[Ppnews] "What solidarity means": a letter from Gilboa Prison

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 21 17:09:51 EDT 2010

"What solidarity means": a letter from Gilboa Prison

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article11347.shtml
Ameer Makhoul, The Electronic Intifada, 21 June 2010

Ameer Makhoul is a human rights defender, the director of the Arab
nongovernmental organization network Ittijah, a leading voice of the
Palestinian boycott, divestment and sanctions movement and a
Palestinian citizen of Israel. He has been in Israeli detention since
he was arrested from his family home in Haifa in the early morning
hours of 6 May. Initially his arrest could not be reported under an
Israeli gag order, and he was not allowed to see his lawyers for
almost two weeks. Eventually charged with "espionage," local and
international human rights organizations have condemned Israel's
actions against him as politically-motivated persecution intended to
crack down on organizing by Palestinian citizens within Israel and
international solidarity. On the very day Makhoul was arrested, The
Electronic Intifada published an article it had received from him
days earlier, titled,
"<http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article11250.shtml>Israel's
repression of its Palestinian citizens unites us in struggle." He