating.

They have 116 inmates on each wing, and we live not five feet from
each other in order to pack us in. We have the blowers on the ceiling
and if the inmates are acting crazy or the staff come in mad they use
the blowers as a form of punishment. The taxes payers really are lead
to believe we are been rehabilitated. That is a joke. All we do is
sit in this infected unit and build up more hate. Rehabilitated
starts within you. If you want to change you will change.

One thing about MDOC, they know how to fix the paper work up to make
it seen as if they are doing their job. You can get more drugs and
anything else right here. I have witness a lot in my time here.

Do I sound angry, I am not I am hurt and sick. Because they have
allowed my kidney to progress to stage five which been the highest.
They told me years ago I had protein in my urine, but I went years
without any help. Now, it seen the eyes are on me because my family
are on their case. Every inmate is not without family. Yes, you do
have many inmates that family have giving up on, but my sister and I
are not them.

I do not want special attention, I want to treat, and to live how the
state says on paper we are living. The same way when it is time for
the big inspection we are promised certain food if we please clean up
to pass this inspection. So I beg of anyone to please understand
Mississippi Department of Correction is a joke. They will let you die
or even kill yourself. We are told when visitors come into the prison
do not talk to them. Well I have the right to talk to anyone and if
the health department or anyone comes I will talk to him or her,
because this is my life and I should or anyone else should be force
to live like this.

They use unlawful punishments to try to shut us up. I need help. I
need a inmate to help me, but for some reason they will not allow me
to move with my sister, so she can help me. There are mother and
daughter, aunties, and nieces housed together and also there are a
total of 12 inmates acting as orally for others inmates. I have all
the names of the inmates acting as a orally if need to be giving.
However, the subject of my sister is been danced around. A form of
discrimination. My sister [Gladys Scott] and I were housed together
for over ten years and not once have we ever caused any problem. We
were split up because in 2003 the Commissioner came with the order to
separate all family members. Because its payback because my family is
holding them accountable to do what they are paid to do. Also, do to
the fact Mr. [Rip] Daniels on It's a New Day
[<http://www.itisanewday.com/>talk radio show] & Grassroots are
keeping the supports inform that is been pointed out to me in a negative way.

Now that I am sitting everyday because of my sickness I have time to
use my typewriter. MDOC have gotten away with to much. In addition,
some of the things that go on here I truly believe that Mr. Epps
[Commissioner of the Mississippi Department of Corrections] do not know.

More information on grassroots efforts around Jamie Scott's case,
including a current letter-writing campaign to get her better care,
can be found at <http://www.freethescottsisters.blogspot.com/>Free
the Scott Sisters.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS ARTICLE TO MEDIA OUTLETS!!!
-----------------

Please continue to advocate on behalf of Jamie and Gladys Scott,
their children and families need for them to return home alive, the
time is NOW!

Attorney General Eric Holder
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
HOTLINE:  202-353-1555
PHONE: 202-514-2000
202-307-6777 fax
<http://us.mc375.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=askdoj@usdoj.gov&subject=USDOJ%20Comments>AskDOJ at usdoj.gov

Christopher Epps
601-359-5600
<http://us.mc375.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=CEPPS@mdoc.state.ms.us>CEPPS at mdoc.state.ms.us
723 North President Street
Jackson, MS 39202

Governor Haley Barbour
P.O. Box 139
Jackson, Mississippi 39205
1-877-405-0733 or 601-359-3150
Fax: 601-359-3741
(If you reach VM leave msgs, faxes, and please send letters)

---------------

Visit and LINK to:
<http://www.freethescottsisters.blogspot.com/>http://www.freethescottsisters.blogspot.com

Subscribe to our group:  Send a blank e-mail to
<mailto:scottsistersupdates-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>scottsistersupdates-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
and share information!
Facebook Group: Free The Scott Sisters
Facebook Fan Page: Free The Scott Sisters
Free the Scott Sisters
Petition:
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Free-Jamie-Gladys/index.html>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Free-Jamie-Gladys/index.html
Free the Scott Sisters Flyer: