[Ppnews] Support Africa Today and Walter Turner!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 26 10:35:33 EDT 2010

Just to add that Walter is one of the few people to also consistently
support and air stories about u.s. political prisoners.
claude

A PERSONAL PLEA TO SUPPORT "AFRICA TODAY"

  Yesterday at 9:54pm

Hotep Africans,

I am forwarding you this urgent message below from our Brother Walter
Turner regarding a proposed program change from the KPFA's acting
General Manager which would in short end brother Walter's ability to
host the much needed "Africa Today" program. This could mean the end
of this program as we know and depend on it as a media source for
both local, national, and international news on the African Continent
and the African Diaspora. We must support this Brother by writing the
KPFA folks below and letting them know that we don't support their
idea of the time change.

I ask you all both locally and out of the area to please take a small
bit of your time and let these people know how we feel about losing
that space and particularly our media scribe Brother Walter's ability
to host this program. Brother Walter does not get paid for his effort
of hosting this program so we are not talking about someone's job.
This is this Brothers service to African People. Let's show a strong
unity in this small but large segment of our struggle for uplifting our people.

In Struggle,
Naeem Deskins

Africa Today/ KPFA/ Your support is needed

From: Walter Turner Host/ Producer/Africa Today / KPFA

I am contacting you as a supporter and or long time listener of the
Program "Africa Today" on KPFA Radio in Berkeley, California.

AFRICA TODAY has been aired in various formats on KPFA Radio for more
than 30 years. The initial host of Africa Today was Faraha Hayati and
I have now hosted the program for more than 20 years.

I have been informed by Amelia Gonzalez, the Acting Assisitant
General Manager of KPFA that there is a proposal to change the time
slot of Africa Today from 7PM on Monday evenings to 11AM during a
weekday. This time change will effectively end my ability to produce
and host Africa Today.

I have attached a letter to the Acting Assistant General Mangager
which explains my specific concerns regarding the proposed change and
the impact that it will on my ability to host and produce the program.

Africa Today on KPFA is one of a very few national media programs
that focuses on the Africa continent. Africa Today is a resource that
our global community can not afford to lose. Please voice your
support and work with others to voice collective support for the
retention of Africa Today, in its current time slot, on KPFA Radio.

Please voice your individual and collective concerns to the following
members of the KPFA administrative staff at your earliest convenience.

Thank you

Amelia Gonzalez [ amelia at kpfa.org)
Acting Asisting General Manager and Development Director

Ahmad Anderson ( ahmad at pacifica.org)
Interim General Manager