[Ppnews] The Politics of Death: Throwing Mumia Abu-Jamal Under the Bus

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jun 29 14:19:21 EDT 2010

Published on This Can't Be Happening
(<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net>http://www.thiscantbehappening.net)

The Politics of Death: Throwing Mumia Abu-Jamal Under the Bus

By Anonymous
Created 06/29/2010 - 13:29
by:
By Dave Lindorff

"I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong."
--Frederick Douglass

On the evening of March 4, participants at the
Fourth UN World Congress Against the Death
Penalty in Geneva, Switzerland had assembled from
all over the globe for a dramatic Voices of
Victims evening. It got more dramatic than they
had anticipated though, when suddenly a cell
phone rang and Robert R. Bryan, lead defense
attorney for Mumia Abu-Jamal, jumped up on the
stage to announce that his client had called him
from death row in Pennsylvania.

The audience in rapt silence as the emcee held
the phone up to the microphone. Abu-Jamal, on
death row for 28 years after a widely disputed
conviction for the murder of Philadelphia police
officer Daniel Faulkner, greeted the delegates
and than, as he has done on many occasions
before, described to them the horrors of life in
prison for the 20,000 people around the world who are awaiting execution.

A small group of American death penalty
abolitionist leaders, led by Renny Cushing,
executive director of Murder Victims' Families
for Human Rights, stalked out of the hall. Two
members of MVFHR, however, remained in the hall:
Bill Babbitt, whose brother Manny, a Vietnam vet
suffering acute post-traumatic stress disorder,
was executed in California; and Bill Pelke, whose
grandmother was murdered by a girl whom he later
befriended and helped to spare from execution.
Babbitt even joined Bryan onstage during Abu-Jamal's brief address.

What neither Babbitt nor Pelke, nor Abu-Jamal and
his attorney, Bryan, knew at the time was that
way back in December, leaders and individual
board members of several of the organizations in
the US abolitionist movement had signed--without
their full boards’ or their memberships’
knowledge--a
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/116>“confidential”
memorandum [1], which they then sent to the
French organizers of the World Congress, stating
bluntly that, “As international representatives
of the US abolition movement, we cannot agree to
the involvement of Abu-Jamal or his lawyers in
the World Congress beyond attendance.”

Purporting to be from “the US members of the
Steering Committee” of the World Congress”
(though hardly an inclusive list of that
committee’s membership) and titled, “Involvement
of Mumia Abu-Jamal endangers the US coalition for
abolition of the death penalty,” the memo claimed
that the French organizers of the World Congress,
Together Against the Death Penalty (ECPM), had
arranged to have Abu-Jamal speak “over
objection.” The memo further further asserted
that the abolitionist movement in the US is
trying to “cultivate” the support of the
ultra-conservative and staunchly pro-death
penalty Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), an
organization representing some 35,000 police
officers in the US that advocates the execution
of Abu-Jamal and all other prisoners convicted of
killing of police officers. The FOP, said the
memo, has “announced a boycott of organizations
and individuals who support Abu-Jamal,” and
therefore anything done by the Congress to aid
his cause would be “dangerously
counter-productive to the abolition movement in the US.”

ThisCantBeHappening! this past week obtained a copy of that secret memorandum.

When we showed it to some other members of the
boards of the organizations whose officers or
individual board members had signed their names
to it, responses ranged from consternation to
outrage. Babbitt’s brother Manny was killed as a
direct result of a corrupt law enforcement system
in California that pressed for execution, even
though it was clear from medical testimony that
the elderly grandmother he allegedly killed
actually died of shock when she discovered him
breaking and entering her apartment. Left in the
dark about the memo despite his being on the
WVFHR board, Babbitt said, “My brother Manny’s
last words to me were to always take the high
road, and to me that means telling the truth and
being open and transparent.” He added, regarding
the content of the memo, “I think throwing Mumia
under the bus is not the way to go in the
abolitionist movement. You don’t make bargains
with a wolf whose motive is to devour.”

Robert Meeropol, a son of Ethyl and Julius
Rosenberg, who were executed as spies in 1953, is
also a member of the MVFHR board. Currently
traveling on behalf of the organization in Asia,
he said through a staffer in the US that he did
not know about the memo, and added that he still
stands “fully in support of a new trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal.”

Several calls seeking a comment from Cushing or
Lowenstein remain unanswered, though a staffer at
the WVFHR Boston office, Susanna Sheffer, said,
“This is a complicated thing. You need to
understand the depth and texture of this.”

Also surprised at the memo was actor Michael
Farrell, president of the California abolitionist
group Death Penalty Focus. Farrell, a long-time
supporter of the call for a new trial for
Abu-Jamal, said he had never seen the memo,
though it was signed by a member of the DPF board, attorney Elizabeth Zitrin.

Other signers of the memo were Thomas H. “Speedy”
Rice of the National Association of Criminal
Defense Attorneys, Kritsin Houlé of the Texas
Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty and Juan
Matos de Juan of the Puerto Rican Bar Assn.

Bryan, a veteran death penalty defense lawyer who
served 10 years on the board of the National
Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty--three of
them as the organization’s chair--says, “In all
my years as an activist opposing the death
penalty, I have never heard of any individual or
group in that fight singling out anyone as an
exception to our campaign to abolish capital
punishment. Everyone is treated equally. To
single someone out and say they don’t count is
chilling. Where do you draw the line? At people
accused of killing cops? At people accused of
killing old ladies? People accused of killing
children? Where does it stop? It’s appalling!”

Heidi Beghosian, executive director of the
National Lawyers Guild, an organization that has
long been in the forefront of the campaign to end
the death penalty in the US, and which was not
advised of the plan to circulate the memo on
behalf of the US Steering Committee to the World
Congress, despite it’s being a charter member of
the World Congress, roundly condemned the secret
effort to silence Abu-Jamal at the March event.

“Mumia Abu-Jamal’s case is emblematic of the
inherent flaws in the capital punishment system,”
she said. “That he is castigated by leaders in
the abolitionist movement shows precisely what is
wrong with the system­it is a system enslaved to
the whims and personal biases of police,
prosecutor, judge, and jury. While cultivating
certain voices of law enforcement may assist in
efforts to achieve abolition, it should not be at
the expense of exposing a case that embodies some
of the most reprehensible actions on the part of
the police, the district attorney and the
judiciary. The powerful FOP, and their
heavy-handed efforts to vilify Abu-Jamal and his
supporters, should not be the barometer by which
abolitionist leaders gauge their strategic
priorities. Members of the abolitionist movement
should be working together and not further
censoring and ostracizing a death row inmate.”

What makes the American abolitionists’ petulant
and manipulative behavior as expressed in the
secret memo and their cynical threat to withdraw
from the Congress particularly outrageous is that
Abu-Jamal’s arrest, trial and appeals process has
been, as Beghosian notes, a textbook case of
police and prosecutor corruption, malfeasance and
abuse. From the beginning, even before his
arrest, Abu-Jamal’s case was poisoned by a police
lust for vengeance. Although he had been shot
through the lung and liver by a bullet fired from
Officer Faulkner’s service revolver, and was in
danger of dying of internal bleeding that was
filling his lungs with blood, Abu-Jamal was left
lying in a police wagon for almost half an hour
before he was finally delivered to a hospital
emergency room, where hospital staff and at least
one police officer on the scene observed him
being kicked and punched by the officers delivering him.

During the jury selection process at the
beginning of his trial, the presiding judge,
Albert Sabo, who as a county sheriff’s deputy was
an FOP member before was made a judge, was
overheard by a second judge and his court
stenographer saying to his own court clerk, as he
exited the courtroom through the jurdge’s robing
room, “Yeah and I’m gonna help them fry that nigger!”

During the tortuous appeals process, both the
state and federal courts have shamelessly bent
their rules and violated precedents to deny
Abu-Jamal the benefits of precedents that have
been routinely accorded other appellants. Third
Circuit Appeals Court Judge Thomas Ambro wrote in
a stinging dissent to a decision by his two
colleagues who effectively created new law from
the bench in rejecting Abu-Jamal’s well-founded
Batson claim of racial bias by the prosecution
during jury selection at his trail. Scarcely
concealing his outrage, Judge Ambro wrote: "Our
Court has previously reached the merits of Batson
claims on habeas review in cases where the
petitioner did not make a timely objection during
jury selection--signaling that our Circuit does
not have a federal contemporaneous objection
rule--and I see no reason why we should not
afford Abu-Jamal the courtesy of our precedents."
He added, "Why we pick this case to depart from that reasoning I do not know."

Abu-Jamal himself, interviewed by phone last
Friday from his cell at the super-max death row
facility SCI-Greene in western Pennsylvania,
blasted the attempt to silence him at the
Congress, and to ostracize him from the American
abolitionist movement. “They are really making
deals with the devil,” he said, of claims that
the US abolitionist movement was trying to gain
the support of the FOP. “My instinct, being from
Philadelphia, is that money was passed, though I
have not evidence to prove it.” He added, “This
secret action is a threat to the entire
abolitionist movement. They are saying that
because the opposition (to abolition) is so
strong, we should not fight. If you have that
attitude, why have an abolitionist movement at all?”

Abu-Jamal, whose death penalty was lifted by a
federal judge in 2001, only to have the US
Supreme Court remand that decision back to the
Third Circuit, where it could be reimposed, and
who continues to be held in solitary confinement
on death row, where he maintains his innocence,
calls the signers of the memo “co-conspirators,”
and says they are “naive” to believe they can win
over the FOP by abandoning him to his fate.

“If the slavery abolitionists had taken this
approach back in 1860,” he says, “and said okay
let’s free the slaves, except those uppity ones
with prices on their heads like Harriet Tubman
and Frederick Douglass, we’d still have slavery
today.” Abu-Jamal said it appeared that the
abolitionist movement appeared to have lost its
way, and said that it needed to be broadened to
more closely reflect the population of the
nation’s death rows. where nearly everyone is
poor, and where 53% of the doomed inmates are non-white.

----------
Source URL:
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/117>http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/117

Links:
[1] http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/116

CONFIDENTIALMEMORANDUMto ECPM
from the US members of the Steering Committee of the WCADP
Involvement of Mumia Abu-Jamal endangers the US coalition
for abolition of the death penalty

ECPM has unilaterally, and over objection,
determined to give the Mumia Abu-Jamal case a
prominent role in the upcoming 4th World Congress
Against the Death Penalty, including the
participation of Mr. Abu-Jamal's lawyers and his
direct participation by telephone. The US members
of the Steering Committee of the World Coalition
Against the Death Penalty do not agree to this,
because it will be counter-productiveto our
effort to achieve abolition in our country.

The Abu-Jamal case, regardless of its merits,
acts as a lightning rod that galvanizes opponents
of abolition and neutralizes key constituencies
in the cause of abolition. Continuing to give
Abu-Jamal focused attention unnecessarily
attracts our strongest opponents and alienates
coalition partners at a time when we need to
build alliances, not foster hatred and enmity.

While Abu-Jamal still attracts some positive
attention outside of the United States, it is at
a real cost to the US abolition effort. In 1999,
the world's largest association of professional
law enforcement officers, the Fraternal Order of
Police, announced a boycott of organizations and
individuals who support Abu-Jamal. Bills have
been introduced in both houses of the US federal
legislature condemning the naming of streets for
Abu-Jamal. The result is that Abu-Jamal, rather
than abolition of the death penalty, becomes the
issue and the focus of attention. That is
dangerously counter-productive to the abolition movement in the US.
The voices of the Innocent, the voices of Victims
and the voices of Law Enforcement are the most
persuasive factors in changing public opinion and
the views of decision-makers (politicians) and
opinion leaders (media). Continuing to shine a
spotlight on Abu-Jamal, who has had so much
public exposure for so many years, threatens to
alienate these three most important partnership groups.

The support of law enforcement officials is
essential to achieving abolition in the United
States. It is essential to the national abolition
strategy of US abolition activists and attorneys,
that we cultivate the voices of police,
prosecutors and law enforcement experts, to
support our call for an end to the death penalty.
It was key in New Jersey and in New Mexico, it is
fundamental to abolition throughout the US, and
it will be a primary focus for 2010 and beyond.
We have begun to make real progress with police
officers and prosecutors speaking out against the
death penalty as a failed policy.

«In a national poll released in 2009, the
nation's police chiefs ranked the death penalty
last in their priorities for effective crime
reduction. The officers did not believe the death
penalty acted as a deterrent to murder, and they
rated it as one of most inefficient uses of
taxpayer dollars in fighting crime .... "

Death Penalty Information Center, The Death
Penalty in 2009: Year End Report, December
18,2009. If the 4th World Congress gives
Abu-Jamal and his lawyers the focus and attention
proposed by ECPM, the US movement for abolition
will be exposed to a serious backlash that will
directly damage the delicate alliances we are
building with essential groups. As international
representatives of the US abolition movement, we
cannot agree to the involvement of Abu-Jamal or
his lawyers in the World Congress beyond attendance.

For these reasons, providing Abu-Jamal the World
Congress stage will require us to consider how to
distance our programs in order to protect our
vital alliances with our key partners and
constituencies. To be effective ad- vocates
within the US we must and will continue our
strategic approach to abolition with our core
allies and our evolving partners. Featuring Mr.
Abu-Jamal's case as ECPM has proposed presents an
unacceptably high risk of fracturing a developing
but still fragile alliance with vitally important
constituencies - constituencies that can either
help our movement reach the goal of abolition or severely hinder our progress.

Elizabeth Zitrin (DPF), Renny Cushing and Kate
Lowenstein (MVFHR), Speedy Rice (NACDL), Kristin
Houle (TCADP), Juan Matos de Juan (PRBA)