[Ppnews] How Your Twitter Account Could Land You in Jail

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 11 18:15:47 EST 2010

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/police-twitter-riots-social-media-activists
Mother Jones

How Your Twitter Account Could Land You in Jail

Anything you tweet could be used against you.

By
<http://motherjones.com/authors/matthew-power>Matthew
Power | <http://motherjones.com/toc/2010/03>March/April 2010 Issue

----------
On the afternoon of September 24, 2009,
Pennsylvania State Troopers, their guns drawn,
broke down the door of room 238 of the CareFree
Inn on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. The troopers
were acting on a search warrant related to
protests planned for the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_G-20_Pittsburgh_summit>G20
summit [1]­a meeting of the heads of state of the
world's major economies. Thousands of protesters
had descended on the city, presenting demands
ranging from curbs on carbon emissions to the outright abolition of capitalism.

Anticipating hordes of black-masked,
Starbucks-smashing anarchists, the Pittsburgh
police and the Secret Service coordinated nearly
4,000 law enforcement officers, outfitting them
with the latest in riot-dispersal technology.
Crowds marching on the summit were met with
pepper spray, stun grenades, and­for the first
time on US
soil­<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM>acoustic
cannons [2] that blast painful sounds as far as
1,000 feet. But the protesters had their own
crowd-control methods, and that's what had
brought the state troopers to the CareFree Inn.

What they found when they broke down the door
were a couple of middle-aged housemates from
Queens, New York. Elliott Madison sat at a desk
with a laptop and a cell phone. A police scanner
lay nearby. Michael Wallschlaeger was at the
minifridge grabbing some hummus when the police
rushed in. According to the criminal complaint
filed against them, the two men had been
"communicating with various protestors, and
protest groups...[via] internet based
communications, more commonly known as 'Twitter'.
The observed 'Twitter' communications were noted
to be relevant to the direction of the movement
of the Protestors...in order to avoid apprehension..."

Madison and Wallschlaeger were part of
<http://tincancomms.wordpress.com/>Tin Can Comms
Collective [3], a "collection of communication
rebels" made up of several individuals in various
locations across Pittsburgh. Madison's job was to
verify information being sent in and then relay
that to legal observers, street medics, and other
organizers who could in turn tweet the
information to the masses in the streets.

The raid occurred just as the protests were
starting, but even as Madison and Wallschlaeger
were arrested, the information flowed from the
other tweeters without a blip. "A comms facility
was raided, but we are still fully operational
please continue to submit reports" stated
<http://twitter.com/G20pgh>one subsequent tweet [4].

The real-time updates were available to anyone
who followed the feed, allowing protesters to see
the theater of operations and add information to
the picture. It was as if the demonstrators had
gotten their own helicopter. Tin Can Comms sent
out <http://twitter.com/G20pgh>messages [4] such
as "SWAT teams rolling down 5th Ave towards
Schenley" and "40 cops, w/ bus, headed towards
friendship park." The police knew they were being
outflanked, but could do little against a
decentralized foe: "SCANNER JUST SAID: BE ADVISED
WE'RE BEING MONITORED BY ANARCHISTS THROUGH SCANNER," noted one Tin Can tweet.

Madison and Wallschlaeger were charged with
"criminal use of a communication facility,"
"possessing instruments of crime," and "hindering
apprehension"­two felony counts and one misdemeanor.

With his long ponytail and goatee, Madison looks
younger than his 42 years. A full-time social
worker and self-proclaimed anarchist, he has long
played support roles in protest movements, most
often as a legal observer or a communications
coordinator. He has no criminal record, but
nevertheless had to post $30,000 in bail.
Wallschlaeger, a 46-year-old host of a radio show
called
"<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/35839>This
Week in Radical History [5]," had to post $5,000.

Madison calls the arrest an attempt to "stifle
dissent" and says his actions were "perfectly
legal." His lawyer, Martin Stolar, calls them
"absolutely protected speech." Madison also
points out the irony that last June the State
Department asked Twitter to delay scheduled
maintenance so as not to interrupt Iranian
protesters tweeting from the barricades.

Tehran and Pittsburgh were not the first time
social networking and mass texts were used to
support a large-scale protest: At the 2004
Republican National Convention in New York City,
thousands of protesters were organized by a
mass-messaging
<http://web.media.mit.edu/%7Etad/pub/txtmob_chi05.pdf>program
called TXTmob [6] (pdf). This proved the new
tools' usefulness to both activists and police,
and they adjusted their strategies accordingly.
TXTmob is even credited as one of the programs
that inspired Twitter's inventors.

In Pittsburgh, the protesters' Twitter stream
continued through the end of the G20 summit, with
noticeable results. By the time the tear gas
cleared, only around 190 arrests had been made,
far fewer than at previous protests in Seattle
and New York. The media soon forgot about the
story­but for the two arrestees, an ordeal that
Madison describes as "Kafkaesque" was only beginning.

At around six in the morning a week after Madison
and Wallschlaeger posted bail, a dozen NYPD
officers and FBI agents from the Joint Terrorism
Task Force (JTTF) broke down the front and back
doors of Madison's home in Queens. Guns drawn,
they smashed in bedroom doors, and Madison,
Wallschlaeger, their housemates, and a guest were
left handcuffed on a couch. With helicopters
circling overhead, agents searched the house for
16 hours. "I asked to see the search warrant,"
says Madison, "and they basically said, 'Fuck
you, you'll see it when we give it to you.'"

Court records show the FBI seized hundreds of
items, including computers, hard drives, cameras,
a World War I-era gas mask, "anarchy books," even
an antique needlepoint of Lenin made by Madison's
wife's grandmother. Several issues of
<http://www.steampunkmagazine.com/>Steampunk
Magazine [7], where Madison writes under the pen
name Professor Calamity, were also seized, as was
a guide on poisons (which he says he uses in the
writing of mystery novels), a Mao Tse-tung
refrigerator magnet, and several Buffy the
Vampire Slayer DVDs. A poster in the living room
of anarchist philosopher
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bakunin>Mikhail
Bakunin [8] was left alone; "I guess they didn't
know who he was," says Madison. At one point a
hazmat team in full protective gear was brought
in to investigate a jar of kombucha tea
fermenting in the basement. Madison claims a JTTF
agent shook his head and said, "You guys are just a bunch of hippies!"

The raid seemed to have an aimless quality.
Madison was handed a ticket for a packet of
fireworks, and an agent who put his hand into a
suspected bag of marijuana discovered, painfully,
that it was dried stinging nettles, used in
homeopathy. "It was almost as if they thought,
'If we take enough stuff, we'll find something to
charge them with,'" Madison says. When he was
finally shown the cover sheet to the search
warrant, it provided for the seizure of any items
"designed or intended as a means of violating the federal rioting laws."

The federal anti-riot
statute­<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00002101----000-.html>18
USC §2101 [9]­makes it a felony to engage in
interstate travel to "organize, promote,
encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot."
The statute is almost never invoked, but was used
to indict the Chicago 7 for their
<http://motherjones.com/media/2008/02/film-review-chicago-10>organizing
activities [10] during the 1968 Democratic
National Convention. That case was ultimately
appealed and thrown out on other grounds, so the
constitutionality of the anti-riot statute has
never been challenged in the Supreme Court.
Critics have long contended that it is vague,
overbroad, and designed to suppress protest
activity and free expression. Applied in the
current context, "it starts to criminalize
dissent, to conflate terrorism with
demonstrations, and that's a very, very dangerous
notion," says lawyer Stolar. "Essentially it's
prosecution for a thought crime."

The fallout from the G20 protests has gotten
curiouser and curiouser. In an unexpected move,
the Pittsburgh charges against Madison and
Wallschlaeger were summarily dismissed. A
spokesman for the Allegheny County district
attorney said that the defendants' actions "may
have been related to more expansive activities"
and "that until further investigative activities
by law enforcement agencies can be completed, it
would be more prudent to have the current charges
withdrawn." Whatever the JTTF was up to, in other
words, would remain secret, along with the sealed
warrant that the Pennsylvania state troopers had used.

At around the same time, during an October
hearing on the Queens raid, a prosecutor revealed
that a federal grand jury had been convened to
investigate protest activities. The affidavits
containing the allegations that convinced a judge
to approve the search of Madison's house also remain sealed.

Federal and grand juries are conducted in utter
secrecy and have enormous power. The old joke is
that they can "indict a ham sandwich," but if
they turn up nothing, they can disappear with no
public disclosure. Stolar doesn't know of anyone
who has been summoned, but given the course of
events, "I would say they're looking to go after
what they consider to be hardcore demonstrators,"
he says. "I have very little faith in government
anyway," says Madison, "but this is something I
would have expected more under the Bush regime."
A spokesman for the US attorney for the Eastern
District of New York declined to comment on the investigation.

Madison and his housemates are trying to get on
with their lives, not knowing when, or if, the
other shoe will drop. "Nothing could ever happen
and we'll never know why," says Madison, sitting
in the living room of his Queens home, the broken
lock on the front door still unrepaired. "We're
anarchists," he adds, "but that's not illegal,
and it's actually a good thing. We're not ashamed
of it. Part of the thing with the government is
to make you feel not only afraid but also
ashamed. That's just not going to work with me."

----------
Source URL:
<http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/police-twitter-riots-social-media-activists>http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/police-twitter-riots-social-media-activists

Links: