[Ppnews] Veronza Bowers Update - still being held beyond his release date

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jun 22 22:43:49 EDT 2010

Dear Family & Friends of Veronza,

On Monday, June 21, 2010, attorneys for Veronza filed a brief in the
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit (Atlanta) challenging the
decision of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of
Georgia denying his writ of habeas corpus and release on mandatory parole.

In a lengthy review of the case, Veronza's legal team submitted a
strong and compelling argument for the judges of the 11th Circuit to
accept Magistrate Judge Susan Cole's 2008 Report & Recommendation
recommending Veronza's immediate release on parole. In that report
Judge Cole concluded that the U.S. Parole Commission bowed to undue
political pressure exerted by former-Attorney General Alberto
Gonzales and a rogue commissioner, and that the Commission acted
illegally by violating statutes handed down by Congress, its own
regulations and U.S. Constitution.

The government will next file a brief responding to our team's brief,
and Veronza's attorneys will have the opportunity to reply. This
process will take several more months. Then the judges will have the
option of hearing oral argument in Atlanta, or deciding the case
based upon the briefs alone.

Thanks, as always, for your continued help and support. I will keep you posted.

Monty
--

http://www.veronza.org