[Ppnews] My Brother Faces A Lifetime Of Solitary Confinement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat May 15 10:18:50 EDT 2010

My Brother Faces A Lifetime Of Solitary
Confinement On A Spurious Terror Conviction

By Mariam Abu-Ali

<http://www.alternet.org/rights/146817/my_brother_faces_a_lifetime_of_solitary_confinement_on_a_spurious_terror_conviction/?page=entire>Alternet.org

A version of this piece first appeared in
<http://www.thehoya.com/opinion/prisoner-rights-endangered/>The
Hoya, Georgetown University's newspaper.

My brother, Ahmed Abu Ali, has spent the past
five years in solitary confinement, under 23-hour
lockdown, in a 7x12 cell. He has one recreational
hour in which he must get strip-searched if he
wishes to leave his cell. He gets one unscheduled
telephone call a month to his family, and
receives the newspaper by the time news becomes
history. If I send him a letter wishing him a
happy birthday, he gets it 60 days later. When I
visit him, once a year, I speak to him from
behind a glass window. He is literally in a
dungeon, over 20 meters beneath the ground.

Ahmed is not in a foreign prison, nor is he in
Guantánamo; he is in a super maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado.

Ahmed was not convicted of an act of violence nor
was he charged with one. In 2003, Ahmed, a
sociable 22-year-old, was studying abroad when he
was detained in Medina, Saudi Arabia at the
behest of the U.S government. My family, in
tandem with several human rights organizations,
filed a habeas petition demanding his return to
the U.S., and the judge ruled in our favor.

After being held for nearly two years in Saudi
Arabia without any charges or access to an
attorney, Ahmed was transferred to U.S. custody.
The U.S. government sought to avoid public
embarrassment by charging him with nine counts of
terrorism related conspiracy. The only evidence
presented was a confession tape obtained under
torture in Saudi Arabia, a country with
documented prisoner abuse, as reported by the
State Department. Additionally, the judge
suppressed the defense's evidence of torture
during the trial. During a pretrial hearing,
Ahmed offered to show the scars on his back in
the U.S. courtroom. The judge refused his
request, but assured him he would not be mistreated in the United States.

Mistreatment would be an understatement, given
the draconian conditions under which he is held.
Ahmed was initially sentenced to 30 years, but
the prosecution was not satisfied. They appealed
to increase his sentence. Despite the fact that
the so-called conspiracies, according to the
judge, "did not result in a single actual
victim," he is now serving a life sentence in
solitary confinement under Special Administrative Measures (SAMs).

Created in 1996, SAMs were imposed for a maximum
of four months when a prisoner was deemed
violent. Now, SAMs can be designated by the
Attorney General for up to a year, and renewed
continually thereafter resulting in perpetual
isolation, a form of torture under international
law. The SAMs limit certain "privileges,"
including, but not limited to, correspondence,
visits, media interviews and telephone use. SAMs
also restrict conversations between inmates and
their lawyers by allowing them to be monitored by
prison officials, violating attorney-client
privilege and depriving inmates of their right to
effective counsel guaranteed by the Sixth
Amendment. Ahmed was under SAMs even before his
trial began. Imposing SAMs pre-trial cast a
shadow of suspicion on a defendant, rendering him guilty until proven innocent.

Unfortunately, my brother's case is not an
anomaly. Civil rights violations are an integral
part of the "war on terror" and have become
entrenched in the U.S. court system and in prison policy.

Fahad Hashmi is a young student from New York,
who received his B.A from Brooklyn College and
his master's from London Metropolitan University.
In 2006, he was arrested at an airport in the
United Kingdom and held in England's notorious
Belmarsh prison for 11 months. Like Ahmed, Fahad
was charged with conspiracy on the basis of
flimsy evidence. While in the UK, he allowed an
acquaintance to stay at his apartment for two
weeks. The government alleges that this
acquaintance had socks, raincoats and ponchos in
his luggage during his stay that would later get
delivered to Al-Qaeda. The government's case
rested on secret evidence and on the testimony of
an acquaintance who then became an informant to
get a reduction on his own prison sentence.

Fahad was extradited back to New York, where was
held at the Metropolitan Correctional Center
without a trial under SAMs for the past three
years. Under 24-hour electronic surveillance, he
is required to shower and relieve himself in view
of a camera. Furthermore, his limited family
visits have been suspended for the past five months.

Extreme sensory deprivation often leads to hunger
strikes and results in the deterioration of
prisoners' physical and mental health. Medical
and scholarly research has shown that such
sensory deprivation results in depression,
lethargy and psychosis in otherwise healthy
prisoners. After studying inmates in solitary
confinement, Craig Haney, a psychology professor
at the University of California, Santa Cruz,
noted that they "begin to lose the ability to
initiate behavior of any kind -- to organize
their own lives around activity and purpose
 In
extreme cases, prisoners may literally stop
behaving," lapsing into catatonic states.

Senator John McCain, who spent more than two
years in isolation while detained in Vietnam, has
said that solitary confinement "crushes your
spirit and weakens your resistance more
effectively than any other form of mistreatment."
Last year, Ahmed's conditions were so unbearable,
he went on a hunger strike for two months, losing 50 pounds.

Fahad's health has degraded immensely, a fact
that would have compromised his ability to
participate in his defense during his trial,
which was scheduled to begin on April 28.
Instead, Fahad reached a plea bargain on the eve
of his trial. In addition to facing the prospect
of a 70-year prison sentence, the court granted
the government's request for an anonymous jury
with extra protection. The Center for
Constitutional Rights called it "a clear attempt
to influence the jury by creating a sense of fear
for their safety and to paint Mr. Hashmi as
already guilty." Fahad's plea should not be
presumed as an admission of guilt; the biased
circumstances led him to accept a chance for a lesser charge.

Ahmed's or Fahad's innocence is not the point,
although I believe both are guilt-free. Rather, I
write because regardless of their innocence or
guilt, it is their right to be treated humanely.
If we believe in the inherent dignity of each
human being, then we should be outraged by these
abuses. Unfortunately, abuse here in the United
States rarely receives media attention. President
Obama promised to close down Guantánamo; let us
demand that he closes down the Guantánamo-style
prisons on U.S. soil, too. Anyone with a true
understanding of American values ought to demand
an immediate end to these cruel and unusual punishments.

Mariam Abu-Ali is a senior at Georgetown University.