[Ppnews] Politico’s join in smear campaign against Vicky Peláez

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 30 10:34:57 EDT 2010

Politico’s Ben Smith and Left Business Observer’s
Doug Henwood join in smear campaign against Vicky Peláez

Machetera

When the FBI arrested ten Cubans in Miami in
1998, accusing them of espionage and failing to
register under the Foreign Agent Registration
Act, Miami’s media immediately went into action,
with headlines that screamed “Spies Among Us” and
“Experts Claim That Cuba Sells Information
Gathered by Spies.”  When the accused finally
went to trial in the late fall of 2000 and early
2001, Miami’s rocket scientists had added another
charge to the original indictment – that of
conspiracy to commit murder – in relation to
Cuba’s shootdown of the Brothers to the Rescue
aircraft who had defied every warning from both
U.S. and Cuban governments in order to repeatedly
trespass into Cuban airspace.  For the court
case, the media went into overdrive.

Univision‘s Channel 23 assigned its art
department to come up with the subliminal
visuals: a sinister looking man peering out from
a shadowy Cuban flag, while reporters and anchors
performed their assigned roles of holding
microphones before the tearful relatives of the
downed fliers.  It was such a media tour de force
that it resulted in what the Atlanta Circuit
Court of Appeals would later call a “perfect
storm of prejudice” that landed five of the men
in maximum security prisons, one of them, Gerardo
Hernández, under a double life sentence plus 15
years.  The government even tried to withdraw the
charge against Hernández at the last minute,
worried that the lack of evidence would sink its
entire case, but the jury, well-dosed by the
surrounding media and community hysteria found
the lack of evidence no barrier to a conviction.

Five years would pass before the truth behind the
media’s “perfect storm” would begin to emerge,
which was that the U.S. Government was paying
these journalists for their performances.  Some
worked for the U.S. Government funded anti-Cuban
Radio and TV Martí, at the same time they worked
for Univision and other media outlets.  Leonard
Weinglass says that this “evidence of the
government’s manipulations of attitudes within
the community
violated Gerardo’s constitutional
right to a fair trial” and is the substance of
his
<http://www.freethefive.org/legalFront/LFPressReleaseGerardo61610.htm>recently
filed federal habeas corpus appeal.

When the FBI went after another ten people in the
Northeast this last weekend, accusing them of
being Russian agents, it might not have been able
to count on the same tsunami of coverage that it
enjoyed in Miami, but then again, we’ve only just
gotten started.  Already there is a sleazy
snippet circulating on the internet about Vicky
Peláez, thanks to a website housed in suburban
Arlington, Virginia, and a somewhat obscure
newsletter, Left Business Observer (LBO), housed
in Brooklyn.   Doug Henwood who edits LBO, calls
Peláez a “nut” and Ben Smith, who writes for the
website Politico, calls her a “fabricator” for
including information in an article she wrote on
the U.S. prison industrial complex that she said
sourced from LBO, when Henwood claims that it didn’t.

Henwood has had years to make this claim, yet he
has not said a word until now.  Despite whatever
claims he might make to being technologically
challenged – and I’m only guessing at these based
on the dismal appearance and general uselessness
of Left Business Observer‘s website – the quote
“According to the Left Business Observer, the
federal prison industry produces 100% of all
military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof
vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and
canteens” has been freely available on the
internet for years.  All you have to do is Google
“According to the Left Business Observer,”
period, and the quote will magically appear.

Is it a coincidence that Henwood suddenly notices
this, decides it is a problem, and moves himself
to speak about it when Vicky Peláez is not in a
position to defend herself?  I’m not saying that
Henwood and Smith are being paid by the U.S.
government – if true, it would take years to
ferret out anyway – but there’s no question that
their efforts are helpful in the government’s quest to destroy Peláez’s career.

This morning
<http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/29/john_pilger_there_is_a_war>Amy
Goodman interviewed John Pilger on Democracy Now
about the current war on journalists and the
difference between journalists who serve as
apologists for that war, and those who serve
their country by being honest reporters, like
Rolling Stone‘s Michael Hastings, and I would
add, El Diario-La Prensa‘s Vicky Peláez.  I
suggest Smith and Henwood have a look and see if
they can figure out which side they’re on.

Editor’s Note: Not fifteen minutes after
publishing this, I received the following note
from Henwood, who is as apparently charming as he
is technologically challenged:

You’re obviously a fucking idiot. How am I
smearing someone to say she attributed something to me that was totally false?

I dunno, this smells of Workers World or something.

I do not have any association with Workers World.

Machetera is a member of
<http://www.tlaxcala.es/>Tlaxcala, the
international network of translators for
linguistic diversity. This article may be
reprinted as long as the content remains unaltered, and the author is cited.