[Ppnews] Carlos Alberto Torres - Free, After a Fashion, at Last

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 27 15:31:40 EDT 2010

Carlos Alberto Torres - Free, After a Fashion, at Last

Tuesday 27 July 2010

by: David Gespass, t r u t h o u t | News Analysis
http://www.truth-out.org/carlos-alberto-torres-free-after-a-fashion-last61745

History is generally written by the victors.
Thus, the American Revolution is recorded as a
just struggle for liberation by colonies formerly
subject to the whim of the despotic King George
III. The "Tories" who supported the king and
opposed independence, even though they made up as
large a percentage of the population as the
revolutionaries who called for independence, are
reviled in our text books for choosing the wrong side.

Puerto Rico is today and has been since the
Spanish-American War in 1898 a colony of the
United States. It took half a century, until
1948, before its people were allowed to elect
their governor. In 1952, the US Congress declared
it no longer a protectorate, but a
"commonwealth." But while the euphemisms changed,
Puerto Rico's colonial status did not. One might
think that a country like the United States,
incubated and born in the armed struggle against
colonial authority, would show some empathy to
those who chose the path of revolution against an occupier. One would be wrong.

I met Carlos Alberto Torres in 1985 after a
National Lawyers Guild colleague from Chicago
stayed at our home in Birmingham when she visited
him in federal prison in Alabama. By then, he had
served five years of his 78-year sentence for
"seditious conspiracy," the official charge for
engaging, as a member of the Puerto Rican
independence group, Fuerzas Armadas de Liberación
Nacional (FALN), the Armed Forces for National
Liberation, in revolutionary struggle for the
liberation of the colony from the United States.
Not entirely parenthetically, Judge Learned Hand
referred to the charge of conspiracy as "that
darling of the modern federal prosecutor's
nursery," since it requires so little in the way
of proof. Indeed, whatever Carlos was convicted
and sentenced for, it was not for causing physical harm to a single person.

After that visit and over the next several years
until he was moved to a more remote federal
prison, I was fortunate to see him periodically
though, in retrospect, not often enough. Carlos
never imposed on me and always assured me that
knowing I was available if he needed help was
enough for him. But he was far from friends and
family and I was his one personal contact with
the free world. His father was able to visit him
once that I recall while he was in Alabama.

During the years he was in Alabama, his interest
was rarely over his own fate. More often, he
would want to talk to me about the needs of
fellow inmates or matters of concern to the
population as a whole. Still, I had the
opportunity to discuss with him how he should
reconcile his desire to get out of prison with
his political principles. He had, at his trial,
refused to recognize the jurisdiction of a
colonial court to try him, insisting he be
treated as a national of a free and independent
country seized as a prisoner of war.

The man I remember was soft-spoken, reflective,
serious and caring. He was certainly committed to
the cause of his homeland's independence and the
betterment of the Puerto Rican people. One can
debate his tactical choices and whether
independence is the best course for Puerto Rico,
though it seems odd that being a colony would
ever be a preferable option to the colonized.
What no one who has sat down and talked to Carlos
can doubt is his fundamental decency and his
sincerity. That is something President Clinton
had not done before he offered clemency in 1999
to 12 other Puerto Rican political prisoners, but refused to include Carlos.

Despite his more than 30 years in custody, Carlos
contributed much. He invested in his fellow
prisoners, teaching them literacy in both English
and Spanish, earned a college degree and mastered
the skills of painting and pottery making,
exhibiting his work throughout the US, Puerto
Rico and Mexico. But he could have contributed so
much more had he been freed sooner. Finally, he
is about to be released on parole. Celebrations
took place July 26 in Chicago and are planned for
July 27 in Puerto Rico, to honor him on his
release. It is indeed cause for celebration, but
thoughts of what might and should have been in a
world and a country that looked at the real
individual and not the image portrayed by
prosecutors and the media, lend a sobriety and
somberness to the joy of the occasion.

Not quite a year ago, I became the president of
the National Lawyers Guild. As such, I have the
good fortune to boast of the remarkable work done
by our members, which is to say to brag about
what other people do. So, I take pride in the
report that our International Committee presented
to the UN Decolonization Hearings on June 21 of
this year, even though I did not contribute a
comma to it. The report exposed the ways in which
the United States maintains
<http://hcvanalysis.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/natl-lawyers-guild-paper-on-puerto-rico-to-be-presented-at-un-decolonization-comm-hearings-on-June-21/>colonial
control over Puerto Rico and discussed the
resistance to that control and the human rights violations that accompany it.

It then went on to discuss the (to coin a phrase)
cruel and unusual sentences imposed on Puerto
Rican independentistas. It mentioned two in
particular who had spent decades in custody,
Carlos and Oscar López Rivera, as well as Avelino
González Claudio. The Guild, along with many
other organizations, had previously passed
resolutions calling for their release and,
following the presentation, so, too, did the
Decolonization Committee. Thus, our happiness
over Carlos' release is further tempered by the
continuing incarceration of the other two
prisoners. The campaign for their release
continues. We will do our part, but we recognize
that it will be - as it always has been - a
larger movement than just the National Lawyers
Guild that wins justice for the oppressed.

For further information click <http://www.boricuahumanrights.org>here.